Why do people brew liu an with a piece of the bamboo wrapping?

Puerh and other heicha
d.manuk

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:39 pm

I'm guessing it's just tradition, but is there a reason?
Does the tea taste better?
tealifehk
Vendor

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 pm

It adds a hint of something special to the flavor profile. I got me a Hong Kong traditional storage basket from the 90s for the site. Not cheap, but wow! It tastes like fresh butter, dates and something like sweet pipe tobacco. The tea makes me sweat too, and the liquor is sweet with lovely huigan. Not sure if the butter is from the tea itself or the bit of wrapper I add to the pot with each session, but the combination is astonishing, and totally not what I expected!

Another reason I think the wrapper is added is for medicinal properties. Aged liu an is considered a medicinal tea by Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners, and after my experiences with this basket, I can truly say there is something special to aged liu an.
VaratPh
Vendor

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:37 am

Shine Magical wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:39 pm
I'm guessing it's just tradition, but is there a reason?
Does the tea taste better?
In TCM the bamboo is noted to help with clearing heat and mucous. It has a cooling nature. In the past when Liu An was used as part of a medicinal treatment, these properties helped with treating patients who were sick with fever and had a high temperature.

For drinking and appreciation only age bamboo leaves would be used to brew together with the tea. There is a mild bamboo flavor that combines quite nicely to the tea. Young bamboo leaves are usually avoided as they give a harsh flavor.