CNNP Fake(?) Mistakes in Nei Piao

Puerh and other heicha
Zubik

Mon May 08, 2023 7:55 am

Hi there!
A long time ago I bought such a cake by the CNNP company. This is shu puer, in an additional wrapper made of film
The seller claimed that he was 2008.
This cake lay with me for several years, until recently it caught my eye.
And what aroused my suspicion was the mistakes in neipiao (I remember the days of Abibas)
Further, when searching, the Red Mark refers to shen pu-erh, and shu pu-erh was found only twice.
To be honest, I don’t understand the tea of this company at all, but what is available looks like a fake.
Help :D
.m.

Mon May 08, 2023 10:53 am

It looks like a generic no name puerh, like something you could buy at a chinatown store. Likely not by CNNP, which by 2008 used their custom wrappers. Also since 2007 most official production would feature a QS symbol (could be at the back i guess). Typos on neipiao are something of a classic, quite a few of 80s-90s productions feature some.
Zubik

Mon May 08, 2023 11:15 am

.m. wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:53 am
It looks like a generic no name puerh, like something you could buy at a chinatown store. Likely not by CNNP, which by 2008 used their custom wrappers. Also since 2007 most official production would feature a QS symbol (could be at the back i guess). Typos on neipiao are something of a classic, quite a few of 80s-90s productions feature some.
Thank you!
That is, with a high probability, can this cake be considered a souvenir?
Are these typos intentional or is it illiteracy / inattention of underground manufacturers?

On the back of the "old" packing method

Yunnan sourcing also has a similar cake, but with a blue mark.

.m.

Mon May 08, 2023 4:18 pm

You'll have to try to know. It probably won't be stellar, but if you're lucky could turn out good enough to drink. :)
aet
Vendor

Mon May 08, 2023 9:50 pm

Back in 04 - 07 or something around that , Zhong Cha brand was available for franchise kinda style with difference that there was no material check.
Means you could purchase a 1000 wrapers with that design and press , pack into it whatever you want. So on market could be 2 identical wrappers but with completly different material inside from two different producers. Therefore there is no fake or real.
I think from around 2010 the company COFCO bought the Zhong Cha and since then their products are protected by law in matter of faking. Anything before that is just whatever , could be Zhong Cha but also can be Mr.Ling, Mr.Wang ...or whoever had money and felt like investing into the puerh tea covered by known brand. Not mentionig the fact that actual faking this brand is continuing till present.
That's why they call it generic cake.

The misprints were and are common till now even on offical level ( on traffic signs on highway or in city ) , let alone some private tea company.
Packing can be done in any style right now. Yes, the new syle of packing outrules the possibility of tea being old , but old style one could be done a month ago.
In fact, I was packing it sort of same way before I learned how to make the proper star with tile and the back ;-)

For some guidence of authencity of the nei piao or wrappers , there are some books https://www.pageoftea.com/fake-puer like here, but again. If you are making an old puerh, the missprinting is not a big hassle. Let alone , you can use the original wrapper of sold / drunk tea , to wrap your fake cake into it ( of course this is not done on big scale and probably not on some cheap cakes which appear to the western buyer on internet ) .

Long story short, if you are not serious collector , don't bother with autheticity too much. Focus on $=what you want to have in your cup. I met many people who drink horrible tea but convinced them selves they like it because they were told it's very old and valuable piece they have. Life is too short to prioritaze ego above the actual joy ;-)
Bok
Vendor

Mon May 08, 2023 10:21 pm

aet wrote:
Long story short, if you are not serious collector , don't bother with autheticity too much. Focus on $=what you want to have in your cup. I met many people who drink horrible tea but convinced them selves they like it because they were told it's very old and valuable piece they have. Life is too short to prioritaze ego above the actual joy ;-)
+1 Frame that.
Zubik

Tue May 09, 2023 5:09 am

aet wrote:
Back in 04 - 07 or something around that , Zhong Cha brand was available for franchise kinda style with difference that there was no material check.
Means you could purchase a 1000 wrapers with that design and press , pack into it whatever you want. So on market could be 2 identical wrappers but with completly different material inside from two different producers. Therefore there is no fake or real.
I think from around 2010 the company COFCO bought the Zhong Cha and since then their products are protected by law in matter of faking. Anything before that is just whatever , could be Zhong Cha but also can be Mr.Ling, Mr.Wang ...or whoever had money and felt like investing into the puerh tea covered by known brand. Not mentionig the fact that actual faking this brand is continuing till present.
That's why they call it generic cake.

The misprints were and are common till now even on offical level ( on traffic signs on highway or in city ) , let alone some private tea company.
Packing can be done in any style right now. Yes, the new syle of packing outrules the possibility of tea being old , but old style one could be done a month ago.
In fact, I was packing it sort of same way before I learned how to make the proper star with tile and the back ;-)

For some guidence of authencity of the nei piao or wrappers , there are some books https://www.pageoftea.com/fake-puer like here, but again. If you are making an old puerh, the missprinting is not a big hassle. Let alone , you can use the original wrapper of sold / drunk tea , to wrap your fake cake into it ( of course this is not done on big scale and probably not on some cheap cakes which appear to the western buyer on internet ) .

Thanks for the detailed answer :)

The head is not only for eating and drinking, so I want to understand more. And it is best to learn from mistakes.

I know that the market is full of fakes, but this case is very bright, judging by everything.
Earlier, I had cases of fakes, but I detected them by the taste of the tea. For example, Pu'er from Da Yi, which I recently drank, was very similar to the taste of soda (sodium bicarbonate). I poured vinegar into dry tea and it hissed.
In the soviet union, the method of "improving tea" with the help of soda was widespread. Soda makes even clear tea darker and more aromatic, because everything is strongly extracted from the leaves
aet
Vendor

Tue May 09, 2023 10:25 am

Zubik wrote:
For example, Pu'er from Da Yi, which I recently drank, was very similar to the taste of soda (sodium bicarbonate). I poured vinegar into dry tea and it hissed.
In the soviet union, the method of "improving tea" with the help of soda was widespread. Soda makes even clear tea darker and more aromatic, because everything is strongly extracted from the leaves
I'm not sure if I understood correctly. Is that the dry leave hissed because there was a sodium bicarbonate mixed in the tea cake?
So the other puerh cakes do not hiss when pouring a vinegar on them?
Do you test all cakes like that?
Do you test GZ or KM storage for example?
Is it a sheng or shu that hissle?
Sorry for so many questions, I actually grew up in Sov.Uni ;-) but honestly never heard of this method of "improving the tea".
Zubik

Tue May 09, 2023 10:57 am

aet wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:25 am
Zubik wrote:
For example, Pu'er from Da Yi, which I recently drank, was very similar to the taste of soda (sodium bicarbonate). I poured vinegar into dry tea and it hissed.
I'm not sure if I understood correctly. Is that the dry leave hissed because there was a sodium bicarbonate mixed in the tea cake?
So the other puerh cakes do not hiss when pouring a vinegar on them?
Do you test all cakes like that?
Do you test GZ or KM storage for example?
Is it a sheng or shu that hissle?
Sorry for so many questions, I actually grew up in Sov.Uni ;-) but honestly never heard of this method of "improving the tea".
You haven't heard them because you probably had nothing to do with the railroad or with a cafe (food service in general).
That did the conductors in compartment cars and canteen barmaids :)
The norm was based on one teaspoon, and the worker did 1/2
+ soda on the tip of a spoon. There is no difference in the end result
Just google it

No, I only did with this tea, because I smelled the taste of soda. I even rejoiced, because I heard about it, but never saw it.
This is was shu puer Da Yi Reunion 2019
I added vinegar for the reaction. Vinegar+soda=sizzle
aet
Vendor

Tue May 09, 2023 8:02 pm

Zubik wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:57 am

You haven't heard them because you probably had nothing to do with the railroad or with a cafe (food service in general).
That did the conductors in compartment cars and canteen barmaids :)
The norm was based on one teaspoon, and the worker did 1/2
+ soda on the tip of a spoon. There is no difference in the end result

wow! as a child we use to travel from Sov.Uni to Czechoslovakia on train for 3 days.
I remember the most is the tea they served ...;-))) and I was drinking the soda .....!!!!! ;-DD
Thanks for the info, I'll try on some cakes as well here.