How do you consistently get Hui Gan?

Puerh and other heicha
Randy the Intern

Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:25 am

This is something that’s eluding me. I’ve really been trying to figure out how to reliably get this sensation from my tea. I’ve mostly only noticed this out of young, raw puer teas.

I have some tea that seems to produce this sensation a little less than half the times I drink it. I’m aware of the parameters I’ve used when I’ve produced the effect, and I keep repeating them the same as before, but sometimes it just tastes flat.

Can you grow numb to Hui Gan through constant exposure to it? Something I’ve also wondered is if it’s something completely out of my control with a difference in material on each session. It’s the same tea sure, but one session I might have more leaf, or more bud, or more whole leaves than other sessions etc.

Help me understand this. How can I more reliably produce this effect?
Acc Hugh

Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:21 pm

Most convenient solution is to get GuShu material, traditionally processed.

Good huigan emits from diaphragm all the way up to the back of the throat.

1960s small trees has obvious huigan at the back of the throat.

And common taidi has sort of huigan around the mouth.

As bitterness n astringency softens after swallowing tea, huigan will usually follow, from polyphenols present in tea.
Zubik

Thu May 11, 2023 5:59 am

Hello!
I have been drinking different teas for 5 years now, mostly they were teas of dubious quality, albeit with a famous wrapper.
Everything changed half a year ago when I managed to get 2 raw pu-erh cakes and some green tea from trees 400-450 years old. No wrapper, no company. It was a direct gift.
This is the first time I felt what a hui gun is.

Cake 1: a young raw pu-erh cake, so colorful from the buds that I felt sorry for breaking it. The smell was of honey with flowers, which made its way even through plastic wrap.
So this is the first experience of hui gan after drinking tea. This feeling is probably comparable when you drank honey with menthol. The back of the mouth and throat seemed to be covered with tissue, when inhaling there was a coolness and this feeling did not go away for a long time. The effect itself turned into qi energy and I lay and thought for a long time.
These are things that cannot be described, they only need to be felt.

Cake 2: This is raw pu-erh in the shape of a brick, a large leaf and a bud. Dude, this is generally the first experience of drinking pu-erh with ginger-mushroom flavor.
To say that my throat and mouth were in euphoria is to say nothing.Moreover, the taste, smell and taste that was felt on the throat were different.And with every breath by your mouth you feel this sensation with renewed vigor.

I ran out of this tea and depression began :D :D
Bok
Vendor

Thu May 11, 2023 6:29 am

If it’s the same tea then it might be you! Health and personal condition, even mood, can change the result of the brew.

I know in some states of mind I better not make any expensive teas, as I wouldn’t be able to get the best out of them.

Huigan is quite common in Oolong, especially the Taiwanese High mountain teas.
wave_code

Thu May 11, 2023 9:49 am

One way to get the material more consistent if you haven't already done so is to break up and properly 'wake up' the cake. Not only would it help even out the distribution of the different type of material if the cake is inconsistent, but also what parts of the cake have seen more air exposure than others.
Baisao

Thu May 11, 2023 2:09 pm

I’ve only had it with wild or feral Taiwanese oolongs. I’ve had a similar sensation with pu but it has been from contact with camphor wood.