Pesticide odor from '04 & '12 Xiaguan

Puerh and other heicha
CWarren

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:23 pm

tealifehk wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 pm

I'm considering selling off bits so people can get to know the odor!
I’d leave out any mention of Raid in your description. :D But seriously it sounds like something I’d avoid. I think about that EoT pesticide sample set they offer and though I understand and appreciate the reasoning behind offering it I don’t think I could ever willingly buy something I knew was laced with something. I save that for the supermarket and for surprise tea purchases where I wasn’t expecting it. Grin. Hope you can do something with it. Any chance the seller got it from another seller that had fumigated their warehouse? That could explain why only a partial part of your teas were that way.
tealifehk
Vendor

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:08 am

CWarren wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:23 pm
tealifehk wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 pm

I'm considering selling off bits so people can get to know the odor!
I’d leave out any mention of Raid in your description. :D But seriously it sounds like something I’d avoid. I think about that EoT pesticide sample set they offer and though I understand and appreciate the reasoning behind offering it I don’t think I could ever willingly buy something I knew was laced with something. I save that for the supermarket and for surprise tea purchases where I wasn’t expecting it. Grin. Hope you can do something with it. Any chance the seller got it from another seller that had fumigated their warehouse? That could explain why only a partial part of your teas were that way.
Two different sellers and two opposite ends of Southern China! Guangdong and Yunnan. I have the boxed 2012s airing out and they're doing much better. the '04s are much funkier. And I have lots of Xiaguan tea from both dealers. Definitely not a warehouse issue!
Psyck

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 am

tealifehk wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:00 pm
Psyck wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:01 am
Why not get them tested for pesticides in a lab like many vendors appear to be doing nowadays?
Costs thousands of USD per tea! :lol: I only have 1-5 tuos each of these three teas (samples)!
Yeah I know it is expensive, the suggestion to have them tested wasn't to salvage those specific teas in particular but rather to validate for yourself the accuracy of your senses in detecting pesticides, which should help you as a vendor in the long term.
tealifehk
Vendor

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:58 am

Psyck wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 am
tealifehk wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:00 pm
Psyck wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:01 am
Why not get them tested for pesticides in a lab like many vendors appear to be doing nowadays?
Costs thousands of USD per tea! :lol: I only have 1-5 tuos each of these three teas (samples)!
Yeah I know it is expensive, the suggestion to have them tested wasn't to salvage those specific teas in particular but rather to validate for yourself the accuracy of your senses in detecting pesticides, which should help you as a vendor in the long term.
While that would be interesting, it's possible what I'm smelling is a petrochemical carrier and not the actual pesticide (a carrier is used to dissolve a solid pesticide so it can be sprayed). So while the tea may be within limits, it may just be funky because of the solvent used.

I can't really afford to shell out thousands of USD on testing a tea just to prove or disprove my senses at this point though. Wish I could!
tealifehk
Vendor

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:51 am

I have the tuos airing out. The humidity here dropped to around 25% yesterday, which is the lowest I've ever seen it drop here in HK! The odor does appear to be dissipating. :) Slowly but surely.