Science behind letting puerh "rest" after shipment?

Puerh and other heicha
S_B

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:21 pm

You want someone to tell you it's ok to drink your CLT samples today, huh? :lol:
lemme have my confirmation bias and fun lol
Atlas

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:32 pm

mrmopu wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:53 am
-snip-
Welp, I pulled my tea out of the fridge last night, and just drank it now.

The 2005/2001 Awazon shu tasted much the same as it does every other time I drink it when steeped normally. I let the fourth steep run on until the tea was basically black, and it tasted heavily of prunes, which is not something I've tasted in this tea before. It was also very-slightly sour in a way that I haven't detected in this tea before when overbrewed.

The 8582-806 tasted much the same, but there was a mild wet-sourness that is atypical, and I recognised it immediately.

I little while ago I stored some of the 8582 and some 2015 Sen Zhi Kui Cake of Jingmai in small plastic bags at 71%, 75% and 100% humidity for about a month to see how long it might take for them to develop mould at my usual temperatures.

The 100% quickly developed a mild unpleasant cold/wet kind of smell (and the leaves became very malleable), and the 75% had a little of that toward the end as well. When the 100% developed mould, I drank the 75/71% and detected the same mild wet-sourness in each of those to what I'm getting today.

I wonder if sealed tea experiencing a period of very low temperature can cause humidity to spike and support some sort of microbial action that isn't typically seen at sane temps/humidity. I have another pot's worth of the 8582 that I'll be tasting in another two weeks, leaving the mylar foil bag sealed to see if anything changes.

The 8582 did not regain any of the elements that made it undrinkable when it arrived from the vendor, so I'm still inclined to think that there is an element of needing to air out after removal from tong/warehouse that exists separate to what's going on here.

Mopar, interested to hear your thoughts when you try your samples.
mrmopu

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:46 pm

Atlas wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:32 pm
mrmopu wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:53 am
-snip-
Welp, I pulled my tea out of the fridge last night, and just drank it now.

The 2005/2001 Awazon shu tasted much the same as it does every other time I drink it when steeped normally. I let the fourth steep run on until the tea was basically black, and it tasted heavily of prunes, which is not something I've tasted in this tea before. It was also very-slightly sour in a way that I haven't detected in this tea before when overbrewed.

The 8582-806 tasted much the same, but there was a mild wet-sourness that is atypical, and I recognised it immediately.

I little while ago I stored some of the 8582 and some 2015 Sen Zhi Kui Cake of Jingmai in small plastic bags at 71%, 75% and 100% humidity for about a month to see how long it might take for them to develop mould at my usual temperatures.

The 100% quickly developed a mild unpleasant cold/wet kind of smell (and the leaves became very malleable), and the 75% had a little of that toward the end as well. When the 100% developed mould, I drank the 75/71% and detected the same mild wet-sourness in each of those to what I'm getting today.

I wonder if sealed tea experiencing a period of very low temperature can cause humidity to spike and support some sort of microbial action that isn't typically seen at sane temps/humidity. I have another pot's worth of the 8582 that I'll be tasting in another two weeks, leaving the mylar foil bag sealed to see if anything changes.

The 8582 did not regain any of the elements that made it undrinkable when it arrived from the vendor, so I'm still inclined to think that there is an element of needing to air out after removal from tong/warehouse that exists separate to what's going on here.

Mopar, interested to hear your thoughts when you try your samples.
I am still stuck in transit for what I wanted to experiment with. It has reached Los Angeles so hopefully soon. I may seal some as well and see how it performs. I see you saw some differences in yours.