Fake pu

Puerh and other heicha
LeoFox

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:15 pm

Another gem from @aet!

https://www.pageoftea.com/fake-puer

Now the article claims that this will happen to me:
very important ! ….If you feel like to share this article with others on some Tea Forum , please do not share it by “copy-paste” method , you will just get your self banned , as we did! Find a smart way how to pass the “message”.
So I guess soon I will be banned or replaced by a bot :lol:

Here are some spicy nuggets:
...you can not entirely rely on your knowledge of the wrappers since faking those has been mastered many moons ago and reached the level as fa as making it eaten by worms so it look authentic old. Just simply sprinkle with 米浆 (rice milk) , wrap it in kitchen foil but the way that ants and worms still can get in and they’ll do the job:-D

The very common and most convenient for sellers is to sell loose shu or sheng pu-erh where the complexity of faking the label doesn’t exist. Just need to put into some bamboo basket and claim the date of your liking. Various techniques are applied as light fermentation for the old shengs or the excessive wet storage for shu puerh. There are also variations / combinations of changing environment from wet to dry or vice versa.

Few factors is good to consider before you make any 20+ years old loose tea. It is not convenient to store big amounts of sheng puerh because big leafs taking lots of space and during the time they are also braking into smaller pieces ( mainly pieces at the bottom of the box ) . Shu pu-erh is made for consumption not for aging and getting 30 or something years old shu pu-erh is very rare these days ( might change in next generation because massive production might not be compensate by demand ) . Legit tea like this , is not sold to someone for few CNY , yet I would be skeptical that any foreigner just come alone and buy it on tea market , then claim “I’ve got it from the trusted source” . Be vigilant to those claims! It is part of the marketing.

Not only the age but also the grade faking can be as far as inventive like mixing very old / unwanted black tea Jin Si ( known as golden tips ) with some cheap grade of shu puerh and pressing it together to make it look like high grade of shu pu-erh called “Gong Ting” . Using few years old Liu Bao tea and pack it as 40y old sheng pu-erh. These kind of things you are not going to hear from your favorite vendor’s Youtube channel neither on some Pu-erh club on social media like Facebook , where any scandals around the tea are not welcomed ( we got burned few times already, so talking from personal experience ) .

One tea , many labels is the well know concept coming from the place called “ba gong li” ( 8 kilometers ) , which stands for being located 8km from Menghai. Very common processing of very cheap grade of pu-erh tea when mixture of various areas teas or cheap bush tea brought from Lincang area, is pressed into the cakes, brigs ,.etc. , then wrapped into the various labels with different names of the places like Yiwu, Bingdao, Laobangzhan ..etc. These are ending up on Tao Bao or some small vendors on the street sold from 20 – 300 CNY per piece. So far not many foreigners are interested into this concept ( we only know few Russians ) , but if you choose to do this concept from one single batch , you need to separate the tea and store those different labels for some time in different places in order to achieve different taste ( so your Bingdao is not exactly the same as your Laobangzhan ) . In China is proceeded by separating those labels in different provinces with different climate, like Kunming , Guangzhou etc. Experienced pu-erh drinker will spot that something is not right , but honestly…how many experienced pu-erh tea drinkers are out there?

Very common way of faking the Gu Shu is to leave long stems on bush tea with big leafs.

There is lot’s of going on especially on FB tea groups. Random people offering or even just show off the 1000 years old Gu Shu or as far as 60 years old whatever tea, hoping to get some “buy” requests. 
[...]
It is very hard to determine which one is real and you can rely only on good reputation of the seller in that group ( unless the group is made by the seller him/her self;)
[...]
So why is some people offering those kind of teas to foreigners? Pretty simple. In China this “fake tea” issue is know already for many years , it has been mentioned in news, papers, local social medias. So people are generally more cautious and don’t go for it anymore , rather chose the taste of the tea. As most of the pu-erh tea drinkers in China who drink pu-erh at least 1 year, they do recognize what they like or not ( which is very different form pu-erh market abroad ) . So sales for those fake teas are dropping down and some smart vendors are trying luck abroad, because foreigners are still known for being easily cheated in that matter. There is plenty of it popping out these days ( like mushrooms after rain ) from Taiwan, Malaysia etc., where is very good environment for fast maturing ( more in Tea Storage article ) .
Attachments
SmartSelect_20210830-211537_Samsung Internet.jpg
SmartSelect_20210830-211537_Samsung Internet.jpg (375.14 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
Last edited by LeoFox on Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:57 pm

Some more good reading and what anyone who likes to drink Puerh should read and keep in mind…

Why that would get anyone banned is beyond me though… more like being awarded a medal for services to the community if you ask me.
Chadrinkincat

Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:42 pm

@Bok

Banned for posting this info? I call BS on that. This info isn’t new and it certainly isn’t a secret.

The only reason anyone would get in trouble for posting this info would be if the poster was a vendor and the mods felt like it was self promotion under the guise of helpful info.
LeoFox

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:00 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Bok

Banned for posting this info? I call BS on that. This info isn’t new and it certainly isn’t a secret.

The only reason anyone would get in trouble for posting this info would be if the poster was a vendor and the mods felt like it was self promotion under the guise of helpful info.
Sure it is not new, since the scamming has been going on for a while. But can you kindly direct us to some other sources that neatly summarize comparable information in english?
Baisao

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:15 am

@pedant, please ban @LeoFox. It’s clear he shared this forbidden knowledge by “copy-paste” method.
aet
Vendor

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:56 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Bok

That was my wife posting on FB and she wasn't registered or known as vendor back then.
I've posted article about cheating in Fengqing on Reddit and also was deleted ( not banned thought , that was only my wife on FB that time ) .
In both cases when I contacted admins , the issue was resolved, so no self promo was mentioned as the reason for deleting , but just " sorry , misunderstanding " ...in both cases same answer ;)
aet
Vendor

Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:06 am

I have updated another info few min. ago.

Smart Cake - is the concept of puer tea cake which looks nice for eye so it is a good seller and has some proprieties of the claim ( the wrapper ) . Typical example would be Bing Dao and Lao Ban Zhang. As the good looking part is usually used Jing Gu mao cha from varietal Jin Pu Hao as this tea has mostly big fat tips. Those will make the cake sexy. The blending part depends on what is going to be. If Lao Ban Zhang , the Jing Gu mao cha is blended with some Bulang mountain material ( usually with some cheap Ku Cha ) , because LBZ is known for it's biterness. If Bing Dao , then Lincang material is used ( which is processed by new technique Xing Gong Yi - high temp. kill green ) which is aromatic and flowery , as the real Bingdao would be.

Pictures are from tea vendors / re-sellers who basically do only such a "project " teas , which sell by boxes ( 42 cakes only ) , so can't get a demo ( sample ) which I'd like to share with community. Maybe one day will do some "educational" sampling. Yet , I'm worried , that any friendly step from the vendor is taken as Promo.

In fairness , I'm not asking for any advertisement or medals , yet I believe if I've spent quite time to write that all up and actually expose some stuff , so I believe is more than fair that our online shop is linked to that blog.

In fact , from my G-Analytics observation , is other-way around. People find our shop , buy maybe something , then curious and read the blog.
Attachments
Pseudo-Laobanzhang.jpeg
Pseudo-Laobanzhang.jpeg (174.04 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
Fake-Laobanzhang.jpeg
Fake-Laobanzhang.jpeg (152.42 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
mbanu

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:25 am

I can't speak for other places on Reddit, but I was threatened with banning on /r/tea unless I avoided talking about bad business practices generally (such as counterfeiting and adulteration) among sellers of Chinese tea. Criticizing individual sellers was of course already not allowed due to Rule 11.

Usually the standard practice over there is to shadow-delete problematic posts and comments without saying anything. So they will hide the post or comment so that only you can see it when logged in. Unless you read a thread while not logged in, it is not obvious that it has been hidden, so this apparently makes a lot of problems go away for them. However, if you message the mods and they can't point to one of the sidebar rules the post or comment violates, they will usually restore your post or comment a few hours later.

In a heated moment, they told me I was the only one on /r/tea with a special set of rules just for me. :lol: I doubt it was true, but I certainly hope it was, as nothing kills conversation more than having two people appearing to have a discussion when both are operating under hidden restraints to avoid being banned for reasons not listed in the official rules.
mrmopu

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:42 am

I think the information sharing about these things is great. We have all known of the big factory forgers and now it is getting to the smaller ones. I think any information that can help us in the West is greatly appreciated to inform us and broaden our knowledge. I have known about the DaYi fakes and have a pretty good grasp on that and adding another weapon to discern these things is a welcome addition. Thanks to Leo and Aet.
aet
Vendor

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:45 am

LeoFox wrote:
Sure it is not new, since the scamming has been going on for a while. But can you kindly direct us to some other sources that neatly summarize comparable information in english?
in matter of fact , I hardly could find anything close to that in Chinese. When I chat with some friends tea vendors on market about the stuff I write, they are very curious to read the blog ( But they can't read English ;) ) . Some info is new even for them and that's because they sit all day in their tea shop and trying to sell tea. I go to different places ( shops ) almost each time I go to market. Searching for new suppliers etc.

Chinese people in general don't like to get into the scandal / conflict and if something is not related to them personally or can't get a direct profit out of something, then they don't bother with it. I believe by sharing such an info can benefit to all of us ( vendors and buyers ) in long term and overall , not directly.
DailyTX

Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:57 am

Late to the party, this seems like a very interesting discussion. When I visit China, I typically swing by tea shops to restock tea. Although fake Dayi is well known. I am curious if anyone has thoughts about trustworthiness of “authorized seller” from a certain factories? ;)
chadao

Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:49 am

DailyTX wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:57 am
Late to the party, this seems like a very interesting discussion. When I visit China, I typically swing by tea shops to restock tea. Although fake Dayi is well known. I am curious if anyone has thoughts about trustworthiness of “authorized seller” from a certain factories? ;)
Ask for proof of authorized seller-ness; try to cross-reference with "find our products in these stores..." link on factories' marketing materials, otherwise, gamble with whomever tells you the best story.
Chadrinkincat

Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:23 am

LeoFox wrote:
Chadrinkincat wrote:
Bok

The information is scattered around on blogs, other forums, Reddit, FB etc.
klepto

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:26 pm

If I drag a sack of leaves to a village somewhere near Yiwu then I can sell it for much more right? Let's be honest consumers are marks in all countries. I'm sure even the most experienced among us has been bit by fake tea. I'm producing some DAYI NFTs, anyone interested?!
aet
Vendor

Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:17 pm

klepto wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:26 pm
If I drag a sack of leaves to a village somewhere near Yiwu then I can sell it for much more right? Let's be honest consumers are marks in all countries. I'm sure even the most experienced among us has been bit by fake tea. I'm producing some DAYI NFTs, anyone interested?!
these guys too ;)