Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:47 am

I wouldn’t buy that
steanze
Vendor

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:32 pm

cbrace wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:45 am
Here's one:

2010 Year Puer Tea 357g Premium TAETEA 7542 Raw Cake Sheng Chinese Dayi Lose Weight Tea Pu-erh

mrmopuopu, anything catch your eye?
If you can't spot that it says "7572" instead of "7542" on the cake, you might want to buy from reputable vendors instead of gambling on aliexpress ;) usually fakes can be really plausible, you need to be able to observe very fine details to spot them. This is a very easy one.
Last edited by steanze on Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steanze
Vendor

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:39 pm

Also, 2010 7572 looks like this:
2010_7572.jpg
2010_7572.jpg (403.57 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
I guess once they had a fake that's green and has the number 7572 on it, they decided that it was more plausible to pass it for a tea with the same color and a different number, than a tea with a different color entirely :D
mrmopu

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:59 pm

cbrace wrote:
Here's one:

2010 Year Puer Tea 357g Premium TAETEA 7542 Raw Cake Sheng Chinese Dayi Lose Weight Tea Pu-erh

FAKE as mentioned 7542 is a raw production 7572 is a shou and should have a red outer wrapper.
mrmopu

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:04 pm

steanze wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:39 pm
Also, 2010 7572 looks like this:

I guess once they had a fake that's green and has the number 7572 on it, they decided that it was more plausible to pass it for a tea with the same color and a different number, than a tea with a different color entirely :D
Good catch Steanze. All the other stuff looked good till I saw the numeric code on it.
steanze
Vendor

Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:22 pm

mrmopu wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:04 pm

Good catch Steanze. All the other stuff looked good till I saw the numeric code on it.
Yes, also the 2010 7542 should have the flame with written "Guangzhou 2010" under it. The fake Aliexpress one doesn't have that either.
cbrace

Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:07 am

steanze wrote:
If you can't spot that it says "7572" instead of "7542" on the cake, you might want to buy from reputable vendors instead of gambling on aliexpress ;)
Your expertise is appreciated, your condescension is not.
aet
Vendor

Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:28 am

cbrace wrote:
Here's one:

I didn't have time to study the wrapper ( compare with the one I have home ) , but in general you can think that way. If somebody makes a fake copy , then they make a copy ;-) ...means the wrapper should look exactly the same and Chinese are very good at copying stuff...I guess we all agree ;-)
It is hard even to compare it by drinking as the other vendor can claim that their storage is different from what you have at home ( original supposedly ) to compare with. That's the better case , in worse case vendor can tell you " yours is fake , mine is real" ;-D
Some fakes can be obvious from very messed up copy ( print mistakes ) or from the material pressed in cake ( too many stems or too many tips...depends what tea are you comparing )

By taste is also possible ( shengs are easier ) , but as I said, hard to judge if buying same tea but different storage conditions over 10+ years.
Although some TF products have transparent price on their websites, yet , those are retail prices and wholesale is much different, so there is possible to sell Dayi for less than is sold on TB for example. ( I personally got some offers before to play this game )
I don't remember now if XG or Zhong Cha, but I think it's a XG - from this year has a rule for retail prices. If you are agent and sell for less than recommended price, you would get penalized. If you sell it to someone who re-sell it for less than rec.retail price, you also might get in trouble once they find out the origin ( which agent sold it to this vendor ) of those products.

Dayi , as I believe , has no any rules. So although they recommend 50$/cake , I can sell it for 20$ because I've purchased it 5y ago for 10$ and don't give a fiddlers about this tea anymore or just nobody is buying it for 50$ ...for example.

Because all in this "game of puer price " are 2 variables involved - 1.price - 2.value - and in most of the time , those two are far away from each other, so some vendors have to incline to "demand price" ( the price for which they can find a customer ) ...which also vary from what clientele you have ( where and what shop u have..etc.)

Please note, I do not refer to your linked product specifically, just writing that all as common knowledge.
StoneLadle

Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:49 am

cbrace wrote:
steanze wrote:
If you can't spot that it says "7572" instead of "7542" on the cake, you might want to buy from reputable vendors instead of gambling on aliexpress ;)
A wake up call rather than condescension... Tea isn't a snowflake's game generally unless you're into Verdant etc and all that horse shit
Bok
Vendor

Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:57 am

cbrace wrote:
steanze wrote:
If pointing out basic things as simply reading the label is condescending...

especially if everyone knows that Puerh is ripe with fakes and disinformation then careful examination is due diligence.
OCTO

Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:37 am

oooooo.. this thread is getting hot!!! 🔥🔥🔥
steanze
Vendor

Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:27 am

cbrace wrote:
steanze wrote:
It's advice, not condescension. This is a very obvious fake. Usually, fakes are much harder to spot than this. If you cannot tell apart fake cakes from real ones (it's ok, it's hard), you'll end up spending more by hunting bargains than by buying from a vendor who has vetted the tea. You'll want to ask about the vendor's vetting process. A good vendor should try all the teas they offer, that is the best way to identify the fakes. I get it that this is not what you wanted to hear, but don't shoot the messenger.

As an aside, it's worth keeping in mind that teas like Dayi 7542 are also traded as investment vehicles. Finding genuine 2010 7542 for $10/cake in quantity on aliexpress is about as likely as finding genuine gold bars at a fraction of the market price.
Iizuki

Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:12 am

aet wrote:
I don't remember now if XG or Zhong Cha, but I think it's a XG - from this year has a rule for retail prices. If you are agent and sell for less than recommended price, you would get penalized. If you sell it to someone who re-sell it for less than rec.retail price, you also might get in trouble once they find out the origin ( which agent sold it to this vendor ) of those products.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. Where can I see these price rulings?
wave_code

Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:30 am

As others have said if you want a reference tea, especially something that is affected by storage and is in the 10-20 year age range you want the tea that you had from THAT vendor. I've bought tea from the same batch from two different vendors that is around 15 years, and while I can tell its still the same tea they are also still very different with certain parts of the profile coming out in different ways arguably making one better than the other, and yes there was a significant difference in price between the two vendors.

As for pricing I feel like over time I've come to the conclusion that in general there is tea that can be a very good value for its price all across the board, that said there is almost never a bargain - if the price seems too good, there is a reason for it. I think this goes double with western facing vendors when you consider what portion of the market we even have access to. If you can't find that tea at a price you think is good or reasonable for the quantity you want to have it in or as a reference I'd try finding a better value for money tea. I've only ever tried some of their classic ripe recipes, and while I really enjoyed them given the price tag the name carries I felt like I could find better tea for that price elsewhere, unless you are planning to buy it immediately at release time and store it yourself, and even then...
aet
Vendor

Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:45 pm

Iizuki wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:12 am
aet wrote:
Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. Where can I see these price rulings?
I was told that by XG agent in verbal, I have no idea where they wrote it. Probably in terms and conditions for agents?