Wireless Hygrometer Recommendations

Puerh and other heicha
maitre_tea

Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:30 pm

I don't want to keep opening my pumidor to make sure that the temperature and relative humidity are okay, so do people have any recommendations for wireless hygrometers? Bonus points for ones w/wi-fi so I can check it from my phone.
Pants404

Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:35 pm

I have a boveda butler. It works well enough for casual monitoring, but it goes through a battery in 5-6 months (I have heard some people say it's more frequent), and it connects to my phone very intemittently. Sometimes I can go a day or two without it connecting to my phone while I am in the house.
After purchasing this unit I had heard good things mentioned about "sensor push" units.
I recently found that inkbird has a wireless hygrometer, which if I didn't already have the boveda sensor I would buy. Inkbird is a brand that I trust and have been very pleased with.
lopin

Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:22 am

i have recently bought 4 xiaomi hygro/termo meters. they are small, connect to app via bluettoth and you can track changes etc. they show about 5% more RH then my other hygrometer but consistently, so it could be counted for.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000713 ... hweb201603_
maitre_tea

Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:09 am

Pants404 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:35 pm
I have a boveda butler. It works well enough for casual monitoring, but it goes through a battery in 5-6 months (I have heard some people say it's more frequent), and it connects to my phone very intemittently. Sometimes I can go a day or two without it connecting to my phone while I am in the house.
After purchasing this unit I had heard good things mentioned about "sensor push" units.
I recently found that inkbird has a wireless hygrometer, which if I didn't already have the boveda sensor I would buy. Inkbird is a brand that I trust and have been very pleased with.
Those sensor push ones are nice - I need to get three hygrometers for different areas of my pumidor. If I were just getting one I would definitely spring for the sensor push one.
Pants404

Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:49 am

Due to recent events (tea shopping) I had a look at sensors today. The inkbird units are a quarter of the cost of the rest of them and I will be giving them a try when I set up the new humidor
Rickpatbrown

Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:30 am

maitre_tea wrote:

Those sensor push ones are nice - I need to get three hygrometers for different areas of my pumidor. If I were just getting one I would definitely spring for the sensor push one.
Do you really think that the humidity is different in differnet areas of your humidor? I suspect that differnet numbers are more due to differnet calibrations on the hydrometers. So long as you pumidor is sealed pretty well, I think the RH is pretty consistent.
maitre_tea

Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:45 am

Rickpatbrown wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:30 am
maitre_tea wrote:

Do you really think that the humidity is different in differnet areas of your humidor? I suspect that differnet numbers are more due to differnet calibrations on the hydrometers. So long as you pumidor is sealed pretty well, I think the RH is pretty consistent.
I have some heating pads in my humidor to warm the air a little, and since my humidor is taller than it is wide the hot air is rising which is making the top part of the humidor a little drier than the bottom (it's about a 5 RH difference). I've been playing around with the placement of my humidifier, and I expect once I get the placement of the heating pads and the humidifier right that the RH will be consistent throughout my humidor
beachape

Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:30 pm

I have the sensor push. Not cheap, but works great. The app works seamlessly and you can see fluctuations over time. I only use the Bluetooth function.