Tea Factory versus Private Production

Puerh and other heicha
aet
Vendor

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:29 pm

Another survey if I may ;-)
What makes you to buy TF labeled teas instead of small production teas?
If other way around - what makes you to buy tea from small producers instead of tea factories ?
I'm curious to read both sides. Please do not hesitate to write even some particular examples with sources, prices, taste comparing ...etc.

I'm hoping to read it as an open discussion , please no flames ;-D
pantry

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:43 pm

I sampled many (bought samples, drank at tea stores, drank at tea houses), and prefer the flavors and body feels of particular boutique labels over the others
Stephen

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:56 pm

By tea factory do you mean larger producers like Dayi or Xiaguan, or any size tea factory?

I tend to avoid large producers because I assume large agricultural productions can mean reduced quality of the raw material. I think it is the same with any agricultural product. The popular brand can also mean higher price. I tend to look for teas that have smaller production and also the characteristics of quality material. But older large productions can be good. And if I like a tea then I am interested.
DailyTX

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:18 am

aet wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:29 pm
Another survey if I may ;-)
What makes you to buy TF labeled teas instead of small production teas?
If other way around - what makes you to buy tea from small producers instead of tea factories ?
I'm curious to read both sides. Please do not hesitate to write even some particular examples with sources, prices, taste comparing ...etc.

I'm hoping to read it as an open discussion , please no flames ;-D
I only have a handful of years buying larger amount of tea(such as 1-2 tongs, a few 500-1000g bricks, rolls of tuo, etc.)with intent to drink them later. From what I was told, Factory Tea has more consistency. However, the quality of leaves may not be the best, it’s often blended tea, and popular brand such as Dayi has a lot of counterfeits. Last time I was in China was 2 years ago. Xiaguan had a much better value than Dayi, so I only purchased Xiaguan bricks.

As for small factory, it doesn’t come with big factory brand price. Often small factories have innovative tea either with processing method, single origin source, and other attractive marketing that allow me to amuse my tea learning curve
aet
Vendor

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:28 am

No need to be a big factory or producer If can handle marketing right. Gongfu Puer has a few shops in Kunming ( some in city centre ) and I believe also in GZ /SZ . Not a producer but they have some nice packaging which helps to sell tea with interesting margin.
1A257824-9E94-4A2D-BC7C-C93443655ECA.jpeg
1A257824-9E94-4A2D-BC7C-C93443655ECA.jpeg (664.14 KiB) Viewed 2147 times