dried out tou

Puerh and other heicha
thommes

Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:56 am

so i opened my lunch bag from march. suddenly remembered that i brought a few things home with tea-wise and one of them was a 100g tou that i had just opened. very dry. the shou breaks apart easily and tastes fine when steeped. wondering if i should make an effort to hydrate it or just consume the tea the way it is.
Balthazar

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:47 pm

Well, if it tastes fine then there's not much reason to worry, right? Also, did it not use to break apart easily? It sounds odd that it would have undergone a big transformation in just a couple of months.
Stephen

Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:03 pm

Tea stored poorly usually does better with a little time in better storage - although if you like how it brews now then it might not be an issue!
thommes

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Balthazar wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:47 pm
Well, if it tastes fine then there's not much reason to worry, right? Also, did it not use to break apart easily? It sounds odd that it would have undergone a big transformation in just a couple of months.
yeah the wrapper wsan't fully around the tou so maybe that helped the drying out process? this is likely the driest tou/brick/cake that I've broken up.
Balthazar

Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:41 am

Ah, so it was a tea you hadn't tried before? Any idea about its storage condition before you acquired it? Offices do tend to be dry due to air-conditioning. In any case, as long as you enjoy the tea I wouldn't worry about the tuo feeling dry. But as Stephen mentioned, storing it in better conditons for a while might help "wake it up" again.
thommes

Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:13 am

nah I did a bad job explaining. the tea has been sitting in the lunch bag in the kitchen since march. I had broken it open at work a couple times and when opened the lunch bag the wrapper wasn't 100% around the tou. I've had one of these tous before and dried out it's as good as I remember it but like I said I haven't had it since March. I just broke up some old bear fangcha and comparing that with this tou, the dried out tou pretty much crumbled when i stuck a knife into it, where as the fangcha was a pita to break up.