A Serious Question About Bad Tea Feeling

Puerh and other heicha
Elise

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:00 am

beachape wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:47 pm
Elise wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 pm
I’v tried it and found the symptoms linked with pesticides were quite easy to notice. Really interesting experience.
Curious if you can tell us more about what you noticed in the EOT pesticide test. I imagined it would be more of a taste/mouthfeel difference than symptom based.
Sorry for the late answer.
I’ve been tasting the sample with pesticides and the pesticide-free sample in parallel on the same session.
The main things I could notice with pesticides is a feeling of tightness in the back mouth and throat as well as a nausea-like sensation in the stomach. This is a feeling that lasts for a few hours so I re-tasted the pesticide-free sample some days later and nothing happened that time. So I assume that it is really linked with the chemicals present in the sample with pesticides. It is also some of he points that David from EoT points out, there are some other subtle things that I didn’t take time to find because I wasn’t happy to drink this sample with pesticides over and over until I could feel and smell it...
Baisao

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:04 am

I’ve had C. formosensis from several sources but it is always difficult to find. Emilio, at Jade Leaves, has some now:

https://thejadeleaf.com/collections/tea ... s/shan-cha

That’s fascinating about the indigenous tea around HK. Too bad it has to be so heavily protected it cannot be harvested in any amounts. I think C. formosensis is also protected, but in a way that is sustainable.

I am also curious about Japan’s so-called indigenous tea, “zairai”. It doesnt seem to be truly wild though and it may just be seed grown C. sinensis that is feral. If it isn’t actually indigenous tea, I wonder what is.
tealifehk
Vendor

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:43 am

C. sinensis var. waldenae isn't protected, but c. granthamiana is. I'm not even sure if granthamiana is usable for tea but waldenae has been used historically. I'm planning on going foraging for some in the spring since I don't even have to leave my island to find it--it grows on the mountain behind us!
mrmopu

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:35 am

tealifehk wrote:
C. sinensis var. waldenae isn't protected, but c. granthamiana is. I'm not even sure if granthamiana is usable for tea but waldenae has been used historically. I'm planning on going foraging for some in the spring since I don't even have to leave my island to find it--it grows on the mountain behind us!
I may ask for a cut of this.. :D
tealifehk
Vendor

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:44 am

mrmopu wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:35 am
tealifehk wrote:
I may ask for a cut of this.. :D
Turns out they're all protected :o

http://www.herbarium.gov.hk/DocFile/Spe ... 596922.pdf