A Serious Question About Bad Tea Feeling

Puerh and other heicha
kirkoneill1988

Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Chip wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Nope, never. Well actually once with the flowers from pu-erh plants.

I generally drink Japanese greens.
Ah
sifulee28
Vendor

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:55 pm

Some of the rougher symptoms of bad teas that may be relatable are scratchy tongue/throat, nausea and headaches. Most of these symptoms are most commonly attributed to ingesting some sort of agro-chemical such as pesticide or herbicide. I should mention that I only get these symptoms when I dare to taste teas outside of my trusted range of vendors.

Very simply, if you encounter a bad tea, best thing to do is to stop drinking it asap.

Other discussed effects of strong teas that are more debatable are symptoms such as highly increased heart-rate and mental stimulation such as feeling 'in the zone' or 'meditative state' or 'stoned' are more dependent on the drinker, both physically and contextually, and as a result, can vary somewhat between session to session.
Elise

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Concerning the above listed « bad feelings » eventually caused by chemicals, I recommend interested people to try EoT’s Tasting for Chemical - a guide, a tasting set of 2 different teas (1 with pesticide traces, 1 without) with comments and detailed analysis reports for the two teas.

I’v tried it and found the symptoms linked with pesticides were quite easy to notice. Really interesting experience.

This brings me to add my own comment. I think that the bad feelings described above are very possibly linked with the use of agrochemicals during the tea processing stages.
beachape

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Elise wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 pm
I’v tried it and found the symptoms linked with pesticides were quite easy to notice. Really interesting experience.
Curious if you can tell us more about what you noticed in the EOT pesticide test. I imagined it would be more of a taste/mouthfeel difference than symptom based.
FloatingLeaves
Vendor

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:34 pm

I've had similar symptoms from drinking low quality plantation tea from Yunnan. I drink young sheng puer pretty often, but only from trusted vendors who look for old tree material. For some reason, I've noticed that young bush teas from Yunnan often have a very powerful but uncomfortable feeling for me. It's very curious, because I drink lots of Taiwanese oolong and those bushes are almost always very young.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:06 pm

FloatingLeaves wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:34 pm
I've had similar symptoms from drinking low quality plantation tea from Yunnan. I drink young sheng puer pretty often, but only from trusted vendors who look for old tree material. For some reason, I've noticed that young bush teas from Yunnan often have a very powerful but uncomfortable feeling for me. It's very curious, because I drink lots of Taiwanese oolong and those bushes are almost always very young.
Might be in the processing. I had badly processed tea in Taiwan, which had a similar effect. How do I know, because it was a friend who made that tea on some sort of sightseeing tour :mrgreen:
kirkoneill1988

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Tertti wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:15 pm
The teaching of the day: Always sample before you buy a cake :)
It was a sample :)
kirkoneill1988

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:31 pm

oops i already replied that it was a sample, my bad
kirkoneill1988

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:33 pm

Wobudong wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 am
I believe that it could be partly from your diet/lifestyle. Are you a smoker (of cigarettes)? Drinker booze or coffee? Too much caffeine could lead to some part of the issue you are having. It could be too much fluoride, I recommend implementing a herbal tisane of 1 tsp of Tamarind concentrate in 12oz or 16oz if it's too lemony for you, once a day or 4 times a week. Also get the appropriate amount of calcium in your diet. And drink plenty of water (at least 8oz/hr) except before meals or 20-40 min after meals.
I'm not sure if I'm going to try it again.. you do have a point though.
beachape wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:39 pm
While I support avoiding pesticides, it sounds more like an aggressive young sheng. Try the tea after a meal, and brew the leaves a little lighter.
Could be that :)
kirkoneill1988

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:37 pm

sifulee28 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:55 pm
Some of the rougher symptoms of bad teas that may be relatable are scratchy tongue/throat, nausea and headaches. Most of these symptoms are most commonly attributed to ingesting some sort of agro-chemical such as pesticide or herbicide. I should mention that I only get these symptoms when I dare to taste teas outside of my trusted range of vendors.

Very simply, if you encounter a bad tea, best thing to do is to stop drinking it asap.

Other discussed effects of strong teas that are more debatable are symptoms such as highly increased heart-rate and mental stimulation such as feeling 'in the zone' or 'meditative state' or 'stoned' are more dependent on the drinker, both physically and contextually, and as a result, can vary somewhat between session to session.
I really don't think I'll try it again.

Although, The zone is a nice feeling for me.
Chris418

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:49 pm

It happen to me sometime with young puerh
nasalfrog

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52 pm

This started happening to me with almost all tea, mostly Chinese oolong, a long time ago, so I gave it up. I've started drinking tea, organic Japanese greens, over the last couple of years, and have not experienced it until I was under a lot of stress one day. Up until then, I assumed it was from pesticides. I think tea (most likely caffiene) + stress might be the combo for a bad experience. I find if I'm relaxed, tea amplifies that experience, and if I'm stressed it amplifies that too. I make it a point to do nothing and relax during my tea sessions and all is well. I haven't taken up Chinese oolongs again, so nothing too conclusive here, just my experience for anyone who may have a bad tea trip and need a potential cause.
kirkoneill1988

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:54 pm

nasalfrog wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52 pm
This started happening to me with almost all tea, mostly Chinese oolong, a long time ago, so I gave it up. I've started drinking tea, organic Japanese greens, over the last couple of years, and have not experienced it until I was under a lot of stress one day. Up until then, I assumed it was from pesticides. I think tea (most likely caffiene) + stress might be the combo for a bad experience. I find if I'm relaxed, tea amplifies that experience, and if I'm stressed it amplifies that too. I make it a point to do nothing and relax during my tea sessions and all is well. I haven't taken up Chinese oolongs again, so nothing too conclusive here, just my experience for anyone who may have a bad tea trip and need a potential cause.
For me, its mainly puerh that gives me a teadrunk feeling
Baisao

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:38 pm

In addition to what others have said, I’ll add that wild grown tea can also have mild effects on the mind and perception. I reason this is because of phytochemicals the wild plants produce to enhance their immunity and to make themselves less tasty to pests. You might call these self-produced pesticides, but I suspect there is something more elaborate taking place in these wild plants. We know that some chemicals in plants are used to communicate distress to neighboring plants so those plants can prepare themselves in advance for an attack by pests.

I have found wild grown maocha to be unpleasantly stimulating. Wild grown Camellia formosensis has played subtle tricks with my vision, making things a little more sparkly and otherworldly. The experiences with C. formosensis have been pleasant and relaxed. I should note, however, that others did not feel these sensations as strongly as I did so personal constitution is also at play here.

Regarding epic tea drinking sessions, some of the tea drunk feelings may be associated with water intoxication (electrolyte imbalance), not just the chemicals in tea.
Last edited by Baisao on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tealifehk
Vendor

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:54 am

Baisao wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:38 pm
In addition to what others have said, I’ll add that wild grown tea can also have mild effects on the mind and perception. I reason this is because of phytochemicals the wild plants produce to enhance their immunity and to make themselves less tasty to pests. You might call these self-produced pesticides, but I suspect there is something more elaborate taking place in these wild plants. We know that some chemicals in plants are used to communicating distress to neighboring plants so those plants can prepare themselves in advance for an attack by pests.

I have found wild grown maocha to be unpleasantly stimulating. Wild grown Camellia formosensis has played subtle tricks with my vision, making things a little more sparkly and otherworldly. The experiences with C. formosensis have been pleasant and relaxed. I should note, however, that others did not feel these sensations as strongly as I did so personal constitution is also at play here.

Regarding epic tea drinking sessions, some of the tea drunk feelings may be associated with water intoxication (electrolyte imbalance), not just the chemicals in tea.
I also have very powerful experiences with wild grown tea; extreme calm and then very good sleep and rest after drinking good wild tree maocha. Any suggestions for a source for C. formosensis? I should try C. waldenae (Hong Kong tea) to see what kind of effects I get!

We also have this very interesting species here in HK. Would love to try some as tea but it is a protected species!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia_granthamiana