Looking for Puer teas that do not use pesticides, fungicides, and HERBICIDES.

Puerh and other heicha
Teas We Like
Vendor

Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:31 am

aet wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:58 pm
Ye Sheng variety can be also cultivated. They have small arbor trees like that in Fengqing ( mainly black tea production ) or in Yongde for example. Unfortunately these days Ye Sheng ( wild variety ) is not the guarantee of "clean tea".
Please note : I do not refer to the particular tea you have linked.
Yes, teas that are claimed as "ye sheng" can today be not really ye sheng. As for many other things in the world of puer - cakes labeled "lao ban zhang" are usually not lao ban zhang, cakes labeled as "gushu" are often not really gu shu... it's a tricky world, one really need to know what one is looking for
aet
Vendor

Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:36 pm

Teas We Like wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:31 am
it's a tricky world, one really need to know what one is looking for
...very true!
TheEssenceofTea
Vendor

Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:22 am

We sell teas that have been grown without pesticides, fungicides or herbicides, both cultivated and wild teas.

I hope a link is ok here:
https://essenceoftea.com

I'm not sure where the idea comes from that wild tea has to be $$$. Traditionally it hasn't been that popular in the Chinese market and still can be purchased relatively inexpensively.
Last edited by TheEssenceofTea on Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Balthazar

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:06 am

@TheEssenceofTea: There's a problem with the first part of your URL ;)

Are all the wild teas on offer at EoT grown without pesticides, fungicides or herbicides? I don't know the first thing about farming, but always assumed that many wild teas were indeed wild in the sense that they were not planted by humans, but that pesticides, fertilizers etc. might still be used.

I recently ordered a sample of the "2008 Qianjiazhai Wild" and the "2018 Spring Da Xue Shan Wild Red Tea" which I am looking forward to try.
aet
Vendor

Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:09 am

the best way to find out such a vendor is to buy few samples from the vendors who claim organic without all that stuff u r concerned about , then bring it to the lab in your country for test. You can share result with community later. I think that would be very beneficial to us all.
The truth is that the tea doesn't have to be only wild to be clean.
Some tea farmers are not allowed to use any pests and herbs. , restriction from gov. , so their tea should be clean as well ( if they obey the rules...which is a big "?" , since I've seen some stuff in some tea farms despite restrictions ) .
We work with one farmer in Yiwu who has trees in the forest and grows with grass they have to cut, yet I'm not all year around there and even they have some organic cert for their place I wouldn't guarantee their tea is 100% clean since they can blend it with other locations. ( especially these last years when weather is dry and harvest is bad ).
We source tea also from different locations where farmers tend to not use any chemicals , yet again , I do not trust anybody in tea business ;-) Sounds like paranoia, but I've seen a lot ( the fake organic cert is the last to bother with ;-)

Ye Sheng can be in forest but also in the cultivated tea garden. One of them is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia_taliensis
Every spring you can get few tons of this one in sheng or black tea version. It is wildly available in tea markets and it is not $$$ price tag , yet it's not truly from the deep forest. Not many people can spot the difference ( incl. Chinese vendors being in biz many years .....I've tested it year ago in Kunming tea market ;-)

There are more wild varietals in Yunnan , I have a research folder from one professor in Yunnan University about wild tea trees in Yunnan, still didn't have time to read it all. But from what I encountered in my tea biz career so far , the authentic tea from the forest is more expensive than those "farmed" and when it reaches the shelves it goes from $$$ / kg ( like these days 700 CNY for good tea is no money in China ) ..at least in Kunming ( and that's the cheap place to live compare other big cities in China ) .

So you can take this as my humble experience intel. I'm sure more experienced vendors will oppose to what I just wrote , but hey. Nobody knows everything right?
TheEssenceofTea
Vendor

Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:42 am

Balthazar wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:06 am
Are all the wild teas on offer at EoT grown without pesticides, fungicides or herbicides?
Thanks for the heads up on the URL :)

With your question - we haven't lab tested these wild teas. I've never felt the need to to be honest. Our Secret Forest and Wuliang wild for sure are wild since we commission the pickers to pick them for us. These are huge trees and deep in the forest. I'm confident there's no agrochemicals involved.

The wild hongcha we sell, I can't be 100% sure, since we don't commission this ourselves. The person who makes this has said that there's "wild" teas which aren't in the forest from the same areas. These teas are also available, and are cheaper, but we didn't choose to buy them.

Our Yiwu tea, I'm confident has no agrochemicals. We've also lab tested Bamboo spring and Wuliang H. Bamboo Spring lab tested with a trace of Anthraquinone, which is known to sometimes test as a false positive from wood smoke. Wuliang H, Guafengzhai Chawangshu, YuanWei, YunYun, DuQuan we tested had no agrochemicals detected.
Balthazar

Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:45 am

Thanks for the reply! Agrochemicals are not a huge deal for me personally, was just curious about whether or not the "wild" labeling necessarily implies that they have not been used.
mrmopu

Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:56 pm

EoT has a vote of confidence from me. I think they go to lengths to make sure they have a god safe product on their site. A lot of our vendors do this today as they know consumers are looking for such things.
vuanguyen

Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:42 pm

Thanks @TheEssenceofTea for the recommendations. Looking forward to enjoying your teas...if they ever reach here :(
TheEssenceofTea
Vendor

Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:54 am

vuanguyen wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:42 pm
Thanks TheEssenceofTea for the recommendations. Looking forward to enjoying your teas...if they ever reach here :(
Thanks. Hopefully they won't take too long :)