Inherited mystery puerh

Puerh and other heicha
StoneLadle

Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:34 pm

debunix wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:00 pm

I'll work on a good photo of the leaves spread out when I next infuse this tea and share it.
Greetings. It's more than halfway through 2020. Your patience and will power are awesome in light of what has gone down thus far this year...
debunix

Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:14 pm

I'm down to just a little of this one, and I want it to last.

And there are so many other lovely teas to enjoy that it makes it easy to wait knowing this one will be patient while the delicate gaoshan and greens won't.
StoneLadle

Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:50 pm

debunix wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:14 pm
I'm down to just a little of this one, and I want it to last.

And there are so many other lovely teas to enjoy that it makes it easy to wait knowing this one will be patient while the delicate gaoshan and greens won't.
oh i totally get you,

totally
stargazer9999
New user

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:56 pm

Last post on messaging thread is late 2019. I'm not sure if the moderator will reactivate it but I just discovered this thread, wanted to add to it, and wanted to learn more. I grew up drinking this same Pu-Er, sunrise to sundown. My mom bought it exclusively in Chinatown, NYC, and kept me supplied even after I moved away. That means, at minimum, 1960s until 2010. Same label, same packaging. Not the most expensive, but still a favorite. I kept a "souvenir" label which reads "Consume Before Dec. 2007". Interestingly, I notice that no dates are stamped on the labels I see on the internet.

I found this forum because I am seeking to buy more. Two years ago, I depleted the stash from my mom, and her shop didn't have it. And I can not read Chinese. I ended up buying a different Pu-er, more expensive, decidedly "fancier" if based on price alone. It is not a bad tea, but it is more floral than the Hung Chong Tai Pu_er.

I know when I like or dislike a tea. However, I don't know the sheng and shu that many have discussed. Can somebody point me towards some primer for this? I see discussions about tea dampness, etc. I know tea leaves are steamed and dried (fermented). Is this what people are referring to?

Sorry, I love tea -- been drinking it everyday since I was a baby -- but I don't know all the lingo or history. I'm writing because this Hung Chong Tai tea is literally a part of my family history and I'd love to learn more. Thanks to the person who posted that there was a Hung Chong Tai Tea Merchant in Hong Kong! I assume this brand sells different grades, but I haven't seen any information anywhere to confirm this.
friso
Artisan

Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:50 pm

Wow, this thread is a nice surprise. I've had the chance to travel to Hong Kong a few times and Hung Chong Tai TC might just be my favorite teashop over there! Rents are really high in HK and a lot of the teashops seem to be tourist traps, but this one is located on Bonham Strand in a part of the city where some older tea companies remain, thus cutting down rent costs and maybe having more established clientele. I remember the Bonham Strands teashops where recommended by Marshaln for this reason, though I don't recall he mentioned this one specifically.

They sell mostly dry stored puerhs (by HK standard of course) but also some traditionally stored, amongst which a commissioned 7542 that I enjoyed recently. I think I own about a dozen cakes of theirs, and both prices and quality are decent. Also, the owner is quite nice, speaks really good english and does sell in bulk. Should you travel to HK on brighter days, I do recommend to pay him a visit.
debunix

Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:45 pm

I just was pondering having a session with this lovely tea today, and maybe I will this evening, inspired by this reawakened thread. I do have a trip to the SF Chinatown shop mentioned upthread on my list of things to do from pre-COVID but who knows if the business will still be there to visit post-COVID?