What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
Stephen

Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:17 pm

Some highlights from the past week:

2003-2005 Thai HongTaiChang shu pu er style tea. A favorite of mine from Chawangshop. Clean, complex, and well-priced.

2000 HK Traditional Storage CNNP shu pu er tuo cha. Smooth, thick, and long lasting. Hints of aged and ginseng fragrance. Just my cup of tea.

2010 Autumn Nan Nuo Shan sheng pu er. I keep reaching for this easy drinking and inexpensive brick from YS. Smooth and thick, mild huigan, floral with hint of camphor fragrance, relaxing cha qi. Tightly compressed and a bit "rough" looking.
Last edited by Stephen on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balthazar

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 pm

Stephen wrote:
2003-2005 Thai HongTaiChang shu pu er style tea. A favorite of mine from Chawangshop. Clean, complex, and well-priced.
Agreed, this is really great for the price.

The 2010 Autumn Nan Nuo Shan I haven't tried. Might need to do something about that...
Stephen

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:12 pm

Balthazar wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 pm
Agreed, this is really great for the price.

The 2010 Autumn Nan Nuo Shan I haven't tried. Might need to do something about that...
Yes, a good one. Glad to hear you're enjoying it as well.

The Nan Nuo is average, but hits all the right notes for me and I keep reaching for it. It's lacking in longevity perhaps, but for the price I have no complaints! Worth trying in my opinion.
Rui

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:53 am

2006 Shuang Yi Jing Mai mountain sheng from Yunnan Sourcing.

Having had a couple of rougher teas lately it is time to sip something smooth and sweet.
Rui

Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:07 am

2015 Hekai raw puerh from Chawangshop. One of the favourite young teas of my American tea friend and I who have exchanged opinions about this tea in the past. Unfortunately not much is left of it...
Rui

Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:11 am

1985 Maison des Trois Thes in Paris - 1985 Nan Nuo loose raw pu'er from bag #36. :D :D :D

I don't think I'll be able to afford replacing this tea when the bag is finished. ;)
Chadrinkincat

Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:28 am

Rui wrote:
1985 Maison des Trois Thes in Paris - 1985 Nan Nuo loose raw pu'er from bag #36. :D :D :D

I don't think I'll be able to afford replacing this tea when the bag is finished. ;)
What was the cost/g on that tea?

I visited that shop when I was in Paris last year but don’t remember seeing a price list other than for sit down service.
Rui

Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:01 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:28 am
Rui wrote:

What was the cost/g on that tea?

I visited that shop when I was in Paris last year but don’t remember seeing a price list other than for sit down service.
I cannot recall but it was not cheap. At the time my wife sipped a couple of teas while I sipped this one and then I bought around 50 - 100gms of it and I remember to have been pretty expensive (at least expensive for me ;-O).

I looked at the price list you mentioned and I chose this tea to sip there. As I liked it I asked them how much it would cost to take away but sincerely I cannot recall it.
DailyTX

Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:22 pm

All the discussions about 7452 from another thread made me want to dig up some 2000s Sheng Pu erh. Revisiting a 2001 Sheng Pu made by The HuaYuan Tea Factory. A 1000 gram tea block hard as brick :D
thommes

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:48 am

Stephen wrote:
2010 Autumn Nan Nuo Shan sheng pu er. I keep reaching for this easy drinking and inexpensive brick from YS. Smooth and thick, mild huigan, floral with hint of camphor fragrance, relaxing cha qi. Tightly compressed and a bit "rough" looking.
Sorry I need to ask. I looked this tea up and it says no inner ticket or identifying marks. So how do you know that it's really what it says? And sure for the price does it matter? But newbie just trying to learn.
DailyTX

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:25 pm

thommes wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:48 am
Stephen wrote:
Sorry I need to ask. I looked this tea up and it says no inner ticket or identifying marks. So how do you know that it's really what it says? And sure for the price does it matter? But newbie just trying to learn.
There are different variables to date Pu Erh. Even if it has stamped date and nei fei, we can not totally trust those information. One indicator is the color of the brew. A super aged Sheng Pu can have similar color as a Shu Pu. If the aging process is right, the tea will turn from light yellow->yellow->dark yellow->yellowish red->red->dark red->eventually dark enough to be almost black. The color is correlated with fermentation. That tea from YS based on the color, I’ll believe it’s around 2010. It’s always good to sample it first unless the price is so low that you don’t care as long as it is drinkable.
thommes

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:05 pm

DailyTX wrote:
There are different variables to date Pu Erh. Even if it has stamped date and nei fei, we can not totally trust those information. One indicator is the color of the brew. A super aged Sheng Pu can have similar color as a Shu Pu. If the aging process is right, the tea will turn from light yellow->yellow->dark yellow->yellowish red->red->dark red->eventually dark enough to be almost black. The color is correlated with fermentation. That tea from YS based on the color, I’ll believe it’s around 2010. It’s always good to sample it first unless the price is so low that you don’t care as long as it is drinkable.
What is considered as super aged Sheng? 9-10 years is sort of young from what I've been reading? Though I know there are a lot of drinkers that appreciate the taste of a young sheng. I haven't had any sheng yet. I should look at getting a sampler. I really like the shu that I've had so far. It's similar to the loose leaf pu that I've bought from a regular us tea provider for years.

I get it about sampling... and you nailed me on the head with the 'unless the price is so low that you don't care' comment. That's the way I am with scotches. I'll try anything usually (not a huge peat fan though) and as long as it's a reasonable price I'll buy a bottle as a sample. The difference with scotch, after you've drank a couple drams, even the bad scotch is good. :lol:

OMG... pu enhanced scotch. I'm going to do it! That's probably sacrilege here.
DailyTX

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:20 pm

thommes wrote:
DailyTX wrote:
What is considered as super aged Sheng? 9-10 years is sort of young from what I've been reading? Though I know there are a lot of drinkers that appreciate the taste of a young sheng. I haven't had any sheng yet. I should look at getting a sampler. I really like the shu that I've had so far. It's similar to the loose leaf pu that I've bought from a regular us tea provider for years.

I get it about sampling... and you nailed me on the head with the 'unless the price is so low that you don't care' comment. That's the way I am with scotches. I'll try anything usually (not a huge peat fan though) and as long as it's a reasonable price I'll buy a bottle as a sample. The difference with scotch, after you've drank a couple drams, even the bad scotch is good. :lol:

Super aged is very subjective. For me, I divided my Pu erh into young less than 5 yr, semi aged 10 yr, maturely aged 10-20 yr, and anything after that goes into my collection because Pu Erh tea is constantly evolving with fermentation. I also looked into expiration at one point, some say 60 years, some say no expiration, the info I like the most is depended on storage/fermentation. Due to being in constant changing, someone who has in-depth experience about the temperament of Pu Erh can manipulate the outcome such taming the wet storage smell, lowering the bitterness, mixing different Sheng or shu, etc. I don’t know too much about scotch, I just like the single malt with at least 10+ year on my scotch :lol:
mrmopu

Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:11 pm

thommes wrote:
Now that is an idea!
Last edited by Victoria on Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: cleaned up quote
Slurp

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:59 pm

thommes wrote:
Aye, that be sacrilege. Ya mess with scotch, ya mess with Scotland!