ZSL 2019 Ge Deng: Blackberries in the back woods :mrgreen:
thommes

Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:20 am

sipping me some 2015 Red Shroom from white2tea
thommes

Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:33 am

Noonie wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:59 pm
First sips of the Yunnan Sourcing 2007 Pin Xiang "Bu Lang Shan Tuo" Raw Pu-erh Tea purchased a few weeks ago.

At $25 for a 250g Tuo that has many favourable reviews I figured it was a safe bet.

First Tuo I've tried, and prying off 50-75g for tasting over the next while wasn't difficult. I used 5g in a 100ml Gaiwan. Sometimes I use more tea, however, it's close to 5pm and I didn't want it to affect my sleep. Plus when I'm trying a tea for the first time I like to keep my tea/water ratio conservative so I can decide from there the flavour profile and what I may prefer in future sessions. It has been a while since I've had aged Sheng, as my Pu'er drinking has mainly been Shou, with some young Sheng here and there. Initial steeps were are very good. It's sweet and spicy as Scott mentions in his write-up, with a bit of smokiness. It's not a weak tea at all, and in the future I'll stick with 5g. I read somewhere that Shou processing was developed to get to that aged Sheng taste faster; well I haven't had enough Pu'er to give a strong view, but this is nothing like Shou. And it's nothing like young Sheng. It has almost no astingency, does not taste 'young' at all (wouldn't think so as it's a 2007). I find it sits very nicely between a more earthy/malty/sweet Shou, and a young Sheng that is really its own breed. It's a little rough and likely lacks the complexity of more aged Sheng, but I like the profile as is...and overall it's really good value.

Lately I've not bothered with samples, as I live in Canada and placing multiple orders and having to deal with large $ to avoid shipping charges, and duty/customs fees. So I just e-mail Scott to ask what he recommends...and then I buy some cakes. It worked with this tea!
when i first got into drinking good puer I did some samples. two things I can say about samples and being new: confusing as all and it sucks when you like a sample and that's all that's available. I haven't bought samples since my first two orders that I placed for puer. I agree with you about asking the vendor. I'm not surprised when at least one high end item is in a list they suggest, but seriously... it's likely good. For me, a vendor earns my respect when I buy a $.10/g or less tea and they take the time to write a hand note and include how the steep the tea. I always buy a really cheap item every order I place. Increases the amount of tea that I have. lol. I don't expect to find hidden gold in the brick, and so far I"ve been lucky and haven't found foriegn items in my tea. I also love the lao cha tou. not sure why this stuff is typically cheap. but I digress. as long as the tea is not mega $$$ I jsut buy a brick/cake/bing. Now I"m getting tempted to buy more pricey shou without still really knowing what it is about a shou that I like. I haven't found a shou that I didn't like though. sure there are some that would make a daily use it up category aka nothing to write home about, but those are usually the one offs that I buy without a recommendation or a much cheaper shou.

hmm... interesting tea you mention. I'll have to see if that's available from .us or .com. I like shengs that you describe and that is a pretty incredible price.
debunix

Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:15 am

thommes wrote:
I also love the lao cha tou. not sure why this stuff is typically cheap.
I am so happy to still have one unopened brick of Norbu's 2009 Lao Cha Tou, and I when I realized it was the last one, I tried one from YS and liked it so bought a whole box of the little bricks. Plummy, rich, sweet, earthy: it is a very different experience than a fine young or fine aged sheng, but different does not mean inferior. It's a great daily drinker, a thermos tea, a 'I want a little gentle tea before bed but no head rush' tea, a tea to use to introduce the tea hesitant because it is so gently lovely. I'm glad it's cheap, becuase that makes it easy to stock up.

I think I will fire some up after I finish the last hot infusion of this morning's gyokuro. It's going to be a warm but not scorching day, and it's still overcast enough to make a warm comfy puerh seem just right.
debunix

Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:54 am

And.....back with my cozy comfort tea, so fine. Sweet, warm, a hint of flowers and fruit in the first two infusions. More plum in the third. Deep red-brown liquor that delivers on the richness of flavor promised by the appearance of the liquor.
thommes

Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:08 pm

debunix wrote:
thommes wrote:
I also love the lao cha tou. not sure why this stuff is typically cheap.
I am so happy to still have one unopened brick of Norbu's 2009 Lao Cha Tou, and I when I realized it was the last one, I tried one from YS and liked it so bought a whole box of the little bricks. Plummy, rich, sweet, earthy: it is a very different experience than a fine young or fine aged sheng, but different does not mean inferior. It's a great daily drinker, a thermos tea, a 'I want a little gentle tea before bed but no head rush' tea, a tea to use to introduce the tea hesitant because it is so gently lovely. I'm glad it's cheap, becuase that makes it easy to stock up.

I think I will fire some up after I finish the last hot infusion of this morning's gyokuro. It's going to be a warm but not scorching day, and it's still overcast enough to make a warm comfy puerh seem just right.
what was the tea you got from YS?
debunix

Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:44 pm

thommes wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:08 pm
debunix wrote:
I tried one from YS and liked it so bought a whole box of the little bricks.
what was the tea you got from YS?
2014 Menghai Lao Cha Tou, still available and still cheap, but not quite as cheap as when I bought a box of 10.

I've discussed it in a previous post here.....
Noonie

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:14 pm

thommes wrote:
Noonie wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:59 pm
First sips of the Yunnan Sourcing 2007 Pin Xiang "Bu Lang Shan Tuo" Raw Pu-erh Tea purchased a few weeks ago.

At $25 for a 250g Tuo that has many favourable reviews I figured it was a safe bet.

First Tuo I've tried, and prying off 50-75g for tasting over the next while wasn't difficult. I used 5g in a 100ml Gaiwan. Sometimes I use more tea, however, it's close to 5pm and I didn't want it to affect my sleep. Plus when I'm trying a tea for the first time I like to keep my tea/water ratio conservative so I can decide from there the flavour profile and what I may prefer in future sessions. It has been a while since I've had aged Sheng, as my Pu'er drinking has mainly been Shou, with some young Sheng here and there. Initial steeps were are very good. It's sweet and spicy as Scott mentions in his write-up, with a bit of smokiness. It's not a weak tea at all, and in the future I'll stick with 5g. I read somewhere that Shou processing was developed to get to that aged Sheng taste faster; well I haven't had enough Pu'er to give a strong view, but this is nothing like Shou. And it's nothing like young Sheng. It has almost no astingency, does not taste 'young' at all (wouldn't think so as it's a 2007). I find it sits very nicely between a more earthy/malty/sweet Shou, and a young Sheng that is really its own breed. It's a little rough and likely lacks the complexity of more aged Sheng, but I like the profile as is...and overall it's really good value.

Lately I've not bothered with samples, as I live in Canada and placing multiple orders and having to deal with large $ to avoid shipping charges, and duty/customs fees. So I just e-mail Scott to ask what he recommends...and then I buy some cakes. It worked with this tea!
when i first got into drinking good puer I did some samples. two things I can say about samples and being new: confusing as all and it sucks when you like a sample and that's all that's available. I haven't bought samples since my first two orders that I placed for puer. I agree with you about asking the vendor. I'm not surprised when at least one high end item is in a list they suggest, but seriously... it's likely good. For me, a vendor earns my respect when I buy a $.10/g or less tea and they take the time to write a hand note and include how the steep the tea. I always buy a really cheap item every order I place. Increases the amount of tea that I have. lol. I don't expect to find hidden gold in the brick, and so far I"ve been lucky and haven't found foriegn items in my tea. I also love the lao cha tou. not sure why this stuff is typically cheap. but I digress. as long as the tea is not mega $$$ I jsut buy a brick/cake/bing. Now I"m getting tempted to buy more pricey shou without still really knowing what it is about a shou that I like. I haven't found a shou that I didn't like though. sure there are some that would make a daily use it up category aka nothing to write home about, but those are usually the one offs that I buy without a recommendation or a much cheaper shou.

hmm... interesting tea you mention. I'll have to see if that's available from .us or .com. I like shengs that you describe and that is a pretty incredible price.
Hey @thommes it's like I'm hearing myself think! I also haven't found a shou I didn't like either. If you get into more pricey shou let me know how that works out for you. I'm already trusting your judgement in that you would be honest if it was good/great, but not worth the price (so many of us convince ourselves if it's $$$ it must be great).
thommes

Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:50 pm

i'm having some pretty girls white2tea
Balthazar

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:01 pm

@thommes, @Noonie For what it's worth I also think the 2007 Pin Xiang "Bu Lang Shan Tuo" is a really great deal. I've probably been through a good kilo of it, and still have an unopened tuo. A very reliable daily drinker for me, and a nice storage profile. It's the best puer deal on YS, IMO (caveat: I haven't tried them all).
thommes

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:46 pm

Balthazar wrote:
thommes, Noonie For what it's worth I also think the 2007 Pin Xiang "Bu Lang Shan Tuo" is a really great deal. I've probably been through a good kilo of it, and still have an unopened tuo. A very reliable daily drinker for me, and a nice storage profile. It's the best puer deal on YS, IMO (caveat: I haven't tried them all).
omg. you recommended a sheng to me? lol the other funny thing is i actually had a tab open with ys.us and i was going to look up your recommendation, but thats what was already loaded. :) i actually added it to my cart and found that i already had added it! not sure the next time i'll order from them as i just placed an order and i'm still waiting on my white2tea order thats been sitting in san fran customs for six weeks.
mrmopu

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:06 pm

thommes wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:46 pm
Balthazar wrote:
thommes, Noonie For what it's worth I also think the 2007 Pin Xiang "Bu Lang Shan Tuo" is a really great deal. I've probably been through a good kilo of it, and still have an unopened tuo. A very reliable daily drinker for me, and a nice storage profile. It's the best puer deal on YS, IMO (caveat: I haven't tried them all).
omg. you recommended a sheng to me? lol the other funny thing is i actually had a tab open with ys.us and i was going to look up your recommendation, but thats what was already loaded. :) i actually added it to my cart and found that i already had added it! not sure the next time i'll order from them as i just placed an order and i'm still waiting on my white2tea order thats been sitting in san fran customs for six weeks.
I will add my recommendation to it as well. Well stored and a fine daily drinker without breaking the bank.
thommes

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:09 am

mrmopu wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:06 pm
I will add my recommendation to it as well. Well stored and a fine daily drinker without breaking the bank.
I added another one to the cart. :D
sqt

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:17 am

Dayi 8582 602 - taiwan+singapore storage.
Costs a fraction of what the acclaimed and much hyped 8582 501/504 does, but still hits the spot very well.

Highly recommend the later batch 2006 cakes for the budget conscious 8582 fans.
Zac

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:27 am

sqt wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:17 am
Dayi 8582 602 - taiwan+singapore storage.
Costs a fraction of what the acclaimed and much hyped 8582 501/504 does, but still hits the spot very well.

Highly recommend the later batch 2006 cakes for the budget conscious 8582 fans.
Thanks for the tip. Which vendor are you using? Sold out at KTM :cry: