Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:26 pm
2007 6FTM Poison Series
The perfect tea for when one's enemies come to visit? :mrgreen:

Welcome back btw!
debunix

Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:02 am

Bok wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:04 am
The beauty of it is that it goes long enough that one over-steep doesn’t affect what follows, just adjust on the go.
Yes!
oolongfan

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:52 pm

More Puerh Junky Madness – sheng/raw

2007 LME/Menghai Banzhang Tea Factory Hide Out – One of my favorite teas because it has two different expressions depending on how heavy or light you leaf it.
More leaves brings out a wonderful gentle saddle leather, vanilla, white grapes, peach, hints of camphor later in session. There is a wonderful salinity that has a slightly metallic almost copper aspect to it, the latter not being obvious but rather lending a lift to the rather rich profile.
Less leaves results in emphasis on fruits with peach, white grapes, honey, vanilla, wood spices, hint of peach pit, salinity balances all of this lovely sweetness. I really love both expressions and often alternate leaf amounts depending on my mood and the weather. One of my favorite teas and I have both this cake and plus a second one with slightly different storage that PJ was kind enough to sell me. The second version has a heavier treacle aspect which lovely and the fruits are much riper, with the vanilla note much less prominent under all of those rich ripe fruits and treacle.

2003 Marquis du Green Mark – This is a 7542 that stands out in a sea of sameness that many 7542 productions can be (in my experience). The description on Pj’s site is spot on, so don’t be put off by the Kunming storage because this is not your typical desiccated version. Right out the gate there is a lovely hint of camphor combined with a lovely mint cooling sensation on the tongue, refined balanced florals honey, grains, gaining tobacco notes by third steep. The florals are never the shrill tomato leaf citric variety that I have occasionally come across in 7542s of this vintage. In fact this tea doesn’t immediately hit you over the head with it’s identity but rather slowly reveal’s its hand rather than just bombing you with florals. This tea is all about refinement, a gentleman caller and decidedly not your typical floral bomb 7542. One of my earliest buys and one I probably should get a few more of because this is so good.
mrmopu wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:04 pm
oolongfan wrote:
Some more tea from Puerh Junky, all sheng/raw available on his site:

2007 CNNP/Kunming Factory ‘Thick Zen’ – The description Puerh Junky’s site is spot on. Thick apricot syrup like taste, honey, hints of camphor, some wood spice. with no bitterness and very little astringency. You can leaf this super heavy and will not get any bitterness - only thicker apricot syrups notes. Has a nice thick glycerol texture. This is a steal for the price which is a good thing since this is dangerously quaffable. I bought two cakes of this a few months ago and have almost finished one.

2007 CNNP/Kunming Factory ‘Water Blue Mark’
– Deep plum notes, honey, golden raisins, and lovely soft smoke and sweet straw. The fruits and honey are all deep toned as opposed to bright and light. The smoke and straw provides a wonderful balance to the former, almost like mincemeat but different. Another one that I got two cakes because I keep reaching for this almost every tea session. A little astringency that provides a nice lift to deep rich fruits. Nice thick texture.

2007 6FTM Poison Series 5 Sons Pass the Exam – This has a wonderful mincemeat quality like the Blue Mark but with more complexity and depth. Mincemeat like with notes of fig, candied bacon, plums, parchment, autumn leaves, and gentle smoke. Some elegent astringnecy underneath. This is beautifully complex and structured, already feeling quite balanced but promises to evolve even more. I could see this gaining incense and additional notes as this feels like it is only starting to reveal itself. One for aging but also a delight to drink now. On my list to buy. This is listed just as 6FTM Poison Series on the website.
PJ has some nice gems in his shop. I try and not tell about him so I can stash a bit more for myself.....
I well understand your motivation. I stocked up a bit over the last few months before posting this ;) PJ mentioned that you had some really nice treasures in your collection too.
Balthazar wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:27 am
oolongfan wrote:
2007 6FTM Poison Series

Welcome back btw!
Thank you for the welcome back, I have really missed you guys. Drinking 'alone' has not been the same wihtout reading other's impressions. Speaking of which, my order of EOT's 2001 Mengsa Old Tree got lost in the mail, and by the time I realized it, the tea was sold out (EOT kindly refunded since a lot of orders placed at that time dissappeared). So I would love to hear any further impressions of this tea, if only to enjoy it viacrously ;)

Poison....ha ha..yes with a name like that one would think it best saved for one's ennemies. However, it is too special a tea to squander on bad company, so instead I would suggest breeing and drinking it infront of one's ennemies without offering them any ;)
mrmopu

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:33 pm

oolongfan wrote:
More Puerh Junky Madness – sheng/raw

2007 LME/Menghai Banzhang Tea Factory Hide Out – One of my favorite teas because it has two different expressions depending on how heavy or light you leaf it.
More leaves brings out a wonderful gentle saddle leather, vanilla, white grapes, peach, hints of camphor later in session. There is a wonderful salinity that has a slightly metallic almost copper aspect to it, the latter not being obvious but rather lending a lift to the rather rich profile.
Less leaves results in emphasis on fruits with peach, white grapes, honey, vanilla, wood spices, hint of peach pit, salinity balances all of this lovely sweetness. I really love both expressions and often alternate leaf amounts depending on my mood and the weather. One of my favorite teas and I have both this cake and plus a second one with slightly different storage that PJ was kind enough to sell me. The second version has a heavier treacle aspect which lovely and the fruits are much riper, with the vanilla note much less prominent under all of those rich ripe fruits and treacle.

2003 Marquis du Green Mark – This is a 7542 that stands out in a sea of sameness that many 7542 productions can be (in my experience). The description on Pj’s site is spot on, so don’t be put off by the Kunming storage because this is not your typical desiccated version. Right out the gate there is a lovely hint of camphor combined with a lovely mint cooling sensation on the tongue, refined balanced florals honey, grains, gaining tobacco notes by third steep. The florals are never the shrill tomato leaf citric variety that I have occasionally come across in 7542s of this vintage. In fact this tea doesn’t immediately hit you over the head with it’s identity but rather slowly reveal’s its hand rather than just bombing you with florals. This tea is all about refinement, a gentleman caller and decidedly not your typical floral bomb 7542. One of my earliest buys and one I probably should get a few more of because this is so good.
mrmopu wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:04 pm
oolongfan wrote:
Some more tea from Puerh Junky, all sheng/raw available on his site:

2007 CNNP/Kunming Factory ‘Thick Zen’ – The description Puerh Junky’s site is spot on. Thick apricot syrup like taste, honey, hints of camphor, some wood spice. with no bitterness and very little astringency. You can leaf this super heavy and will not get any bitterness - only thicker apricot syrups notes. Has a nice thick glycerol texture. This is a steal for the price which is a good thing since this is dangerously quaffable. I bought two cakes of this a few months ago and have almost finished one.

2007 CNNP/Kunming Factory ‘Water Blue Mark’
– Deep plum notes, honey, golden raisins, and lovely soft smoke and sweet straw. The fruits and honey are all deep toned as opposed to bright and light. The smoke and straw provides a wonderful balance to the former, almost like mincemeat but different. Another one that I got two cakes because I keep reaching for this almost every tea session. A little astringency that provides a nice lift to deep rich fruits. Nice thick texture.

2007 6FTM Poison Series 5 Sons Pass the Exam – This has a wonderful mincemeat quality like the Blue Mark but with more complexity and depth. Mincemeat like with notes of fig, candied bacon, plums, parchment, autumn leaves, and gentle smoke. Some elegent astringnecy underneath. This is beautifully complex and structured, already feeling quite balanced but promises to evolve even more. I could see this gaining incense and additional notes as this feels like it is only starting to reveal itself. One for aging but also a delight to drink now. On my list to buy. This is listed just as 6FTM Poison Series on the website.
PJ has some nice gems in his shop. I try and not tell about him so I can stash a bit more for myself.....
I well understand your motivation. I stocked up a bit over the last few months before posting this ;) PJ mentioned that you had some really nice treasures in your collection too.
Balthazar wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:27 am
oolongfan wrote:
2007 6FTM Poison Series

Welcome back btw!
Thank you for the welcome back, I have really missed you guys. Drinking 'alone' has not been the same wihtout reading other's impressions. Speaking of which, my order of EOT's 2001 Mengsa Old Tree got lost in the mail, and by the time I realized it, the tea was sold out (EOT kindly refunded since a lot of orders placed at that time dissappeared). So I would love to hear any further impressions of this tea, if only to enjoy it viacrously ;)

Poison....ha ha..yes with a name like that one would think it best saved for one's ennemies. However, it is too special a tea to squander on bad company, so instead I would suggest breeing and drinking it infront of one's ennemies without offering them any ;)
Yah, I may have a few things in storage and available...
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:51 pm

So nice to hear a few of you are enjoying Puerh Junkie’s ( @EarthMonkey’s ) puerh. I am lucky that he lives in LA, and often shares top quality teas during our tastings here. He has a huge collection, it’s enviable 🍃
Tea Adventures

Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:58 am

I’m really enjoying ANMO’s 2001 Fuk Hoi sheng this morning. Pretty dark with strong hints of camphor.
Attachments
A310D545-FB80-449C-9E16-C8AF91408131.jpeg
A310D545-FB80-449C-9E16-C8AF91408131.jpeg (190.25 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
Andrew S

Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:50 am

Coincidentally, I've been playing with Sunsing's version of the same today (having enjoyed the same tea from another vendor a few years ago as well).

I'm constantly disappointed when other pu er of around the same vintage doesn't taste anywhere near as nice. I think that this is a good example of good quality Hong Kong storage.

Andrew
Bok
Vendor

Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:34 am

Andrew S wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:50 am
Coincidentally, I've been playing with Sunsing's version of the same today (having enjoyed the same tea from another vendor a few years ago as well).

I'm constantly disappointed when other pu er of around the same vintage doesn't taste anywhere near as nice. I think that this is a good example of good quality Hong Kong storage.

Andrew
Anmo sources their teas from Sunsing, so they are the same :)

I’ve had a few from Sunsing and they have all been at least decent and many pretty good. Proves a point that there is more to HK Puerh than overly wet harbour tea as some would like to suggest as the authentic HK style tea…. At least I got slowly led to appreciate Puerh as a tea by their curation.
Andrew S

Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:58 am

@Bok: you never struck me as the Hong Kong storage loving kind of guy, but perhaps you just need to try a few more before you're hooked...

I've had nothing but good experiences with Sunsing. The only catch is the price, and, similarly, the fact that almost all of their cakes aren't offered as samples (hence why Amno had a good idea with offering some of theirs in smaller quantities). I think that Sunsing cater to the kind of person who buys an 80s 8582 cake as a gift, and that's perfectly understandable and fair enough.

They've always struck me as a high-quality operation (and it is fun to live vicariously through their articles about the proverbial good old days of pu er that I'll never be able to re-live). That said, I always regret not buying up all of their stocks a decade ago... But hindsight is lovely and painful.

The best 1990s pu er that I've had so far has had some wet storage early on, followed by proper Hong Kong or Taiwan storage, and I'm always hesitant to try anything from that era unless I know that it's been stored humidly enough to lose that stomach-destroying side of young pu er that I can't stand.

I wonder where all the humidly-stored pu er lovers are around here...

Andrew
Bok
Vendor

Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:46 am

@Andrew S I’m not sure how typical Sunsing is for HK. They do have a very strong storage condition control, not like the cliché of a wet stored basement HK Puerh. All taste very clean and don’t have much nastiness about them.

Anmo said to me once how some of her customers didn’t believe it’s “real Puerh” as the pleasant taste did not match their previous experience and expectations. Like “if it ain’t nasty and bitter it’s not Pu”

Funny.
Balthazar

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:17 am

"Traditional storage" entails storage condition control too (rotation is crucial, as is distance from walls, roof, floor and moving the cakes to drier facilities after a certain time, etc), so I wouldn't say that this is the factor that differentiates Sunsing's (relatively speaking) drier storage. They probably just keep the AC cranced up higher, might even involve less actual work on their part.

And because of all the work involved in traditional storage, they seem harder and harder to come by these days. But the "unattended wet storage for years" thing is another matter... (Nasty, yes. But bitter..?)

Speaking of which, I'm having the wetish 98 Kunming Factory cake today. In hongni to boot. Different strokes for different folks :)
Balthazar

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:21 am

oolongfan wrote:
I finished up my cake (only bought one) earlier this year. Still think it was very nice for the price (compared to what else you can get for $80-90 from Western vendors), particularly in the always extremely subjective "energy" department. Good body and durability too, although slightly dry in taste for me (it was Kunming stored, but I'd never had guessed that!).
Bok
Vendor

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:26 am

Balthazar wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:17 am
(Nasty, yes. But bitter..?)
maybe I misremember the bitter part.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:45 am

Guess what…
Attachments