What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
aet
Vendor

Tue May 03, 2022 10:11 pm

Though I'd share my typical working day in spring harvest.
Pasha Da Shu ( in gaiwn ) , Ailao Shan ( some forest tea ) , Ban Pen Lao Zhai , Mang Ban Lao Zhai , Bulang Shan.
6 more to go.
Attachments
2022 sheng testing
2022 sheng testing
WechatIMG8927.jpeg (136.78 KiB) Viewed 6244 times
Bok
Vendor

Wed May 04, 2022 1:56 am

aet wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:11 pm
Though I'd share my typical working day in spring harvest.
Pasha Da Shu ( in gaiwn ) , Ailao Shan ( some forest tea ) , Ban Pen Lao Zhai , Mang Ban Lao Zhai , Bulang Shan.
6 more to go.
I wish you a strong, stomach, you'll need it!
People see, what the poor vendors do endure with their bodies to find good teas for you guys...
debunix

Wed May 04, 2022 10:14 am

Maerskian wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:15 pm
my regular leaf ratio ( 18-20gr )
That's a remarkable regular leaf ratio. What size is your regular pot?

Yesterday I had a very nice session with Norbu's 2007 Yong De White bud sheng, in a shiboridashi about 120mL, 2-3 grams of leaf. This cake was my very first sheng whoever that I tasted and then purchased, after a tasting through another forum. My first time preparing some of it, I was distracted and my 1 g in 60 mL that was accidentally infused 80 seconds for first infusion was rather startling! Not yet knowing that such mistakes can often be salvaged by some serious dilution, I just discarded it and started over. And when I proceeded with a series of flash infusions, I enjoyed its still funky smokiness, it's notes of sharp but tasty herbs, and the delicate Floral sweetness underneath. In my own random Los Angeles storage (e.g., no real attempt whatsoever at humidity control), it went through an unpleasant adolescence (a just plain 'blah' phase) and it has arrived at a quite pleasant but not brilliant maturity.

I'm imagining your regular leaf ratio resulting in some thing like the potency of that first shocking session with my white bud sheng.....!
Maerskian

Wed May 04, 2022 5:40 pm

debunix wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:14 am
Maerskian wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:15 pm
my regular leaf ratio ( 18-20gr )
That's a remarkable regular leaf ratio. What size is your regular pot?
My regular pots ( as i even dare to drink 2-3 different teas that can last 2-3 days ) are 200ml - 300ml ( the one i use the most, had a session with it today ) - 400ml . Also have a couple of 550ml ones plus three "tiny" 100ml pots for the expensive/frightening kind. All of them ceramic with the exception of two "tiny" ones ( purion ) + one of the large ones ( purion as well ).
Yesterday I had a very nice session with Norbu's 2007 Yong De White bud sheng, in a shiboridashi about 120mL, 2-3 grams of leaf. This cake was my very first sheng whoever that I tasted and then purchased, after a tasting through another forum. My first time preparing some of it, I was distracted and my 1 g in 60 mL that was accidentally infused 80 seconds for first infusion was rather startling! Not yet knowing that such mistakes can often be salvaged by some serious dilution, I just discarded it and started over. And when I proceeded with a series of flash infusions, I enjoyed its still funky smokiness, it's notes of sharp but tasty herbs, and the delicate Floral sweetness underneath. In my own random Los Angeles storage (e.g., no real attempt whatsoever at humidity control), it went through an unpleasant adolescence (a just plain 'blah' phase) and it has arrived at a quite pleasant but not brilliant maturity.

I'm imagining your regular leaf ratio resulting in some thing like the potency of that first shocking session with my white bud sheng.....!
Sounds like it. I kept increasing my leaf ration until i felt comfortable with it; with some particularly strong teas felt overpowering at first, now i'm used to it.
3480choo
New user

Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:49 am

I have kept some fair quantities of Nan Zhao beeing char produced by Xiaguan factory in Yunnan in the year 2005.
This tea has aged considerably in tropical Malaysia. For quite a while now, this tea is a must for my morning sessions. A real treat to saviour the fragrant and bitter/sweet brown brew only aged puer can give.
Last edited by Victoria on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: moved post to Fermented Teas
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:15 am

After a long while revisiting some mid-aged Sheng brick. Still the same lovely tea I remembered.
Attachments
4CC253BC-B96E-4CEF-A03B-AC273C71157F.jpeg
4CC253BC-B96E-4CEF-A03B-AC273C71157F.jpeg (161.91 KiB) Viewed 5385 times
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:38 am

@Bok interesting placement of spout along lower base of teapot. How is the pour? I’d think when filling the pot the spout gets filled fast. First pour hot water coming from full spout away from steeping leaves. Never seem such an arrangement. Interesting.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:58 am

Victoria wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:38 am
Bok interesting placement of spout along lower base of teapot. How is the pour? I’d think when filling the pot the spout gets filled fast. First pour hot water coming from full spout away from steeping leaves. Never seem such an arrangement. Interesting.
Yeah, this pot is an odd one… it’s an unusual design from the late Qing period. This one on top is a Neiziwaihong, so it’s Zini inside.

The low placement can be seen on the so called Junde shape on other pots - and as you rightly notice, has its challenges with some teas. Pour is good and smooth on this ones. What I usually do is too quickly discard the spout filled part and only then pour into pitcher/cup. That does the trick.

Here’s a more detailed shot of the same pot.
Attachments
4BC323C8-E633-4C3B-9109-0B2CB05AC58A.jpeg
4BC323C8-E633-4C3B-9109-0B2CB05AC58A.jpeg (86.05 KiB) Viewed 5380 times
Cookie

Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:57 am

2010 7542 batch 2 this morning in a Hongni pot. Trying to understand how clay affects tea. I think I may pursue a hongni pot I like how it still leaves a lot of the high notes. I tried 7542 in my nixing and didn't enjoy how much it chopped off the high and low notes. Still need to explore zini some, but I was able to borrow this pot for free so we will see if I can borrow a zini off the same person :D
OCTO

Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:49 am

Having some of my quirky blends of late 90s sheng (iron being) + late 90s V93 shou (tuocha) + a pinch of 60s aged oolong = heavenly on the pallets and silky smooth down the throat... happy weekend everyone!! :D :D
polezaivsani

Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:40 pm

I want to share with you the remedy for dealing with heat waves, a 2018 sheng from Ban Po that I got from Mark a.k.a. Puerist. I came to have a bunch of peculiar anecdotes related to teas from this place, but first the practical side. It looks simple to the taste though a rich composition affords endless staring wherever you point your attention to. It'd be an invigorating session even when drunk nonchalantly, powerful but rarely will jumble your plans. Drinking it in a heat of the afternoon is a delight.

It's ostensible simplicity almost left me unmoved when I tried it the first time, when I was probably to tea drunk from trying a bunch of teas in a row. But then I found an rich melon flavor closer to the end of the session and was pretty blown away by it. A true lush slice of a melon, in two of three cups. I've been close to feeling it again a few times through the years, but I don't really mind it being almost a hallucination. Looking for it in the cup is rewarding even if I the attempts turn out, eh, fruitless as the composition lends plenty detail to marvel at.

Another pleasant bit is that the chap I got these from doesn't run any usual array of marketing devices, has no instagram, no shopify, no flashy wrappers or elaborate flavor passages and won't mind an old mail order.
debunix

Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:37 pm

2010 Ban Pen Sheng from Essence of Tea. Although the office is more strongly airconditioned, I prepped this today by infusing a modest amount of leaf in water just off the boil, let it sit for a minute or two, then poured it into a large chawan with a lot of cool water. It still has a pleasing humus, hint of sweetness and an herbal note--a touch of bitterness,just enough now to keep it from being boring--and it is quite fine in this 'dilute and cool' version. Not seeking to carbonate and chill this one, but it's quite fine as it is. Nice when a tea is so versatile.
DailyTX

Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:43 pm

Drinking the CNNP 8891 today. Tastes sweet, some hui gan afterward, and it's easy to brew as usual. Cheers!
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_3500.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3500.jpg (200.43 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
thumbnail_IMG_3502.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3502.jpg (220.36 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
Andrew S

Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:39 pm

A small sample of 2005 Yiwu 'ancient tree' melon from EoT that was included with my last order.

To my surprise, this is not poisonous to me at all. I suppose that Yiwu is meant to be somewhat gentle, but it probably helps that the compression was not too severe, and that the melons were aged in Jinghong which apparently is meant to be a hot and humid climate (though I don't know anything about Jinghong storage). On top of that, the pot that I used is really excellent at taming the roughness of young raw puer (as well as smoothing out any flaws in wet old puer).

Nice refreshing mouthfeel and a long cool aftertaste; there are some youthful flavours and aspects remaining. but the astringency has calmed down into a gentle and pleasant sensation rather than, say, sandpaper. It also doesn't feel too green, with a fairly neutral character to the feeling for me. Overall, I'd call it adolescent; not young anymore, but far from being old,

Now, I wonder how long this would take to taste closer to traditionally-stored 1990s teas if it had been left in storage. I also wonder how expensive some of today's young teas will be by the time that they're mature (perhaps most of them will be consumed long before they reach maturity, but then the ones that survive will surely rival today's prices for aged tea).

Andrew
Attachments
_MG_0380.jpg
_MG_0380.jpg (195.62 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
LeoFox

Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:39 am

2007 sunsing Manzhi