What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
klepto

Mon May 25, 2020 10:39 am

Noonie wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:22 am
klepto wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:00 am
Curious thing, after shoving the lid of the gaiwan under my nose many times. I've noticed that much later after my session I still smell puerh :o
Its been an hour since and I still smell it. Has this happened to you?!
Yes! With ripe in particular. Hours later, outside my house, after a shower, brushing my teeth lol, there is that slight fragrance.
Whew, thought I was cracking up.. I went to bed and could still catch whiffs of it coming through like a cologne that sticks to you :P
klepto

Tue May 26, 2020 5:47 pm

debunix wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:44 am
Watch out, Puerh may steal your (tea)heart...,
@debunix You were so right. I have been sampling a lot and loving it. The sweetness and bitterness waves along
with the unique flavor profiles are awesome. I feel like Louis and Clark on an expedition. I just have to make sure the
raw puerh is aged by a couple years :D.
pantry

Tue May 26, 2020 6:02 pm

klepto wrote:
debunix wrote:
debunix You were so right. I have been sampling a lot and loving it. The sweetness and bitterness waves along
with the unique flavor profiles are awesome. I feel like Louis and Clark on an expedition. I just have to make sure the
Next you should try some of the high quality gushu raw puerh. Very drinkable just 4-5 months after pressing :lol:
klepto

Tue May 26, 2020 6:05 pm

pantry wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:02 pm
klepto wrote:
debunix wrote:
debunix You were so right. I have been sampling a lot and loving it. The sweetness and bitterness waves along
Next you should try some of the high quality gushu raw puerh. Very drinkable just 4-5 months after pressing :lol:
Oof :P
pantry

Fri May 29, 2020 2:04 pm

Enjoying Yishanmo from Spring 2019. The tea has mellowed down quite a bit, especially its intense energy. I was feeling groggy this morning, and the tea gave me just the right energy to re-focus.
Noonie

Sun May 31, 2020 6:20 am

My pumidor setup is working nicely. Steady 65% in there, and I opened it yesterday and had a sniff, yummy. Once I’m through what I have in my tea tins I’ll be dipping in for a 2012 Yiwu Raw and a 2010 Ripe.
Balthazar

Sun May 31, 2020 8:27 am

Anyone tried the "2001 Mengsa Old Tree" from EoT yet?

It arrived here a bit more than three weeks ago. Since then, I've had four sessions of it (counting the one I'm currently through the fourth steep of). I was hesitant to make a judgment for the first two weeks (during which I had a total of two sessions with it) as I find most cakes need at least 14 days here before they are properly settled in. It was immediately clear that this cake showed great promise, though.

Now that it's properly acclimatized I feel less hesitant in evaluating it. It's ... good. Nice and intact leaves which can easily endure 10+ infusions. It has plenty of Menghai sweetness (had I not known better, I could have been fooled to believe it was Yiwu material). In the always very subjective "energy" compartment, this tea consistently produces a radiating (but not overwhelming), comfortable heat sensation. These are its biggest strengths in my book. What I don't love is a slightly sour background note I'm picking up especially in the first few steeps. It also feels a bit dry in the mouth (although not overly so).

I don't know where the tea has been stored, but as for the overall profile it tastes pretty close to what I associate with Taiwan storage. Had I now known the age, I probably wouldn't have guessed that it was pressed in 2001.

There's no doubt that this tea punches above it's price weight, but because I favor a slightly wetter storage profile I was not sure about whether or not to buy a couple more cakes. Thankfully I don't have to spend any more time pondering this, as I see it's now sold out (when I last checked a week or so ago, both single cakes and tongs could be ordered). :)
klepto

Sun May 31, 2020 4:39 pm

What is your favorite vendor for high quaity raw puerh? EoT might be out of my pay grade sadly :(. I've been sampling like crazy but it take a while until I find my precious.
pantry

Sun May 31, 2020 7:46 pm

klepto wrote:
What is your favorite vendor for high quaity raw puerh? EoT might be out of my pay grade sadly :(. I've been sampling like crazy but it take a while until I find my precious.
Unfortunately, all of them will be in the same price range :-/
Drink better, but drink less is my motto.
Also, try looking into high quality Huangpian (yellow flakes)—better bangs for your bucks.
pantry

Sun May 31, 2020 7:54 pm

klepto wrote:
Actually, EoT has some new cakes that are quite affordable! About $40-70 for a 200g cake. Perhaps someone more familiar with their teas can share some recommendations?

My drinking partner will be getting the Kunlu ($45/200g).
vuanguyen

Sun May 31, 2020 10:52 pm

klepto wrote:
Drink better, but drink less is my motto.
Best advice ever! At my age (late 40's), I should be drinking less but more quality teas!
Last edited by vuanguyen on Sun May 31, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vuanguyen

Sun May 31, 2020 11:11 pm

The last 3 days I have been drinking some teas samples sent to me by Wistaria tea house in Taipei.

1) Tai He (2005 loose leaf Yiwu)
Smoky and sweet for the first 4-5 steeps. The later steeps were bland and weak. I expect much better for their top of the line tea. According to their website, this is the owner Mr. Chow Yu's best work. It's still a very good tea.

2) Qing Teng (2003 cake Mengsong)
Not smoky at all. Sweet and subtle relaxing Qi. This is one of my favorites.

3) Zi Yun (2004 loose leaf Nannuo)
This is the other loose leaf teas sold by Wistaria. I like this one better than the Tai He. I can steep for 8-10 infusions. A little smoke in the beginning but disappeared quickly. Does not have a sweet profile like Tai He or Qing Teng but has good aftertaste.

Wistaria tea house has very good semi aged Puer teas. I really like them. I am definitely going to by a couple of cakes from them.

IMG_2442.jpg
IMG_2442.jpg (193.27 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
Tai He 2005 loose leaf Yiwu
Tai He 2005 loose leaf Yiwu
IMG_2443.jpg (208.41 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
Zi Yun 2004 loose leaf Nanuo
Zi Yun 2004 loose leaf Nanuo
IMG_2445.jpg (167.2 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
IMG_2446.jpg
IMG_2446.jpg (195.35 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
Qing Teng 2003 cake Mengsong
Qing Teng 2003 cake Mengsong
IMG_2447.jpg (231.46 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
pantry

Sun May 31, 2020 11:43 pm

These are my favorite from Wistaria as well! Also, Zi Pin 2003 is in my top two!

I also had Tai He 2005 last night. For me it’s a very subtle tea. I like to have it in a very quiet environment. It’s the kind of tea that i taste with my body rather than my palate.
vuanguyen wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:11 pm
The last 3 days I have been drinking some teas samples sent to me by Wistaria tea house in Taipei.

1) Tai He (2005 loose leaf Yiwu)
Smoky and sweet for the first 4-5 steeps. The later steeps were bland and weak. I expect much better for their top of the line tea. According to their website, this is the owner Mr. Chow Yu's best work. It's still a very good tea.

2) Qing Teng (2003 cake Mengsong)
Not smoky at all. Sweet and subtle relaxing Qi. This is one of my favorites.

3) Zi Yun (2004 loose leaf Nannuo)
This is the other loose leaf teas sold by Wistaria. I like this one better than the Tai He. I can steep for 8-10 infusions. A little smoke in the beginning but disappeared quickly. Does not have a sweet profile like Tai He or Qing Teng but has good aftertaste.

Wistaria tea house has very good semi aged Puer teas. I really like them. I am definitely going to by a couple of cakes from them.

mrmopu

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:37 am

vuanguyen,

Beautiful pics!
Balthazar

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:44 am

2003 "Zhang Xiang Qing Bing" - Free sample that came with my last EoT order. And wow, this really hits almost all the right spots for me. Not a whole lot of easily available options with Hong Kong storage and almost 20 years of age at $98 per cake / $0.3 per gram. I immediately ordered two cakes.

klepto wrote:
Probably easier to give advice if you mention what price range (per gram/cake) you are looking for. Also, the age of the tea you prefer to drink. And, of course, your definition of "high quality" :P

EoT is quite reasonable compared to other vendors with a similar profile, imo. For semi-aged teas I think Yunnan Sourcing's section of Guangdong stored teas has lots of great and affordable options.

I agree with the others though, buying less and better is really the way to go. Most of the raw puer I buy these days is above what I could afford as "daily drinkers", so in ordinary times (that is, when one is not forced to stay home due to a lockdown) I drink mostly black teas throughout the workweek and save the good stuff (raw puer and oolongs) for the weekends.