What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
mrmopu

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:49 pm

Noonie wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:59 pm
Hi Pu drinkers! First time I’m posting in this sub-forum, as I’m new to Puerh.

As opposed to starting a new topic I thought I would add to here a (hopefully) quick question - can you recommend a website with all the information about Puerh that one would ever need, if one (or several) exist.

I confess to not having tried searching for this on google, because I thought someone may be able to provide an easy answer.

Thanks!

P.S. I’ll post here about the three Sheng I picked up from Puerh Brooklyn once I try them.
Here you go. This is one of many.
http://www.puercn.com/puerchazs/
Rickpatbrown

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:51 am

2003 CNNP Yi Wu Xheng Shan Raw from YS.

One of the better samples I've received from Yunnan Sourcing. I think I'm going to get a full cake or two of this, especially at the $120 price point.

Pretty smooth, with just enough astringency and bitterness to give it a good kick. Not much smokiness, but the tobacco, fruit and hui gan are very well balanced.

I broke my gaiwan last week and brough in a cheap glass pot for the office. It doesnt retain heat very well. I'll have to get another work-wan.
Attachments
20190627_104027.jpg
20190627_104027.jpg (152.11 KiB) Viewed 6971 times
20190627_104038.jpg
20190627_104038.jpg (155.21 KiB) Viewed 6971 times
tingjunkie

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:25 am

I noticed that EoT added their 2016 Wuliang H back in stock. I had bought a cake back when it first came out, but hadn't drank it in a while, so I had a session today to refresh my memory and decide if it's worth getting more. It's definitely a very clean tea with some solid old tree energy. The aroma left in the fair cup was especially rich, complex, and fruity, even after 8+ infusions. In the end though, the 60% price increase in only 3 years is going to cause me to pass on a resupply. I think the current price has outpaced the value for me.

Can anyone recommend other Wuliang cakes worth trying? I've seen YS and Farmer Leaf both carry some.
aet
Vendor

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:21 am

tingjunkie wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:25 am
I noticed that EoT added their 2016 Wuliang H back in stock. I had bought a cake back when it first came out, but hadn't drank it in a while, so I had a session today to refresh my memory and decide if it's worth getting more. It's definitely a very clean tea with some solid old tree energy. The aroma left in the fair cup was especially rich, complex, and fruity, even after 8+ infusions. In the end though, the 60% price increase in only 3 years is going to cause me to pass on a resupply. I think the current price has outpaced the value for me.

Can anyone recommend other Wuliang cakes worth trying? I've seen YS and Farmer Leaf both carry some.
Try google " Wu Liang Shan" sheng puerh , see if some vendors come up.
oolongfan

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:48 pm

Speaking of Essence of Tea....

2017 EOT Spring Nancai - I had read reviews of this tea so grabbed a sample when it was recently put back in circulation. Started out savory butternut squash pumpkin seed soft char note bamboo yeast pepper plus a hint of someother spice maybe tarragon. Second steep has the same profile but now a lovely mint note on the end, which adds a fresh lively quality. Some pleasiing bitterness when pushed. This tea shone when brewed in a hong ni teapot really, the clay and high firing seemed to articulate the pepper tarragon mint notes which seemed to get a little muddled in a zini teapot. This is one of my new favorites from EOT.

2018 EOT Autum Guafengzhai - I had tried and loved the Spring version of this tea but I was expecting this to be a shadow of the Spring version but I was wrong. This had the same profile of lovely Roasted Sweet Butternut squash soft fried smoke char note pumpkin seed bamboo and sweetness on the end. A gardenia bitterness sneaks in during the later steeps, less noticable in a zini teapot but much more emphasized in a high fired hong ni pot. The feel andintensity of this tea was more restrained when compared to the Spring version...but not as understated as I had expected. The Qi seemed to be calm inducing whereas the Spring version seemed to be more energetic and intense..although I am heistant to trust my neophyte attempts to observe Qi ;) This tea comes in a small 200g cake...a wonderful treat for those of us who missed out on stocking up on the Spring version. Another new favorite of mine.

I loved both teas...they were kindred spirits of sorts having similar flavors. I enjoy the Nancai ever so slightly more only because of the pepper mint tarragon spices....but they are both lovely teas that put me in the mind of a crisp Fall day for some reason.

@tingjunkie - Thanks for the review of your Spring Wuliang H cake. I was curious about it - especially in comparison to the 2018 Wuliang Wild.
tingjunkie

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:18 am

Decided to give the YS 2018 Wu Liang a try. I always enjoy vertical tastings by mountain! :D
leafmajor

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:27 pm

Gave bitterleaf's Monsieur Lafleur a taste this afternoon. Very charming, much flowers. This cake has no chance of growing old as I will drink it all before very long. I will buy more.
tea-side
New user

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:56 am

1988 Hong Tai Chang raw pu'erh (Thai storage)

Dresden

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:28 am

2014 Menghai V93 for me this morning. First time diving in to this one.

Fairly mild, a bit of wood/mushroom on the palate. Slight astringency being that this is a lighter fermentation ripe.

One thing that really stood out was how easily this tuo came apart. It is obvious that the compression levels between Menghai and Xiaguan are very, very different.
leafmajor

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Checked on and tasted my aging cakes. The bulang made me sweaty/loopy. Had tea after with someone who took themselves very seriously. Got a headache. Drank more tea to alleviate it. Finished off what was left in the gaiwan once I got back home. Guess I should probably eat something now.
Chadrinkincat

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:31 pm

XG 05 T8653-1
I’ve been drinking this one pretty much every day for the last couple weeks. It’s a decent tea but in its current state I’d say it’s a tier below the FT version. Less TCM incense and a bit more bitterness. I’m guessing this one will be at a sweet spot in another 5-10yrs so it’s a serious contender for a tong purchase while it’s still relatively inexpensive.
Noonie

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:54 pm

I’m brand new to Pu’erh!

I’ve worked my way through three samples of Sheng from Pu’erh Brooklyn. The first two were 2-3 years old, and I really liked them. The one tea (had Monkey in the name) was the same one I had at their tea house and when I took some home it was just as good. The second one was similar, but lighter and not as good for my preferences.

The third, which was aged since 2000 (mentioned Blue or Blue Mark) was probably as expected for a tea aged this long (woody, earth though very smooth), but not my thing. I’ll work my way through it and don’t hate it, but I guess at this point I prefer younger Sheng.
DailyTX

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 pm

I had a little extra time tonight to brew a pot of Bing Dao Sheng Pu Erh. It's an affordable daily drinking Sheng Pu Erh, semi-aged, has no date on the cake but the teashop owner said it's 4-5 years old. The tea has a dried fruit smell, the brew color is about the same color as the CNNP 8891 from Yunnan Sourcing, a dark golden color, with a bit of tartness. A very pleasant tea to enjoy the evening. Cheers to all Pu Erh lovers!
Noonie

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:20 am

I mentioned two posts above that the 2000 Sheng I tried was very woody/earthy. I used a Yixing past two sessions and it really, really improved the flavour profile for me. So much smoother, also more chocolate and nut than wood/soil. Yum!
Noonie

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:49 pm

2013 YS “Xiang Ming” wild arbor raw

*At a friends cottage*
AA76A8B1-97C9-40B5-A0FC-BE34E813D997.jpeg
AA76A8B1-97C9-40B5-A0FC-BE34E813D997.jpeg (192.94 KiB) Viewed 6508 times