What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
Teas We Like
Vendor

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:43 am

Bok wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:19 pm

Nice teapot there in the shadows... is that Qinghuini? Or does the lighting betray its true colour?
Yes, qinghuini :)
VoirenTea

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:37 pm

2003 Yuanjiutang Ban Zhang from tea-encounter.com (they make clear that they can't confirm provenance and it is priced accordingly). Whatever it is, it is a very mellow tea with camphor taste and smooth feel.

Next I'll need to decide whether to dig out some of my other teenaged teas for comparison, or try the young samples.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:29 am

2007 Mangzhi Eight pieces Sheng from Sunsing via Anmo Art Cha. Nice tea, I am slowly getting into drinking Puerh… who would have thought! Has these dried apple-flavour I have come to associate with younger Puerh. Woody and old book smell, yet fresh and it making me break out sweat!

Good tea for calming down in troubled times. I brewed it in an antique Wuni-clay Yixing, which seems to do well in general with Puerh.
DailyTX

Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:18 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:29 am
2007 Mangzhi Eight pieces Sheng from Sunsing via Anmo Art Cha. Nice tea, I am slowly getting into drinking Puerh… who would have thought! Has these dried apple-flavour I have come to associate with younger Puerh. Woody and old book smell, yet fresh and it making me break out sweat!

Good tea for calming down in troubled times. I brewed it in an antique Wuni-clay Yixing, which seems to do well in general with Puerh.
@Bok
I too noticed you have been trying more pu erh. I often hear people say pu erh is the final destination of Chinese tea, I wonder if this is the case with you :lol:
Keep us updated if you encounter any good ones worth storing/buying
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:26 am

DailyTX wrote:
I often hear people say pu erh is the final destination of Chinese tea, I wonder if this is the case with you :lol:
Never! Unless I pass out after having a cup of Puerh :mrgreen:

Oolong still is and always will be my favourite kind of teas, nothing beats a good Yancha, Dancong or Dongding. Add to those the aged versions of them and I don't need Puerh at all.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:28 am

If I had all the funds available in the world, I'd buy the top Yancha and just drink that until the end of my days...
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:50 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Keep us updated if you encounter any good ones worth storing/buying
Take this with a grain of salt coming from a non-regular Puerh drinker:

I really did like these three, seems I like the middle aged, kind :mrgreen:
Sunsing Yiwu Sheng 2007
Yeung’s treasure 2005 Sheng
Mangzhi 8pcs Sheng 2007

All from Sunsing in HK, but via Anmo in Germany. So I imagine it being a good option for those in the EU, as they will already have taken care of import and customs...
teabooksart

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:34 pm

Was sent an absolutely lovely sample of a 2002 7581 Kunming Tea Brick from PuerhPrivate (instagram). Did a light steep first and then went all out and I have to say the chocolate and woodiness of this tea is really special. I'm digging the contrast between the crisp upfront flavor and the velvety lingering mouthfeel at the end.

Victoria
Admin

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:02 pm

teabooksart wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:34 pm
Was sent an absolutely lovely sample of a 2002 7581 Kunming Tea Brick from PuerhPrivate (instagram). Did a light steep first and then went all out and I have to say the chocolate and woodiness of this tea is really special. I'm digging the contrast between the crisp upfront flavor and the velvety lingering mouthfeel at the end.

and I’m digging your post @teabooksart. That Kunming sounds really good, and your capture tells an elegant story with notes of Spring approaching.
Tetsubin

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:25 am

the 2012 Yeh Gu from YQH. The flavors are certainly not for the faint of hearted :lol: . But the energy of this tea just resonate strongly with me.
VoirenTea

Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:13 am

I got out all my 200X sheng puerh (a surprising amount once you add all the samples up) and have been working my way through my 'Ban Zhangs'.

2004 Banzhang from Liquid Proust - this one had a smoky taste, while the wet leaves smelled humid and sweetish. Some huigan.

Mad King 2006 Spring Ban Zhang Qiao Mu from Bitterleaf Teas - smoother and less harsh to start than the LP, still strong. I didn't make any more notes... It fades out to an 'old' taste.
VoirenTea

Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:08 pm

This afternoon's was the 2009 Lao Ban Zhang from Yunnan Sourcing (Spring, produced by members of Mengku Shuangjiang Tea Factory).

Wet leaves smell strongly fruity/raisiny. It has an edge, then huigan and a long, lingering cooling mouthfeel. Very nice to drink. Makes itself known for a long time after drinking.
teabooksart

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 am

Victoria wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:02 pm
and I’m digging your post teabooksart. That Kunming sounds really good, and your capture tells an elegant story with notes of Spring approaching.
Thank you! I like being able to do reviews like this. I may have been procrastinating a bit on writing papers but sometimes a tea break is necessary!
VoirenTea wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:08 pm
This afternoon's was the 2009 Lao Ban Zhang from Yunnan Sourcing (Spring, produced by members of Mengku Shuangjiang Tea Factory).

Wet leaves smell strongly fruity/raisiny. It has an edge, then huigan and a long, lingering cooling mouthfeel. Very nice to drink. Makes itself known for a long time after drinking.
Oh that sounds delicious. Excuse me while I add yet another tea to my wishlist on YS!
VoirenTea

Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:51 pm

2005 Wild Xiaguan from Liquid Proust.

Ok, that's different! Needs longer steeps to get going. It tastes like liu an! That musty, nutty taste, plus kind of a citrus peel aroma on top of that and quite a strong sweetness at the end. The leaves have a lot of aroma.

Other sellers are saying "wild camphor" - the thing I ID as camphor isn't quite as nutty. Liu bao vs liu an, at least as far as I have tasted them.

I think the question with this one is whether a strongly-chenpi-ed but lightly brewed shou couldn't get three-quarters of the way there. (I know, that's why shou was developed). Though this one hasn't had the storage that more expensive versions have.
debunix

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:06 pm

Norbu Lao Cha Tou nuggets from 2009. I loved the sweet plummy earthy nature of this one and bought several bricks; I still have some of that first purchase left. It is rich and deep, and continues to give as much pleasure now as it did at the beginning. I became quite worried once I broke into my last brick of it and realized it was not going to appear again, and started searching for other teas that were similarly reliable and pleasing and undemanding. I feel fortunate to have found some, and been able to buy a comfortable stock of them, but was very glad to be able to share such a comforting tea around the office today.

After all, it is made by pouring out boiling water onto the leaf, and when I extend my hand with pitcher and the recipient extends their hand with a cup, it's 4 feet of distance....but still a happy tea connection.