What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
Rui

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:55 am

2014 Yibang gushu sheng from Terre de Ciel in France. An excellent tea in all aspects, flavour, aroma, smoothness, etc. Just what the doctor ordered. :D

https://www.the-puerh.com/fr/boutique/t ... 4-171.html
Teas We Like
Vendor

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:32 pm

Rui wrote:
2014 Yibang gushu sheng from Terre de Ciel in France. An excellent tea in all aspects, flavour, aroma, smoothness, etc. Just what the doctor ordered. :D

Nice. Yibang teas can be elegant.

i needed a tea with some kick today. Ended up having some Xiaguan Love Forever (the paper tong version).
lfpt_papertong.jpg
lfpt_papertong.jpg (161.03 KiB) Viewed 6476 times
gregcss

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:03 pm

Teas We Like wrote:
i needed a tea with some kick today. Ended up having some Xiaguan Love Forever (the paper tong version).
I only had this a couple times then put is away for a couple months. I think I need to sneak a sample this tomorrow 8-)
Rui

Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:19 am

Teas We Like wrote:
Rui wrote:

Thank you. This one is indeed very pleasant.

As to your Xiaguan Love Forever I always enjoy it as it has the right type of storage for me.
Rui

Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:21 am

Today I am sipping another very smooth tea: Autumn 2009 Nannuoshan Ban Po from Les Thes Terre de Ciel in France:

https://www.the-puerh.com/en/shop/puer- ... 9-212.html
gregcss

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:04 pm

Rui

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:11 am

Sipping 2014 Lao Man Er mao cha. Usually I am always reluctant to have anything to do with Lao Man Er due to its characteristic bitterness but this one is actually quite yummy.
Tea Adventures

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:09 am

Today feels like the first day of Spring so I wanted something fresher. I went with a 2018 Hekai Sheng Puerh because I'm also looking to buy a new Yixing pot for sheng. Testing all the different clays and grades of clay I own to see what pairs well with young sheng. Interesting to see how the different pots affect the tea in their own way. The most difficult thing would be to pick the best one... Experiments like this are part of what makes tea so interesting and fun.
Ginpachi

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:25 pm

Just enjoying the 2016 Yunnan Sourcing "Wild Purple Green Mark", which is a mix of Raw and Ripe Pu-erh tea leaves.
Very yummy to my tongue, has a nice creamy after taste, and it is long lasting (giving many infusions). But most important, it makes me feel relaxed in a nice way. Perfect evening tea, for me. Anyone else enjoying this tea?

@Teas We LikeAre you set on getting an Yixing teapot, or do you also consider pots of other origins? I have just tried a Tokoname Kyusu by Junzo with semi-aged sheng puerh - and I totally like it. Maybe Japanese pots are also worth considering. In any case, I hope you find a suitable sheng teapot!
debunix

Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 pm

2007 Mengku organic sheng puerh: I wrote a little more about this tea in a January post, and tonight I am enjoying a thermos session with this lovely tea. It reminds me a lot of some YiWu bamboo aged puerh from Norbu, and a Wu Liang puerh from YS I last drank a long time ago. I have to look to see if I have more of the Wu Liang; I know I have more of the YiWu from Norbu because I loved it so much. I'm trying to drink mindfully to describe what I like about these teas: they have a baseline caramel sweetness amidst the earthiness and anise and light herbaceous bitterness that I have to carefully work around by keeping them quite dilute--but prolonged holding like this thermos session also tames a bit of it.
VoirenTea

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:58 pm

I've been working my way through some samples from tea-encounter.com (am writing out the whole address because they are not very googleable otherwise...)

2008 Fengmingyuan Nannuo: Smooth drinking, has old books taste and a long menthol-ish edge. Can take longer brews right at the start. Tingle on mid-tongue, cooling mouthfeel. The description talks about sweetness, but my attention is all focused on the menthol. My favourite of these three.

2010 Fengmingyuan 0812 (Menghai area): This has some astringency/acrid edge that comes in after the first steep (fairly compressed) and really sticks around in the mouth for a long time. Also cooling mouthfeel. I did not much like this one - the aftereffect is very similar, but in the Nannuo the menthol comes in at the end and isn't what I would call astringent, whereas here it is and it comes in straight away, overpowering anything else. (Think I need to compare to some of my other Menghai-area sheng, because I haven't had any of those for a while).

2008 Fangmingyuan Bama (Nannuo): In contrast to the other two, this one is much more like a mellowed young sheng. It has some green astringency (specifically green, rather than what the 0812 has) and fruity taste. Good smooth sipping feel, also cooling mouthfeel. Is nice, but am in two minds about buying the full cake because of the volume of tea in my sheng chest... It isn't as obviously different an animal from all my young sheng.

(Only had one session each of these, so my tastebuds may vary!)
VoirenTea

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:41 pm

2013 Fangmingyuan Nannuo sheng puerh from tea-encounter.com.

I thought the scent of the wet leaves might have had a hint of damp forest smoke at the start, but not fully certain as it was fleeting.

This one has quite a lot of green astringency at the start - at steep 3 it got very nice as you could taste the fruit as well as the green. It lingers somewhat on the tongue but has nothing like the aftertaste of the older ones. Not as smooth as the 2008.

(Oh, and the 2008 Bama tasted older as it began to fade out, because the green and fruity go first).
Teas We Like
Vendor

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:49 pm

Ginpachi wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:25 pm
Teas We LikeAre you set on getting an Yixing teapot, or do you also consider pots of other origins? I have just tried a Tokoname Kyusu by Junzo with semi-aged sheng puerh - and I totally like it. Maybe Japanese pots are also worth considering. In any case, I hope you find a suitable sheng teapot!
Thanks @Ginpachi ! I do have several yixing pots that work well with sheng. I also have a few tokoname kyusus, but I tend to prefer yixing for sheng, tokoname kyusus are often a bit too muting for sheng for my taste. I did experience good results using a tokoname shudei teapot for wet stored sheng that had some humid notes (not one of the teas we offer on our site).
Teas We Like
Vendor

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:51 pm

I am having Naked Yiwu today. The aging is coming along really well. In addition to the usual Yiwu sweetness, this tea shows some mild pleasant acidity I have encountered also in some Wangong productions. A hint of smokiness in the processing is turning to incense and gives the tea more balance.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:19 pm

Teas We Like wrote:
Rui wrote:

Nice teapot there in the shadows... is that Qinghuini? Or does the lighting betray its true colour?