What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
Bok
Vendor

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:07 am

Balthazar wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:05 am
2006 CNNP Yiwu Yesheng "Classic Grade" - There's two version of this tea with green tree wrappers: the 380g "Classic Grade" and the 357g "Special Grade" . And then there's a 357g version of the "Classic Grade" with a different wrapper. I'm having the latter.

This has aged nicely in its Taiwan storage and is very drinkable at present (doubt it's gonna more). A simple and reliable tea. I appreciate the fact that it has not appreciated much in price (this is true for both grades).

Funfact: Apparently the usage of "yesheng" (wild) on puer wrappers became illegal some time in 2006, so the word no longer appears on productions after 2007
Last I heard it’s also illegal now to mention 100+ Y old tree on the wrapping…
Balthazar

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:46 am

That's interesting to hear. Maybe single tree claims will be next. In the end we're left with only recipe names :mrgreen:

On that topic, I've noticed that terms that convey a similar meaning to yesheng has become more common in heicha productions, e.g. huangshan (荒山). Not sure if the producers are just finding creative ways to circumvent the ban (actually not sure if the yesheng termonology ban applies outside of puer production).
Stephen

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:18 pm

I just opened a cake of the 2006 Fuhai 7576 Lao Shu Ye Sheng Qiao Mu Yuan Cha (I'm joking of course, I'm sure it's very ordinary tea!) I've always enjoyed the light fermentation and Cha Qi of this 2006 Fuhai 7576, and it really seems to be aging nicely. I think this is likely due to my updated storage. The ongoing drought and warmer summers in my area have made it challenging to keep up humidity, but a new humidity control has really helped.
Mitten5

Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:54 am

Having my last session with a 2007 V93 250g tuo. I drink a fair amount of small grade shou but this was the first V93 I've had. Overall it had good shou taste and intensity of character. The texture is a bit thinner than I like, but that's okay. It gives good, even energy without too many spikes or dips, and I was drinking in the morning before work every day.
YeeOnTeaCo
Vendor

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:04 pm

Balthazar wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:23 am
Andrew S wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:52 am
Balthazar: is this one of the two 1999 loose teas on their website, or something else?
Nope, this one was bought through one of those FB auction pages. Loose teas always go for quite cheap on there, no doubt due to the fact that it's anyone's guess what they really are (and very little or no value as an investment).

From the description, if you're curious:
茶廠:(港)義安茶莊 特訂(邊境古樹茶)
年份:1990年末
規格: 200公克一袋
生熟: 生茶 木質樟香 藥香浮現 茶性溫和 身體發微熱 幫助循環 氣通胃順 回甘生津 湯色很漂亮紅潤 如圖所示 這種類型的散茶市場已經很少看得到了 好茶共享
茶倉:輕港倉 後期台灣自然倉 老韻陳香
Andrew S wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:52 am
They usually lose their storage character in the first few infusions, and then surrender more of their original raw character in subsequent brews.
This one does that too. The raw character comes through after 3-4 brews, and it's this character (together with the energy) that has me thinking it's either a mix of sheng and (lightly fermented) shu or all sheng. But I'm not experienced enough with loose puer to conclude either way.
Sorry to dig up this old thread! Although you’ve found a tea which you enjoy, we just want to bring to attention that this is not a tea which we’ve sold in the past.

Often we see online stores in China selling tea using our name, and even use counterfeit packaging (see our Instagram Post for example). So we just want buyers to beware if they are specifically looking for our teas online, there is only one place to go :D
Balthazar

Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:58 pm

@YeeOnTeaCo thanks for the clarification. The Taiwanese vendor in question sells quite a few loose leaf teas who's "story details" are doubtful. Tagging on reputable vendor names to loose leaf teas is one of several tricks :mrgreen:

Luckily this was a very nice tea. I have very little of it left, and have saved the remains for the winter.
mrmopu

Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:20 am

2007 Qi Sheng Gu from Essence of Tea. This has aged into a really nice tea. Softer with plum and fruit undertones. I like it a lot. If this is an indication of how my other teas from them will age I am excited. I may not get as quick turnaround as my conditions are nowhere as good but I do hope it trends like this one has.
LeoFox

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:54 pm

A 2006 GZ dry stored Qing bing from a 2017 white2tea club package ( kind gift from @@Baisao)
SmartSelect_20210918-165235_Samsung Internet.jpg
SmartSelect_20210918-165235_Samsung Internet.jpg (167.71 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
Quite nice smooth thickness, sweetness and floral aromatics....through my hong qing shui ni colored glasses (🙏 @Bok )

The sweetness is like dried apricots and sugarcane, and is persistent.

The sweetness is framed by a nuttiness (maybe slightly rancid) up front and a bitter grassiness going down. Bitterness is not too bad and somewhat cooling/refreshing- it spreads to the sides of the tongue.

Actually really reminded me of certain thick white tea when pushed hard. Astringency was not too bad (with food), though it definitely builds up as the session progresses - and there are none of those dank notes. I wonder now where I can get more.
Andrew S

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:01 pm

@LeoFox: the other "dank, wet" one sounds nice to me, but that's just me... How did the style of storage taste to you, compared to others you've had from around that period?

I'm playing with some old loose leaf puer today, allegedly from the 70s, but you can never really prove that kind of thing. It gives me an overwhelming sense of tranquility and detachment from the world that creeps up after the first one or two infusions, and then stays very strong. A fun tea to have for another weekend spent being locked-down.

The thing about this tea is that it feels like it has been kept quite dry over its life, at least by traditional standards, and it tastes fully mature after a few decades, yet it still retains a bite and some astringency to the mouthfeel.

I wonder how long it would take modern dry storage in someone's home to create something like this. My own feeling is that it'd never become the same, and will end up being quite a different style of tea. The coming years will probably see posts from people who've been storing their teas at home for two or so decades, and it will be interesting to see what their teas have turned into.

Andrew
Attachments
_MG_8533.jpg
_MG_8533.jpg (229.31 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
LeoFox

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:49 pm

Andrew S wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:01 pm
LeoFox: the other "dank, wet" one sounds nice to me, but that's just me... How did the style of storage taste to you, compared to others you've had from around that period?
I guess a key difference is in the feeling it evokes. This tea was not particularly relaxing- it felt somewhat neutral. A sunsing tea of similar age already had a relaxing kind of effect. The sun sing tea was also much more complex and had a softer, more gentle effect - though I'm guessing the underlying material is superior.
Chadrinkincat

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:55 pm

Sipping on a few samples from Houde.

The 2001 green sun cake is soft mellow tea with a nice herbal profile. Is it worth $575/cake? Not sure I’d pay that much but clearly someone else did because it is officially sold out.

The 2009 “spring of bin dao” has a nice minty cooling effect but is a rather harsh tea w/ a fair amount of bitterness. I can see this one being pretty decent in another 5-10yrs once those rough edges mellow out.

2001 Large-“Chung” Dual Nei Fei Purple-Yellow Mark is forgettable. Maybe this will improve once it sits in a tin for a month but I suspect it’ll be a sample I don’t end up finishing anytime soon.
kobold

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:43 pm

2009 Langhe "Lao Cha Tou" Ripe Pu-Erh Tea Nuggets (YS). This is one of those teas that I keep infusing and it just keeps going, getting better with each steep. The nuggets are still in one piece at #7 or 8. It is very sweet, creamy, also a bit of mint (almost tea tree oil). Satisfying and moreish.
LeoFox

Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:03 pm

Brewing this young sheng again
viewtopic.php?p=37237#p37237

This time with cooler water - I was told I'm only punishing myself by drinking young sheng with off boiling infusions

So I used 87-93 C - basically off boiling water that I pour into an gaiwan first before I use it a few seconds later.

Used a lower load too: 2g in 85 mL

First challenge was to open up that chunk. At this lower temp, needed 3x 30s rinses. Those rinses didn't have much taste.

Then I started with 30s infusions- treating it a bit like lower level chinese greens.

The flavor is weak..as expected. But yes - low bitterness and the astringency is quite a bit more controlled..though after a while I could still feel it in my stomach.

Soup still becomes thick - it is floral and fruity sweet. However the tea load remains very strong. Felt like I got injected with some tranq in the neck (not good).

I think I had better experience with clay and hotter water
debunix

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:56 pm

kobold wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:43 pm
2009 Langhe "Lao Cha Tou" Ripe Pu-Erh Tea Nuggets (YS). This is one of those teas that I keep infusing and it just keeps going, getting better with each steep. The nuggets are still in one piece at #7 or 8. It is very sweet, creamy, also a bit of mint (almost tea tree oil). Satisfying and moreish.
I’m pretty sure I got the same nuggets from Norbu. It’s quite lovely stuff. I always think plums and forest humus.
OCTO

Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:52 am

Having some aged 80s sheng mini too cha..... no quirky blends today. Just a simple cup of aged sheng. No codes, no batch number, no manufacturer dates, no factory address..... Sweetness in a cup. Aged aroma, smooth tea broth and long lasting enjoyment for the evening after a satisfying morning ride.

Cheers!!

IMG_8255 2.JPG
IMG_8255 2.JPG (156.92 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
IMG_8265 2.jpg
IMG_8265 2.jpg (143.57 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
IMG_8270.jpg
IMG_8270.jpg (165.49 KiB) Viewed 3628 times