What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
Ken

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:35 am

tealifehk wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Tried the cake above today. Barely any flavor at this point: just bitterness. Smooth and clean though! And the start of aged flavors. This is a cake I need to wait on. Hopefully it'll be more interesting in a year or two! I'm pretty sure it will be, and since this material is Mengku, I'm curious to see what kind of aged flavors will develop.
Hi Jay. I bought two tongs of WAK with the exact same production date from the greenteaguru two years ago (he got them from Scott) and my cakes are full of Mengku (Bingdao/DXS) flavor and on top of that the aroma, especially the complex, perfumy leng xiang in the empty cup is one of the most expressive I've ever experienced and stays in the cup for days! Anyway, I found it a bit diva-esque to brew and it definitely benefits a lot from the right water and so, after some initial trials to make this tea sing I ended up brewing it at slightly lower temperatures (initial 88-90 deg C.) and preferably in a flatter celadon gaiwan in order to keep the profile balanced and to bring out more of those perfumey notes in the cup.
Rui

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:01 am

Ken wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:10 am
Rui wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:14 am
2009 Mengku "1974" premium rw pu-erh from Yunnan Sourcing club. Now a smooth and very sippable tea which has been matured in a dry environment probably Kunming. Recommended.
Hi Rui. (I'm ex-kuanglong from teachat). Nice to see you and some other teachatters posting here. I'm glad you like your Mengku :) . I finished another pot of 2016 YS Big Snow Mountain Wild Arbor last night. Despite being from the same area it tastes pretty different from the '1974' or any Mengku Shuangjiang in my stash but has some nice energy, a northern profile with a touch of florals and dark honey, decent mouthfeel and it's surprisingly sweet after a couple months in storage. I bought two tongs of this stuff for a friend, great bang for the buck IMO.
Hi there. Thank you very much for the Mengku pointers as they are always much appreciated for me to expand my tea knowledge (and expand my stash).

I do have other Mengku teas in my stash including some wild teas. I do like that region but I tend to sip it only after a few years have elapsed as I am really a Yiwu sheng tea boy. LOL
Rui

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:05 am

2018 Yunnan Sourcing "Xiang Chun Lin" Yi Wu Old Arbor sheng tea. Another very smooth and yummy young sheng that I enjoy sipping and getting the lovely aroma. Unfortunately it is a bit beyond my tea expenditure ratio at the moment so I only got a 25gms sample. Probably I'll be posting a picture of it on Sunday when I am planning to try it again in more controlled conditions.
Ken

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:18 am

Rui wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:01 am
Ken wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:10 am
Rui wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:14 am
2009 Mengku "1974" premium rw pu-erh from Yunnan Sourcing club. Now a smooth and very sippable tea which has been matured in a dry environment probably Kunming. Recommended.
Hi Rui. (I'm ex-kuanglong from teachat). Nice to see you and some other teachatters posting here. I'm glad you like your Mengku :) . I finished another pot of 2016 YS Big Snow Mountain Wild Arbor last night. Despite being from the same area it tastes pretty different from the '1974' or any Mengku Shuangjiang in my stash but has some nice energy, a northern profile with a touch of florals and dark honey, decent mouthfeel and it's surprisingly sweet after a couple months in storage. I bought two tongs of this stuff for a friend, great bang for the buck IMO.
Hi there. Thank you very much for the Mengku pointers as they are always much appreciated for me to expand my tea knowledge (and expand my stash).

I do have other Mengku teas in my stash including some wild teas. I do like that region but I tend to sip it only after a few years have elapsed as I am really a Yiwu sheng tea boy. LOL
I hear you, Rui. I still have a pretty soft spot for Mengku/DXS sheng after all, especially wild leaves.
(Sipping some Campesino yerba mate right now, looking forward to an extended sheng session tonite).
Rui

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:24 am

Ken wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:18 am
I hear you, Rui. I still have a pretty soft spot for Mengku/DXS sheng after all, especially wild leaves.
(Sipping some Campesino yerba mate right now, looking forward to an extended sheng session tonite).
Yerba mate, now that is something I have never tried. :-O
lopin

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Sipping xiaguan "horse road/back" 2007 toucha. It has improved a lot in 6 months in my pumidor. Really smooth, some minerality at the back and sweet aftertaste with very little peatlike smoke hints
IMG_20181026_195742.jpg
IMG_20181026_195742.jpg (233.98 KiB) Viewed 7730 times
Psyck

Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:09 am

lopin wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:00 pm
Sipping xiaguan "horse road/back" 2007 toucha. It has improved a lot in 6 months in my pumidor. Really smooth, some minerality at the back and sweet aftertaste with very little peatlike smoke hintsIMG_20181026_195742.jpg
Fermenting on horseback leads to minerality at the back.
_Soggy_

Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:53 pm

Drank some taiwan 90s sheng(white label? blue mark? honestly don't remember or care) that I split with a friend. It was my first taste since getting it and was decently impressed. Quite a good tea despite being almost too smooth that if I brewed it like shou I would be having a hard time to discern it was aged sheng. it had that wonderful immediate coloring/steeping like shou and just a great mouthfeel and depth. there was only a little bit of brown on the wet leaves, but almost fully fermented. It was also good enough to drink now without too much dankness. I think I probably should have gotten more(that was the plan but things happen), but oh well.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:22 am

A friend in tea treated me to some Puerh, which I rarely drink and never buy.
A Sheng from 2001, from a no name wild tree brick.

The special thing about this tea was that it had hints of charcoal fire. Apparently back in that period, some wild tree Puerh was still dried over charcoal fire still up in the mountains, as the way back was long and this way the tea could last until being carried back for further processing. It is in no way similar to the smokey Lapsang kind. A very subtle hint only, which makes for an almost whiskey-like drinking experience. As the tea is still comparatively young, brew was a deep clear orange. Very nice tea!

Second treat was a half-shou, half-sheng mushroom, something which I, in my Puerh ignorance did not know exists. Alas, I liked it a lot less... still not as other shous which had always put me off, but yet not something I would invest time and money in.

All brewed in a nice thick walled Qing-dynasty-zini-Japan-export-pot :mrgreen:
Ken

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:47 am

2016 YS Qing Mei Shan (What-cha)

One of my favs among Scott's old arbor/gushu offerings. After having tried some older spring versions of this cake I'm glad I perservered, sampled the '16 bing (and purchased a mini-tong :P ). This and especially the '15 version are two very different teas in pretty much any regard (side-by-side comparative tasting). If there's one thing I miss from the '15 cake it's the pronounced almost plasma like early morning dew theme that has been the center of attraction for me in the older cake but for anything else (taste profile, perfume, qi, depth, aftertaste and not at last durability) I'd pick the '16 tea. (I haven't tried the '17 harvest so far but already put a sample in my YS cart).
Rui

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:56 am

2014 Yunnan Sourcing autumn Lao Shu Bai Cha old arbor sheng tea. Smooth, slightly sweet and with no astringency or bitterness to speak of. A great tea to start the week calmly.
Ken

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:05 am

Rui wrote:
2014 Yunnan Sourcing autumn Lao Shu Bai Cha old arbor sheng tea. Smooth, slightly sweet and with no astringency or bitterness to speak of. A great tea to start the week calmly.
Sounds like a much gentler version of the 2015 spring cakes; the latter pack a decent bit of bitterness and astringency, albeit nicely balanced.
(I have 5 1/2 100g cakes (what-cha again) in storage and their taste profile has changed quite a bit over the last two years. There's almost nothing left of that initial, forefront fruitiness and I have no idea what they'll turn into somewhat further down the road.
时间能证明 … Time will tell :lol: )
Rui

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:58 am

Ken wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:05 am
Rui wrote:
Sounds like a much gentler version of the 2015 spring cakes; the latter pack a decent bit of bitterness and astringency, albeit nicely balanced.
(I have 5 1/2 100g cakes (what-cha again) in storage and their taste profile has changed quite a bit over the last two years. There's almost nothing left of that initial, forefront fruitiness and I have no idea what they'll turn into somewhat further down the road.
时间能证明 … Time will tell :lol: )
Absolutely. Its freshness of a couple of years ago is no longer there but it is still yummy. I also agree with you on what is going to become in the future.
Last edited by Rui on Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rui

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:00 am

2003 Changtai "Yi Chang Hao" Raw Pu-erh Tea Cake of Yi Wu from Yunnan Sourcing. Another sweet mild tea which has pleased me in the past and it is getting better all the time. It is now sold out in Yunnan Sourcing.
Ken

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:00 am

Spoiler alert … dirt cheap shu pu

2015 Nan Jian 703 (Organic)

Bought two tongs of this shu for some friends back in Swamp county and had another session myself this morning.
I'm not much of a shu bro but in that ongoing crap weather (it's been raining for more than a week now) this stuff just delivers. Right from the get go - no rinse - there's a predominant impression of creamy, fruity black forest cherry tart topped with dark chocolate flakes (I actually prefer a pot of this tea over the real, fat and sugar laden stuff :shock: ).
Good strength and balance, slightly sweet with decent kuwei, OK viscosity and mouthfeel, more fruity, chocolatey than earthy or shroomy with no dui wei to speak of, a good dose of caffeine and finally decent durability.
Standing outside in the cold drizzle this morning with a hot bowl of this tea in my hands I couldn't have asked for anything more satisfying - an ideal match in that moment.
Last edited by Ken on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.