What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
DailyTX

Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Pulled out a 2000 Yiwu Sheng brick from YS that I purchased last year or the year before, memory is a little fuzzy. I sampled initially, and then once every couple months. The tea had a strong wet storage taste. After airing out for 6+ months in a well circulated room, I decided to just leave it alone with my other puerh teas. The tea still has a little wet storage taste, not as strong as before. I tried to limit the quantity of leaves to tone down the woody taste.
pantry

Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:16 pm

Still super busy with work, but managed to brew up some bohetang huangpian '19 and YQH chawangshu '06 while fighting my keyboard
OCTO

Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:38 pm

pantry wrote:
Still super busy with work, but managed to brew up some bohetang huangpian '19 and YQH chawangshu '06 while fighting my keyboard
When I am working from home battling with work on a busy day, I would usually brew up a larger pot (grandpa style) and let it soak all day. Refilling with hot water along the way. Sometimes, large cups come in handy.... hahaha...

Cheers!
pantry

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:27 pm

OCTO wrote:
pantry wrote:
When I am working from home battling with work on a busy day, I would usually brew up a larger pot (grandpa style) and let it soak all day. Refilling with hot water along the way. Sometimes, large cups come in handy.... hahaha...

Cheers!
Thanks for the tip! That was basically what happened today. I left both tea soaked in water for an hour! Luckily both teas were quite forgiving to brew, and were still super delicious. Duanni also helped with rounding the overbrewed tea :mrgreen:
OCTO

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:52 pm

pantry wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:27 pm
OCTO wrote:
pantry wrote:

Cheers!
Thanks for the tip! That was basically what happened today. I left both tea soaked in water for an hour! Luckily both teas were quite forgiving to brew, and were still super delicious. Duanni also helped with rounding the overbrewed tea :mrgreen:
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
tealifehk
Vendor

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:02 pm

Yesterday's session was YS Changtai Tianxia Tong'An (the regular version with no weight on the wrapper). I bought back in November 2016. This tea has aged very far along in my warehouse and now brews up as dark as shou, but it is very clean and complex. Brewed in a Green Label QSN pigeon beak shuiping. Was an excellent session. Lots of remaining character but also cleanly aged (and very far along). Some residual storage flavor from the early years in Guangdong, but mild. My session in QSN was far superior to my last session with this tea (in porcelain I believe). Totally the kind of thing I'd want to drink every day!
klepto

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:26 pm

2019 Tea Encounter Gua Feng Zhai, going to brew it up in a yixing teapot to see if I notice any differences the last time I had it. This morning was too chaotic to drink tea, people cutting grass and other loud noises. For some reason i find that quiet times are my favorite tea times.
maitre_tea

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:38 am

Drinking a 2009 Dayi 8582 that's been in storage for the past 10 years - a little older now but still has some ways to go. I've only got the one cake and I've only gone through 15% of it.

It's made me wonder about the strategy of buying tongs of cakes if you're just going for personal consumption - if you have a big enough selection of cakes how often are you to revisit cakes, even if they're your favorite? Even with my favorite cakes I get around to them at best once or twice a month - I've got other cakes and oolongs to shuffle through too.
faj

Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:19 am

maitre_tea wrote:
Even with my favorite cakes I get around to them at best once or twice a month - I've got other cakes and oolongs to shuffle through too.
If you had an option to sell the teas you like less, would you do it in order to have you favorites more often? Or is it your preference to taste different teas, even if that means having your favorites less oftent?
maitre_tea

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:54 am

faj wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:19 am
maitre_tea wrote:
Even with my favorite cakes I get around to them at best once or twice a month - I've got other cakes and oolongs to shuffle through too.
If you had an option to sell the teas you like less, would you do it in order to have you favorites more often? Or is it your preference to taste different teas, even if that means having your favorites less oftent?
I don't know if I'd want to see teas that I like less - maybe some of them will turn out better over time, I don't know who would be interested, and I don't want to bother with the hassle of selling cakes.

But even if I just focus on my favorite teas, even at the rate I'm going it'll probably will take a while to work through them all. I think if I want to buy new cakes I'd probably just buy 2-3: one to consume now, one to consume later, and one to consume much later.
StoneLadle

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:49 pm

Interesting. How people manage tea.

I tend to get fixated and barrel through a cake because it's just yummy and I want to drink a lot of it.

But because of certain people, I'm getting distracted by smoky roasted stuff also...
DailyTX

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:26 pm

Anyone can date this tea? A gift from a relative. The wrapper is super fragile, it feels like a dried leaf. When drink it hot, it has a sweat after mouth taste, no astringent and storage taste at all. After the tea is in room temperature, the astringent from the puerh came out. Very interesting experience
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2436.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2436.jpg (184.68 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
thumbnail_IMG_2434.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2434.jpg (173.57 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
klepto

Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:08 pm

EoT's 2019 Spring "Singularity" Gushu:
Oof, I rarely ever notice teas that have a strong qi but this one. My forehead is heavy and I'm going to take a power nap.
This one is sweet and spicy, in the past I never noticed the spices in these teas but they are there esp in puerh.

Nite Nite :D
Noonie

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:00 pm

klepto wrote:
Oof, I rarely ever notice teas that have a strong qi but this one. My forehead is heavy and I'm going to take a power nap.
This one is sweet and spicy, in the past I never noticed the spices in these teas but they are there esp in puerh.

Good to hear it knocked your socks off! First time you had the tea? I ask because sometimes I rave about a tea, and the next time I have it, meh
AgedS

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Noonie wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:00 pm
klepto wrote:

Good to hear it knocked your socks off! First time you had the tea? I ask because sometimes I rave about a tea, and the next time I have it, meh
I've had Singularity a couple times recently. I've heard that it has stoner qi to it, but I haven't really experienced it. Each time I've been puzzled, as it doesnt usually take a heavy qi to knock me out of commission. Anyway, I find its flavor and longevity pretty good for a young sheng, even if I don't "get" the qi.

I had Eot's single tree #5 from the July tea club and their 2001 Mengsa today. The single tree struck me as far and away better then when I had it last month. It was much smoothed out with some nice crisp cucumber vegetal notes, and some higher honey mixed in.

The Mengsa was dark and chocolatey with tobacco and wood. To get the best out of it, I've found you really have to push the leafing. I use a 120ml Taiwan that I usually put 6-7g of leaf in (yes I'm a lightweight), but I used 8.6g for the Mengsa, and it was my best session so far. I may try going a little further next time just to see what happens.

Paul