What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
klepto

Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 pm

EoT 2020 Yiwu Jiu Miao: Leather and resins in the front, sweetness and astringency in the back. I haven't had a lot of Yiwu but this isn't my favorite flavor profile but i enjoyed it due to it being different. @pantry and others? What are your favorite raw puerh terroir and what makes you pick some puerh as compared to others? I'm very curious about that.
vuanguyen

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:36 pm

klepto wrote:
EoT 2020 Yiwu Jiu Miao: Leather and resins in the front, sweetness and astringency in the back. I haven't had a lot of Yiwu but this isn't my favorite flavor profile but i enjoyed it due to it being different. pantry and others? What are your favorite raw puerh terroir and what makes you pick some puerh as compared to others? I'm very curious about that.
@klepto

Before beginning my journey to drink semi aged Puer, I have been drinking young sheng and taiwanese type oolongs for many years. My criteria for young sheng have always been sweetness, strength, stamina and consistency. I usually find sweetness, strength and stamina in higher end Yiwu teas. However, I have never had a tea where it's always consistent from one day to the next. Now, I rarely drink young sheng. But if I do I always drink single tree sheng. My go to source for single tree sheng is Hojo. He has been selling single tree sheng since 2018. The gushu single tree teas he is selling have always been sweet, thick, powerful and most important of all consistent in taste profiles and Qi. And because it is from Lincang area, the cost is not that expensive as compared to Yiwu teas (around 40-50 cents per g).
https://hojotea.com/en/posts-236/
Last edited by vuanguyen on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
klepto

Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:15 am

vuanguyen wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:36 pm
klepto wrote:
EoT 2020 Yiwu Jiu Miao: Leather and resins in the front, sweetness and astringency in the back. I haven't had a lot of Yiwu but this isn't my favorite flavor profile but i enjoyed it due to it being different. pantry and others? What are your favorite raw puerh terroir and what makes you pick some puerh as compared to others? I'm very curious about that.
klepto

Before beginning my journey to drink semi aged Puer, I have been drinking young sheng and taiwanese type oolongs for many years. My criteria for young sheng have always been sweetness, strength, stamina and consistency. I usually find sweetness, strength and stamina in higher end Yiwu teas. However, I have never had a tea where it's always consistent from one day to the next. Now, I rarely drink young sheng. But if I do I always drink single tree sheng. My go to source for single tree sheng is Hojo. He has been selling single tree sheng since 2018. The gushu single tree teas he is selling have always been sweet, thick, powerful and most important of all consistent is taste profiles and Qi. And because it is from Lincang area, the cost is not that expensive as compared to Yiwu teas (around 40-50 cents per g).
https://hojotea.com/en/posts-236/
My first tea love was Taiwan oolongs like Gui Fei and so I have love for young shengs. Thanks for the tip, I'm really new to raw puerh.
pantry

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:04 am

klepto wrote:

I love Yiwu teas! For semi-aged and older, I typically look for ones that give me a comfortable Qi, and Wistaria's generally do that for me. Fresher shengs are more interesting flavor-wise. I find Wangong to be more up front with its fragrance and sweetness. It's been forever since I had Bohetang, but I remember liking it a lot. Chawangshu for me is much more subtle than, say, Wangong. Aside from Yiwu, I also enjoy a good Gedeng because it's so different. In conclusion, I like all Yiwu and its peripheral teas. I just can't afford them all :lol:
Rui

Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:40 am

pantry wrote:
I love Yiwu teas! For semi-aged and older, I typically look for ones that give me a comfortable Qi, and Wistaria's generally do that for me. Fresher shengs are more interesting flavor-wise. I find Wangong to be more up front with its fragrance and sweetness. It's been forever since I had Bohetang, but I remember liking it a lot. Chawangshu for me is much more subtle than, say, Wangong. Aside from Yiwu, I also enjoy a good Gedeng because it's so different. In conclusion, I like all Yiwu and its peripheral teas. I just can't afford them all :lol:
Like you there are plenty of us who like teas from all sub-regions of Yiwu. :D
Rui

Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:43 am

2014 Yibang gu shu mao cha - Man Gong village from Les Thes Terre de Ciel in France.

Another region with sheng teas I like very much. :lol:
klepto

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:22 am

pantry wrote:
klepto wrote:

I have had some really good Yiwu, but that price goes way up for the really good ones. I've had a the Tea Urchin Yiwu Snake Blend that was really good and one from Sanhetang. When it has that duel super sweet, enjoyable bitterness battle with the thick texture its gold for me.
pantry

Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:27 pm

@klepto
My go-to when I want a casual taste of Yiwu without splurging is Yiwu Mountain Tea's gushu huangpian. Flavor-wise, it could be just as powerful when brewing it right :mrgreen:
klepto

Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:42 pm

pantry wrote:
klepto
My go-to when I want a casual taste of Yiwu without splurging is Yiwu Mountain Tea's gushu huangpian. Flavor-wise, it could be just as powerful when brewing it right :mrgreen:
That's my next stop, I've had that on my list for a while. I've been visiting their site ever since you mentioned it :mrgreen:
pantry

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:00 pm

klepto wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:42 pm
pantry wrote:
klepto
That's my next stop, I've had that on my list for a while. I've been visiting their site ever since you mentioned it :mrgreen:
Recommend getting a cake of their huangpian and a mix of their maocha. Their Bohetang is sold out :mrgreen:, but try their Bohetang Huangpian anyway.

I’m drinking their gedeng today :D
sqt

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:24 pm

2000 Zhang Xiang Bu Lang, Taiwan storage. Very good daily drinker. A bit thin but otherwise reminds me a bit of 01 XG Iron cake. Not as complex but also a fraction of the price.

Happy to have all of you Yiwu lovers around, leave the Bulang alone for me, thanks!
Rui

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:58 am

Today is the turn of finishing off a tea sample from Les Thes Terre de Ciel's 2009 Nannuo Shan Ban Po sheng. :D
sqt

Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:49 am

Fuhai 7536 2006, Singapore storage.

This is a staple when I am working from home and therefore rather distracted. Not the most complex but very comforting.
eatevoltap

Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:46 am

it's been a while since I posted something here. I am still drinking my everyday pu'er, one ore 2 session per day. today having reading this too late from W2T, very enjoyable aroma, good huigan and after taste
vuanguyen

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:04 pm

Finally getting teas from Emmett (Yang Qing Hao). Shipping was fast to California and only took 7 days for direct shipment from Taiwan using just EMS. First up...the 2006 Chawangshu. It's a Yiwu tea. At 85 cents per gram, is it better than the cheaper 2003 Wistaria ZiPin also from Yiwu? For me...nope...and I have drunk this tea for 3 consecutive days so that I don't make the mistake of prematurely judging the tea. It is not a sweet tea but it has a sweet and interesting aftertaste that linger in my tongue and mouth for more than 1 hour after my tea session. The Qi was warm but not stimulating. It tasted more like the Wistaria 2004 Zi Yun (Nannuo area) than a Yiwu tea. For the price of 1 cake (500gm), I can buy 900 gm of loose leaf Wistaria Zi Yun. The Wistaria Zi Yun is also a very good "dry" tea with similar taste profiles and much stronger Qi.

Bottom line: It's a good tea but overrated. Even at similar price, I would rather drink the Wistaria 2004 Zi Yun.

IMG_2472.jpg
IMG_2472.jpg (272.76 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
IMG_2474.jpg
IMG_2474.jpg (212.55 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
IMG_2477.jpg
IMG_2477.jpg (109.22 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
IMG_2479.jpg
IMG_2479.jpg (227.52 KiB) Viewed 5424 times