What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
User avatar
pantry
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:34 am
Location: California

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:39 pm

klepto wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:30 pm
pantry wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:06 pm
Trying Wistaria's Longpa sample today. Glad it's just a sample :lol:
That reminds me of my early days trying samples from random vendors. Oof, it would make you wonder how they could screw up so badly. Supposedly some smoked oolong tasted like a charcoal briquette :(
Well, it's not that the tea is bad or anything. I just don't like it enough to stock up :mrgreen:
Rui
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:44 am
Location: Luebeck - Germany

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:34 am

2015 Yunnan Sourcing Autumn Ba Wai village sheng sample. Smooth and sweet.

My goodness when am I going to finish all these tea samples? :lol:
User avatar
klepto
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 pm
Location: Floridaman, USA

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:41 am

Rui wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:34 am
2015 Yunnan Sourcing Autumn Ba Wai village sheng sample. Smooth and sweet.

My goodness when am I going to finish all these tea samples? :lol:
I've been buying heavy sheng samples lately even though I have a lot of Wuyi oolong just waiting for some attention :mrgreen:
I better start drinking tea in the mornings and evenings to clear out the war chest.
Rui
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:44 am
Location: Luebeck - Germany

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 am

klepto wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:41 am
I've been buying heavy sheng samples lately even though I have a lot of Wuyi oolong just waiting for some attention :mrgreen:
I better start drinking tea in the mornings and evenings to clear out the war chest.
:lol: you seem to be in the same boat as me but during the week for the past 6 or seven months all I have been drinking is tea from tea samples reseving weekends to sip teas from proper tea cakes or bricks. So far I seem to have hardly touched the level of tea samples in stock! :o :? :lol:
faj
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:45 am
Location: Quebec

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:49 am

Rui wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 am
:lol: you seem to be in the same boat as me but during the week for the past 6 or seven months all I have been drinking is tea from tea samples reseving weekends to sip teas from proper tea cakes or bricks. So far I seem to have hardly touched the level of tea samples in stock! :o :? :lol:
Taste every tea you want to taste, drink mainly teas you really like, minimize wasted tea : pick two.
Noonie
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:30 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:45 am

I've had three Pu'ers on rotation the last couple weeks:

2017 Yunnan Sourcing "Classic" Certified Organic Ripe. I drink this every other morning in an 80's' yixing pot, usually when I have time to enjoy it and I'm not rushing anywhere...mainly because it's so smooth, sweet and enjoyable. Not overly complex, but can be steeped many times.

2015 Yiwu Sheng Tai Raw from Camellia Sinensis. It's light, with some astringency, tasty but doesn't retain it's vigor beyond 5-6 steeps. I have this on the mornings where I have limited time, as I steep it around 6-7 times. I've had it in a Gaiwan though currently using a Chaozhou pot.

2011 Yunnan Sourcing "Man Tang Hong Number 2" Ripe. A nice contrast from the 2017 YS ripe above. No wet pile taste at all, slightly smoky in a good way. I have this after dinner most weekdays. Seems to help with digestion. Brewing in a Gaiwan.
User avatar
klepto
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 pm
Location: Floridaman, USA

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:29 am

Noonie wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:45 am
I've had three Pu'ers on rotation the last couple weeks:

2017 Yunnan Sourcing "Classic" Certified Organic Ripe. I drink this every other morning in an 80's' yixing pot, usually when I have time to enjoy it and I'm not rushing anywhere...mainly because it's so smooth, sweet and enjoyable. Not overly complex, but can be steeped many times.

2015 Yiwu Sheng Tai Raw from Camellia Sinensis. It's light, with some astringency, tasty but doesn't retain it's vigor beyond 5-6 steeps. I have this on the mornings where I have limited time, as I steep it around 6-7 times. I've had it in a Gaiwan though currently using a Chaozhou pot.

2011 Yunnan Sourcing "Man Tang Hong Number 2" Ripe. A nice contrast from the 2017 YS ripe above. No wet pile taste at all, slightly smoky in a good way. I have this after dinner most weekdays. Seems to help with digestion. Brewing in a Gaiwan.
Camellia Sinesis has some interesting and older cakes. How is the quality of their tea?
.m.
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:56 am

klepto wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:29 am
Camellia Sinesis has some interesting and older cakes. How is the quality of their tea?
It's been a while since i've tried any. The price of this cake makes me wonder: 50USD/100g
https://camellia-sinensis.com/en/pu-er- ... aiwan/2381
vs. 38USD/357g
https://kingteamall.com/collections/hai ... a-ripe-tea
Obviously there is a cost to importing teas to Canada and running a store, but still the price gap is huge. And yes, storage quality and batch can play a big role, but this is shu...
User avatar
TeaTotaling
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:08 pm
Location: Ohio

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:25 pm

2008 Sheng from Bu Lang in Menghai. Thick and full bodied! A pinch of bitterness up front followed through with coating sweetness. Pretty good!
Attachments
IMG-0371.jpg
IMG-0371.jpg (219.42 KiB) Viewed 425 times
Last edited by TeaTotaling on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
pantry
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:34 am
Location: California

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:55 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:25 pm
2008 Bu Lang in Menghai. Thick and full bodied! A pinch of bitterness up front followed through with coating sweetness. Pretty good!
Image
Beautiful! Have you decided to dedicate this pot for ripe puerh, or still in the exploration stage?
User avatar
TeaTotaling
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:08 pm
Location: Ohio

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:43 pm

pantry wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:55 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:25 pm
2008 Bu Lang in Menghai. Thick and full bodied! A pinch of bitterness up front followed through with coating sweetness. Pretty good!
Image
Beautiful! Have you decided to dedicate this pot for ripe puerh, or still in the exploration stage?
Thanks @pantry! I should have specified, it's a Sheng! A rather strong infusion, but that's the way I like it. I have decided on Aged Sheng for this pot. Wonderful pairing, and working delightfully well!
Noonie
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:30 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:42 pm

klepto wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:29 am
Noonie wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:45 am
I've had three Pu'ers on rotation the last couple weeks:

2017 Yunnan Sourcing "Classic" Certified Organic Ripe. I drink this every other morning in an 80's' yixing pot, usually when I have time to enjoy it and I'm not rushing anywhere...mainly because it's so smooth, sweet and enjoyable. Not overly complex, but can be steeped many times.

2015 Yiwu Sheng Tai Raw from Camellia Sinensis. It's light, with some astringency, tasty but doesn't retain it's vigor beyond 5-6 steeps. I have this on the mornings where I have limited time, as I steep it around 6-7 times. I've had it in a Gaiwan though currently using a Chaozhou pot.

2011 Yunnan Sourcing "Man Tang Hong Number 2" Ripe. A nice contrast from the 2017 YS ripe above. No wet pile taste at all, slightly smoky in a good way. I have this after dinner most weekdays. Seems to help with digestion. Brewing in a Gaiwan.
Camellia Sinesis has some interesting and older cakes. How is the quality of their tea?
I’ve enjoyed their roasted Dong Ding, some of their Gyokuro and Sencha, and their Yancha. All are good, not stellar. But living in Canada and free shipping makes the value of most teas pretty good. And I have some of their teaware too.
polezaivsani
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:43 pm
Location: Kaliningrad, RU

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:45 am

Tea urchin's snake blend is a special tea for me. I love '13 version more, but ran out of it hence it's '14 version's turn. The resulting soup varies quite a bit depending on which leaves i end up picking and i tend to like this unpredictable nature, though i got a rather bland slice this morning, which was a bummer. It always is a bit astringent with a good sweet sensation lingering in the background. On the better days it'd taste of dried fruits, caramel and some woodiness. Less frequently the leather aroma would come through (the '13 version has more of it). And just couple sessions back i noticed how good the last steeps of it are - when the initial palate gives way to minerals and stone, but is still remains a subtle presence. Have been enjoying these last steeps a lot. Cheers!
Attachments
snake_session_s14e01.jpg
snake_session_s14e01.jpg (183.24 KiB) Viewed 329 times
Rui
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:44 am
Location: Luebeck - Germany

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:13 am

2014 Yibang gu shu mao cha from Les Thes Terre de Ciel in France. Delicious, very delicious. :D
User avatar
klepto
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 pm
Location: Floridaman, USA

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:30 am

polezaivsani wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:45 am
Tea urchin's snake blend is a special tea for me. I love '13 version more, but ran out of it hence it's '14 version's turn.
I have the 2013 spring version, its very good. It is what started me drinking sheng puerh.
Post Reply