What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
Noonie

Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:25 pm

2018 Yunnan Sourcing "Year of the Dog Blue Label" Ripe Pu'er.

I've only had Ripe Pu'er a few other times and never liked it. More of a Raw guy. However, this sample I received is really good. Smooth, cocoa, warming and no off smells or flavors. Great with and after a meal.

Teas We Like
Vendor

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:06 pm

2003 Chen Yuan Hao Manzhuan Gushu. This tea is a powerhouse. Hard to access this level of material from Manzhuan nowadays.

Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:22 pm

Drank the Naked Yiwu from @Teas We Like today. Powerful cha qi, very energetic. Made me want to write. Quite the tea -- nice and sweet, but not overly so. Definitely gonna pick up a cake.
Rui

Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:56 am

Sipping a mild and aromatic 2015 Yunnan Sourcing Autumn Ba Wai Village sheng tea grandfather style while working from home.

Stay safe.
Teas We Like
Vendor

Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:31 am

karma wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:22 pm
Drank the Naked Yiwu from Teas We Like today. Powerful cha qi, very energetic. Made me want to write. Quite the tea -- nice and sweet, but not overly so. Definitely gonna pick up a cake.
Happy you enjoyed it, I should make some again soon.
Balthazar

Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:35 am

Been enjoying some early 2000s Xiaguan Tibetan Mushroom today.

I've mentioned it before, only have two mushrooms left now, which will probably be consumed before the summer's arrival. It's every bit as enjoyable as I remembered it.

As others have mentioned on this forum and elsewhere, one of the few good things about the current COVID-situation (I'm furloughed for the time being, but privileged enough to live in a country with a fairly strong safety-net) is the ability to do gongfu cha every day. So I'm taking the opportunity to burn through the best stuff in my stash (which is minuscule compared to many others'), without any hesitance.

I also just pulled the trigger and ordered a cake of EoT's recent addition, the 2001 Mengsa Old Tree Tea. Couldn't resist the temptation. Seems like one hell of a deal, if it's half as good a bargain as David makes it seem I hope there's any left to be had once I've had a taste. Anyone else ordered this?
pantry

Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:15 pm

Balthazar wrote:
I also just pulled the trigger and ordered a cake of EoT's recent addition, the 2001 Mengsa Old Tree Tea. Couldn't resist the temptation. Seems like one hell of a deal, if it's half as good a bargain as David makes it seem I hope there's any left to be had once I've had a taste. Anyone else ordered this?
I'm very tempted. Would very much like to order one, but also want to curb my spending. I'm also taking the stay-at-home opportunity to drink more of my better tea. Enjoying Wistaria's Zi Yun '04 today.
oolongfan

Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:32 am

Balthazar wrote:
I just ordered a cake of EOT's 2001 Mengsa Old Tree Tea as well. Glad to see that I am in good company! Like you, I could not resist the temptation for the same reason. I am back logged on posting tasting notes, but will post my tasting notes once I get this one :) Would love to hear your feedback after you have tasted it as well. Not sure how much is in stock..and at that price, probably will not last long. This further justifies my pruchasing a cake without having tasted it ;)
Balthazar

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:10 am

oolongfan wrote:
I am back logged on posting tasting notes, but will post my tasting notes once I get this one :) Would love to hear your feedback after you have tasted it as well.
I'll definitely post my impressions here once I've had the chance to try it. Good to know that I am not the only one whose impulse-control was challenged by that tea!

And good on you, @pantry, for exercising self-discipline :)

Right now I'm drinking Farmerleaf's "2019 Jingmai Gushu Yellow Flakes". I started my afternoon session later than normal today, so anything stronger than huangpian would have been likely to adversely influence my sleep. Like most people, I don't find huangpian all that exiting, but they definitely have their place. This one (like most huangpian) is simple, sweet, slightly nutty and seemingly lasts forever.

I actually received this cake back in January, when we were in China for spring festival. Then came the quarantine, and I decided to open up the cake and start chipping away. (It actually didn't work well at all for grandpa-style, which is pretty much the only style I do when we're in China. I rarely find (young) huangpian to work well with grandpa style unless the tea undergoes a couple of flash-brews first). The cake then accompanied us back to Norway. After a few "normal" weeks, I'm now drinking it under quarantine here.

mrmopu

Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:54 pm

oolongfan wrote:
Balthazar wrote:
I just ordered a cake of EOT's 2001 Mengsa Old Tree Tea as well. Glad to see that I am in good company! Like you, I could not resist the temptation for the same reason. I am back logged on posting tasting notes, but will post my tasting notes once I get this one :) Would love to hear your feedback after you have tasted it as well. Not sure how much is in stock..and at that price, probably will not last long. This further justifies my purchasing a cake without having tasted it ;)
Add me to the same list. I got the 2003 Zhang Xiang as well.
oolongfan

Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:08 pm

mrmopu wrote:
Let me know how the 2003 Zhang Xiang is. I couldn't swing it budget wise right now but it sounded interesting and nicely priced.
pantry

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:25 pm

Started a great session with a young Autumn Wangong today from YMT. Wonderful aroma with an intense wild honey taste from the get go. Unfortunately my session was interrupted, and it wasn't the same after the leaves had been left in the pot for several hours...

@Balthazar Not that well. It was only because I already spent a whole bunch on other tea shopping that I'm running out of tea fund when EoT announced the tea. Please report when you get to taste it, but by that time it might be sold out :?
mrmopu

Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:28 am

oolongfan wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:08 pm
mrmopu wrote:
Let me know how the 2003 Zhang Xiang is. I couldn't swing it budget wise right now but it sounded interesting and nicely priced.
Will do. I just have to wait on the shipping. I also want to get a Rustic ZhongCha from Teas We like sometime this year too It looked interesting to me as well.
Balthazar

Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:13 am

Feeling a bit under the weather today, and on such days I naturally gravitate towards ripe. Currently on the seventh cup of "2003 Qi Zi Bing Cha" (possibly/probably CNNP). I have about 1/3 left of this cake, which I bought from KL Wong of TeaPals (he has written about this tea here).

It's a one of the cleanest tasting ripe puer's I can remember to have had, with no wodui taste (I personally don't mind a bit of wodui, as long as it's not totally dominating). A straightforward and simple tea, the only (small) minus I can find is that it's slightly thin, which is probably due to the fact that it spent most of it's life in drier areas of China before moving to Malaysia a couple of years ago. But overall it's a great daily drinker. I might pick up a few more cakes for the next winter.
iGo

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:39 pm

Can anyone ID this shou cake?
C270D305-ABC8-4E47-8CB3-C1D8A6C56E3E.jpeg
C270D305-ABC8-4E47-8CB3-C1D8A6C56E3E.jpeg (369.64 KiB) Viewed 6184 times