What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
VoirenTea

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:25 pm

2007 Dayi Silver Peacock from King Tea Mall.

This one has some leftover smoke/acrid edge left. Huigan. The cooling and aftertaste build up - they are not as immediately evident as some of the other teas I've had recently. I liked this a lot better in later steeps when the edge had faded and I could enjoy the rest - this probably means it is not a tea for me! (Some edges I like, but smoky is almost always not one of those).
debunix

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:44 am

2015 Gao Jia Shan "Cha Duo Tang" Wild Harvested Hunan Fu Brick Tea/Shou Puerh from Yunnan Sourcing. It has more camphor and less plummy notes vs the Norbu Lao Cha Tou nuggets I was just brewing, but still, tasty and good for a low-attention need-to-hydrate afternoon and evening in the office.
Noonie

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:16 pm

2017 Planet Jinggu raw pu'er from Crimson Lotus. It's my first time trying a compressed ball of tea (8g). I followed Glen's instructions on how to open the ball up before brewing to drink. It worked well. I like how in the first 5 or so infusions you get varying strength of flavour as the core starts to open up and the surrounding leaves more so. Nice diversity in flavour.

For pu'er I've mainly been alternating between a 2005 and 2012, so I haven't had something more recent for a while. I've heard it can be hard on the stomach, but I figure that having some here and there should be completely fine. I do like that fresh taste you get with a newer raw pu'er...yummy.
VoirenTea

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Danggui 2009 Yiwu Gushu from Yiwu Mountain Tea.

The wet leaves are warm-smelling (which was the best description I could think of!)

It was nice to drink, has a long cooling feel and seems to have a tiny bit of the coppery tip of tongue taste I've had from newer YMT teas.

I was still tidying the living room at quarter past midnight after my first session with this, take that as you will! It seems to have some oomph still... I don't usually get very affected by that sort of thing. No problem sleeping afterwards though.
Stephen

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:46 pm

It's a Bulang type of day. Started with 2012 Ming Sheng Hao Bulang shu and now onto 2000 CNNP Zhang Xiang Bulang sheng. Both brewing up nicely. Lots of time to drink tea these days!
Attachments
IMG_20200323_114243.jpg
IMG_20200323_114243.jpg (226.14 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
vuanguyen

Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:43 pm

Drinking Sheng cha from Vietnam!

I did not know that my home country (Vietnam) produces wild puer teas until I read an article written by Geoff Norman of the Lazy Literatus (https://lazyliteratus.teatra.de/sheng-p ... m-vietnam/). Camellia sinensis assamica grow wildly in Northern Vietnam. Most people in Vietnam do not drink Puer teas. They drinks green teas. Puers are not popular. Hence, the majority of these teas are sold in China as Chinese puer teas.

I bought some 50gm packages and they came last week. These teas were quite tasty. One in particular, Snow Princess Dark Tea, has a sugarcane taste and sweetness that is very similar to Hojo's Wu Liang Shan Raw Puerh Tea 2015. I did a blind tasting test and my wife could not distinguish between the two teas.

Another interesting read by Geoff Norman about sheng cha and heicha: https://lazyliteratus.teatra.de/sheng-cha-heicha/
This guy is pretty knowledgeable about teas. I wonder if he is a member of this forum.
Noonie

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:44 pm

@Stephen love that photo, it's like you have the family lined up for their annual photo
Noonie

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:49 pm

vuanguyen wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:43 pm
Drinking Sheng cha from Vietnam!

I did not know that my home country (Vietnam) produces wild puer teas until I read an article written by Geoff Norman of the Lazy Literatus (https://lazyliteratus.teatra.de/sheng-p ... m-vietnam/). Camellia sinensis assamica grow wildly in Northern Vietnam. Most people in Vietnam do not drink Puer teas. They drinks green teas. Puers are not popular. Hence, the majority of these teas are sold in China as Chinese puer teas.

I bought some 50gm packages and they came last week. These teas were quite tasty. One in particular, Snow Princess Dark Tea, has a sugarcane taste and sweetness that is very similar to Hojo's Wu Liang Shan Raw Puerh Tea 2015. I did a blind tasting test and my wife could not distinguish between the two teas.

Another interesting read by Geoff Norman about sheng cha and heicha: https://lazyliteratus.teatra.de/sheng-cha-heicha/
This guy is pretty knowledgeable about teas. I wonder if he is a member of this forum.
Last few days I've been reading the book Puer Tea Ancient Caravans and Urban Chic by Jinghong Zhang...just finished chapter 3 that talks about Puer tea being associated with the place vs. the assamica leaf and where it's grown; I can see why some wouldn't know that 'puer' tea exists in places other than the typical areas.
Stephen

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:46 am

@Noonie haha. thanks! lots of teapots in use with our "stay at home" order here in california
Noonie

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:08 pm

Stephen wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:46 am
Noonie haha. thanks! lots of teapots in use with our "stay at home" order here in california
Yes I think here in Canada (Ontario) we're a bit lighter on the quarantine policy at the moment (more about social distancing), but I've mainly been home and definitely more involved with tea and other interests then before. While nothing is positive about this whole virus pandemic (other than lower emissions and lessons learned for future), I try and look for the positives in any situation and more time to be mindful, enjoy tea, time with family, etc., are but a few.
vuanguyen

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Noonie wrote:
Last few days I've been reading the book Puer Tea Ancient Caravans and Urban Chic by Jinghong Zhang...just finished chapter 3 that talks about Puer tea being associated with the place vs. the assamica leaf and where it's grown; I can see why some wouldn't know that 'puer' tea exists in places other than the typical areas.
Sound like those 2 books are good books to read about Puer teas. I will order them from Amazon. Thanks @Noonie.
Noonie

Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:57 am

vuanguyen wrote:
Noonie wrote:
Sound like those 2 books are good books to read about Puer teas. I will order them from Amazon. Thanks Noonie.
Hi @vuanguyen that’s one book actually.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:46 am

Noonie wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:57 am
vuanguyen wrote:
Noonie wrote:
Sound like those 2 books are good books to read about Puer teas. I will order them from Amazon. Thanks Noonie.
Hi vuanguyen that’s one book actually.
I quite liked this book as well, pretty interesting. It's more of an essay though I think. Read it in a couple of hours.
.m.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:36 pm

vuanguyen wrote:
Noonie wrote:
Keep in mind the book is not primarily a book on puerh tea, nor a book written by an expert on puerh, but a sociological study of the puerh boom in early 2000's, culminating with the market crash of autumn 2007. Nevertheless, there's some interesting facts and stories to be found there.
VoirenTea

Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:50 pm

2007 Dayi Gong Ting Qing Bing from King Tea Mall

Eh, not sure. It has an old smoke/acrid/leftover astringent edge that easily overwhelms everything else. If you deliberately brew lighter you get something sweeter with a late huigan and lasting cooling mouthfeel, but it didn't really stand out. (The 2006 was the one with rave reviews, which I have not tried).

2007 CNNP 8891 Red Label from YS

Enjoyed this - the wet leaves smell smoky, but a dark smoky raisin smell - deep, rounded and sweetish. Smooth drinking, nothing astringent going on. Very nice.