What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
Stephen

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm

.m. wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:19 pm
It looks like the "french tuo" ripe from xiaguan tea factory. Around 2005 (EDIT: earlier on some teas, on other around 2003 ... ???) Xiaguan switched to the crane logo on their wrapper papers, so it shouldnt be younger than that.*
For comparison:
https://www.jkteashop.com/xiaguan-tea-p-938.html
http://store.thechineseteashop.com/Pu_E ... ubt-90.htm
http://www.puercn.com/pin/2647

*unless fake :lol:
Thanks for the info and link! I thought I read that the logo switch happened earlier, like in the 90's? I might be remembering that wrong and I only have a little experience with Xiaguan. So it sounds like this could be authentic?

The main issue is that it doesn't really taste like a normal shu puer, again it tastes more like a Tibetan Kang brick tea, but with a darker brew. It also has lots of sticks, twigs and ugly leaves under the surface. I don't have a similar Xiaguan to compare it to however.
.m.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:41 am

Stephen wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 pm
.m. wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:19 pm
It looks like the "french tuo" ripe from xiaguan tea factory. Around 2005 (EDIT: earlier on some teas, on other around 2003 ... ???) Xiaguan switched to the crane logo on their wrapper papers, so it shouldnt be younger than that.*
For comparison:
https://www.jkteashop.com/xiaguan-tea-p-938.html
http://store.thechineseteashop.com/Pu_E ... ubt-90.htm
http://www.puercn.com/pin/2647

*unless fake :lol:
Thanks for the info and link! I thought I read that the logo switch happened earlier, like in the 90's? I might be remembering that wrong and I only have a little experience with Xiaguan. So it sounds like this could be authentic?

The main issue is that it doesn't really taste like a normal shu puer, again it tastes more like a Tibetan Kang brick tea, but with a darker brew. It also has lots of sticks, twigs and ugly leaves under the surface. I don't have a similar Xiaguan to compare it to however.
I think the crane logo has been in use since 1992, http://www.xgtea.com/xgtea_e/zjxge.aspx?id=413 , e.g on the green box tuocha, but the cnnp sign stayed on the wrapper for some time: maybe until late 90s on the green box tuo (?), and until 2003 on the "french" shu (?) as well as on the classic cakes (?). But take this with a big grain of salt.

Lot of twigs doesn't sound right to me, but i'm no expert. I often see newer batches around chinatown groceries for a few $.
For comparison: https://teadb.org/xiao-fa-tuo/
Henk

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:55 am

I'm drinking a single tree puer from Hojo. Very nice taste. I bough only one bag last year as it wasn't that cheap but now the bag is nearly gone I f
ind myself wondering what it'd be like in a few years time. (I just recently brewed up some of his WuLiang Shan in a clay pot and was surprised at how much 'depth' it had gained since 2016)
Stephen

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:08 pm

.m. wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:41 am
I think the crane logo has been in use since 1992, http://www.xgtea.com/xgtea_e/zjxge.aspx?id=413 , e.g on the green box tuocha, but the cnnp sign stayed on the wrapper for some time: maybe until late 90s on the green box tuo (?), and until 2003 on the "french" shu (?) as well as on the classic cakes (?). But take this with a big grain of salt.

Lot of twigs doesn't sound right to me, but i'm no expert. I often see newer batches around chinatown groceries for a few $.
For comparison: https://teadb.org/xiao-fa-tuo/
Great info. Thanks.
AustralianBronze
New user

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:29 pm

Hello.

I'm not sure where to post this but have a couple of questions.

I really like simple green tea and drink it mostly everyday, but apart from that have very little knowledge on the subject. I was given a selection package of teas as gift from a tea shop her in Melbourne Australia and one of them was Pu'er.

Whilst they were all nice taste and calming wise I couldn't help that the. pu'er had an almost euphoric feel (for want of a better word). I do brew my tea quite strong but this had a noticeable effect. The next day I had another and it was similar. A bit dizzy and a confident rush went through me.

Is this normal, and what is the best way to experience these feelings brew wise? I'm not sure if you can eat the dried leaves as I sometimes sprinkle green tea on certain things.

But yeah, great tea and recommendations and methods are welcome.

Cheers.

Max.
mudandleaves
Vendor

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:14 am

AustralianBronze wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:29 pm
Hello.

I'm not sure where to post this but have a couple of questions.

I really like simple green tea and drink it mostly everyday, but apart from that have very little knowledge on the subject. I was given a selection package of teas as gift from a tea shop her in Melbourne Australia and one of them was Pu'er.

Whilst they were all nice taste and calming wise I couldn't help that the. pu'er had an almost euphoric feel (for want of a better word). I do brew my tea quite strong but this had a noticeable effect. The next day I had another and it was similar. A bit dizzy and a confident rush went through me.

Is this normal, and what is the best way to experience these feelings brew wise? I'm not sure if you can eat the dried leaves as I sometimes sprinkle green tea on certain things.

But yeah, great tea and recommendations and methods are welcome.

Cheers.

Max.
Sounds like you were tea drunk. Drinking a lot of tea or strong tea or both, especially on an empty stomach, will give you this feeling. There are undesirable effects as well.
Last edited by mudandleaves on Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudandleaves
Vendor

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:37 am

I am drinking Long Pa Gushu Sheng Puer from Tianming Tea Factory. The tea is from Spring 2015 and was picked in the Long Pa 龙怕 Tea Garden in You Le Mountain 攸乐山. The tea trees in this garden are 150 + years old. The tea has a nice fragrance (almost like a dark roast tieguanyin), a full body; it is very smooth with some minerality, vegetal bitterness, followed by a really nice and long-lasting sweet aftertaste.
IMG_8769.jpg
IMG_8769.jpg (167.36 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
AustralianBronze
New user

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:54 pm

[/quote]

Sounds like you were tea drunk. Drinking a lot of tea or strong tea or both, especially on an empty stomach, will give you this feeling. There are undesirable effects as well.
[/quote]
That's interesting. I'd heard of tea-drunkeness before but for some reason thought it was associated with oolong.

It's definitely a noticeable rush, different to coffee. What are the undesirable effects?
Rui

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:11 am

Sipping a very nice 2017 Hai Lang Hao Chu Jian Gua Feng Zhai sheng from Yunnan Sourcing. Unfortunately it was just a sample and it is now coming to an end.
There is no self

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:44 pm

AustralianBronze wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:54 pm

That's interesting. I'd heard of tea-drunkeness before but for some reason thought it was associated with oolong.

It's definitely a noticeable rush, different to coffee. What are the undesirable effects?
The dizziness may worsen, or develop into a headache. Stomachache is a possibility, especially on an empty stomach. People sensitive to caffeine might experience something akin to a racing heart, or straight out tachycardia.
Keep in mind that these effects are not at all common when drinking pu'er. Tea drunkenness itself is rare and, in my experience, largely depends on the individual.
oolongfan

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:06 pm

The effects of caffeine can be very individual, especially if you suffer from adrenal problems (low or high cortisol levela). I have elevated cortisol , especially between 4-6pm, so I tend to drink the younger higher caffeine teas earlier in the day, ending with an aged tea. If you experience tachycardia after drinking a reasonable amount of tea, My husband had congestive heart falure with enlarged lower lower chambers. Sometimes he experiences tachycardia after drinking coffee, especialy on an empty stomache.
oolongfan

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Norbu
2014 Norbu White Buds - Lovely wildflower, cammomile, unsweetned fortune cookie, parchment with a wonderful min and evergreen note on the back that gives a nice balance. This tea really belongs in its own catagory I think and is one of my favorite bargains that drinks far above the price.

2004 Ye Sheng Wild Tea Log - Another tea that is individual and like no other. There is an herbal lemon tea quality up front, followed by Lemon Drop Candy with a pine camphor type note underneath. I like brewing this in my Duan Ni teapot from Elliott at Something Smuggle in....the clay tames the herbal lemon note, allaowing me to taste the other flavors.
-------
Norbu is one of my favorite vendors, especially since Greg has some really unique tea that I have never seen anywhere else. Norbu was my first introduction to oolong....and contiues to be a source of discovery.

More notes coming.
Last edited by oolongfan on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oolongfan

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:36 pm

White2Tea

Sheng
2015 Milk, Cream, Alcohol - Thanks to CWarren's lovely tasting notes & photos as they inspired me to to try this. This reminds me of Apricot brandy as there is deep rich apricot flavors balanced by a lovely astrigent bitterness that seems to catch in the throat, reminding me of spirits. The last few brews become slightly softer and smoother with honey coming out. This tea drinks far above its price -an absolute steal.

2007 Classic Mushroom - Smooth straw, parchment at first, followed by soft wildflower with subtle mint underneath. A lovely tea, especially for the price, but it paled in comparison (for me) to the next tea.

2016 Heart of the City - Deep powerful slightly fermented fruit notes that reminded me of an Ethiopian Dry process coffee meets Fruity Pebbles Cereal milk note (sounds weird but it really worked). Fruits evolve into yellow plums, apricots, and honey, I brewed this in a 40 ml high fired Hongni Teapot which amplified the astringent bitterness. Literally first a powerful wave of fruit and honey sweetness, followed by a mouth puckering astringency....a really incredible journey. The next time I brewed it in a 115 ml med-high fired Duan Ni which tamed the astringency a lot...now it was a far more fruit and honeyforward with astringency more balanced. I was amazed at the different facets this tea revealed in such different teapots. This tea blew me away. Lovely tea perfume dry and brewed.

White Tea
2018 Turtle Dove - This was a mystery sample included in my order. This had an incredible tea perfume which tranlsated into an oolong-white tea note in the cup. I almost thought that this was an oolong style pu'erh because it has such depth and power and perfumed oolong tea notes on the palate. I have not given white tea too much though..this tea inspires me to explore more white tea.
---------
White2Tea has a very distinct house style to me based on what I have tasted thus far. The tea blends have a very individual character yet are quite distinguished in style from other producers., bearing a hard to describe signature that ties otherwise very different blends.
oolongfan

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Essence of Tea

Sheng
2000 Camphor Aroma - Recommended as somewhat similar to the lovely but sold out Green Peacock. A fabelous suggestion. Lovely intense camphor, smoke-forest floor, parchment, straw, dried unsweetnened apricot and faint honey notes. The first few brews are very powerful so much so that it is easy to overbrew. Very powerful despite the age. This is fairly similar to Green Peacock mayble slightly less dimensional and balanced but a fabelous substitute for thos who missed out on the Green Peacock. One of my favorites.

2018 EOT Wuliang Wild - A very refined delicate yet powerful tea, becoming more powerful and dimensional each succesive brew. Narcissus,slightly floral note, orange blossom, marmalade, honey, and some msyterious note that reminds me of powdered slightly greasy dough. The body becomes thicker and more glycerine like each brew. This is one of the most intriguing hard to describe teas that I have ever tasted. This is another favorite. My sister calls this 'Redneck Tea' because I made the mistke of telling her about the powdered dough flavor ;)

2018 EOT YiWu - This was a sample included in my order. Similar to the Wuliang at first minus the powdered dough element..lovely orange blossom, Narcissus, floral note, marmalade...a lovely balancing bitter gardenia notes sneaks in and out subsequant brews..especially with more leaves in the pot. This doesn't have the glycerol quality of the Wuliang but seems to have a little more depth because of the slight bittering gardenia note. I am going to have to order a cake of this!
-------
Essence of Tea has a wonderful refined yet profound style. I love the array of tea, from young to aged. The quality and refinement are incredible. The staff are very helpful with suggestions...I strongly recommend reaching out to them with questons or suggestions.
debunix

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:17 am

oolongfan wrote:
Norbu
2014 Norbu White Buds - Lovely wildflower, cammomile, unsweetned fortune cookie, parchment with a wonderful min and evergreen note on the back that gives a nice balance.
I loved his 2007 white bud sheng, and bought several cakes; and have one of the 2011 as well. I first appreciated the smoky earthy notes, then after a few infusions, the floral, sweet, and herbaceous notes. I went through a period of being less interested in it when the smoky was fading, but am not sure how much of that was the tea aging vs me moving on to other things. Recently I have moved it back into the regular rotation, and am back to enjoying the various floral and herbaceous and earthy notes. It does not seem like one for long aging, however, although some of mine will likely be around for many years simply because I bought so much at one time.
oolongfan wrote:
2004 Ye Sheng Wild Tea Log - Another tea that is individual and like no other. There is an herbal lemon tea quality up front, followed by Lemon Drop Candy with a pine camphor type note underneath. I like brewing this in my Duan Ni teapot from Elliott at Something Smuggle in....the clay tames the herbal lemon note, allaowing me to taste the other flavors.
I love that lemony brightness in this one; it is the only C sinensis I've had with such a lovely citrus note. It doesn't last through many infusions, but it is a wonderful change of pace when I brew it up.

Now I want to drink some of it but I have to check out the giant brick from YS first.