Puer identification

Puerh and other heicha
Ludovitche

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:50 am

Hi,

If anyone could help me with the identification of a few puer teas, it would be awesome.
The first tea I'd like to ask about is a gift I received, and I will probably want to buy more - but I didn't find where to buy it.

I've tried orange puer from quite a few vendors such as W2T, YS, Teasenz... and hated every single one of them. Not that they are bad teas, they just don't suit my personal taste.

I do however love this tea, it is perfect for me :
IMG_20191013_104247.jpg
IMG_20191013_104247.jpg (192.3 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
Would anybody know anything about this tea ?
Should I find a taobao agent or something to ask this question ?
Do you have high end orange tea to advise ?
I mean by that tea inside an orange (and not that "gold horse" brand)
IMG_20191013_103948.jpg
IMG_20191013_103948.jpg (239.96 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
I'm a newbie, I don't even know where to ask...
And I will have more teas to identify soon.

JN
Ludovitche

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:47 pm

Second unrelated identification request : a friend has puerh he doesn't drink, (wrapped in plastic in an apartment in Thailand).
I'd be interested to buy but he doesn't remember any relevant information about the tea, and he won't let me sample his cakes.

The idea is to guess a rough price, to see if I'm ready to take the risk or not.

On one hand it smells like a ripe (I think, I'm a newbie), and I usually won't spend much money on ripe (I made some exceptions, like Crimson Lotus' Nanuo mushroom, but... still).
On the other hand, it's at least 10 years old, probably 5 more, and the smell is very sweet, so I'm tempted to take a risk.

Does anybody have any idea what that tea could be ?
IMG_20190714_183717.jpg
IMG_20190714_183717.jpg (329.38 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
Stephen

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:43 am

I can't help identify those teas. I can say that Yunnan sourcing may be the western vendor with the largest selection of pu er in aged citrus peel, although you mentioned not liking their selection. Another option is to get aged citrus peel (chen pi 陈皮) and brew it with pu er you like. I might also suggest to try brewing it by removing some of the tea from the citrus peel and brewing it with pieces of the outer peel. Regarding the other cake, it's hard to judge a tea without brewing it. If you can't try it then maybe only buy if it's cheap, you trust your friend, or you want to help your friend out. There are so many good shu (ripe) pu er teas that you can sample from vendors like yunnan sourcing, chawangshop, teaside, etc. Teaside is in Thailand by the way and has some good tea. Hope that helps.
Ludovitche

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:26 pm

Thank you for the answer.
I know and love all these vendors, and I'm fine with their regular puer - I just happen to be quite specific about orange tea.

Actually I can live without orange tea, but it allows me to drink with people who don't appreciate puer - and to have some diversity in what I drink.

Message in a bottle, just in case I stumbled upon a legendary ripe :D
Elise

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:43 am

@Ludovitche; the first tea you post says 小青柑 Xiǎo qīng gān, which means « little green tangerine ». I can’t read all the characters because of the quality of your picture, maybe you can post a better one.

I’ve tried some of these citrus tea from Yunnan Sourcing but I don’t think it was high end quality. I would say that high end tea has very little chance to end inside of a fruit that would alter the original high-end-tea taste...

Concerning the second cake, it’s a ripe puerh (written in red on the cake), I can’t tell anything more about it. But I wouldn’t pay a high price for an non-tastable ripe puerh cake aged in uncertain conditions.
DailyTX

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Ludovitche wrote:
Second unrelated identification request : a friend has puerh he doesn't drink, (wrapped in plastic in an apartment in Thailand).
I'd be interested to buy but he doesn't remember any relevant information about the tea, and he won't let me sample his cakes.

The idea is to guess a rough price, to see if I'm ready to take the risk or not.

On one hand it smells like a ripe (I think, I'm a newbie), and I usually won't spend much money on ripe (I made some exceptions, like Crimson Lotus' Nanuo mushroom, but... still).
On the other hand, it's at least 10 years old, probably 5 more, and the smell is very sweet, so I'm tempted to take a risk.

@Ludovitche
This maybe the company who made that cake. You can examine the cake to see the date. Based on the stamp, it should be after 2008. Good luck
http://www.ljypt.com/index.php?case=arc ... how&aid=41
Ludovitche

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:09 am

Elise wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:43 am
Ludovitche; the first tea you post says 小青柑 Xiǎo qīng gān, which means « little green tangerine ». I can’t read all the characters because of the quality of your picture, maybe you can post a better one.

I’ve tried some of these citrus tea from Yunnan Sourcing but I don’t think it was high end quality. I would say that high end tea has very little chance to end inside of a fruit that would alter the original high-end-tea taste...

Concerning the second cake, it’s a ripe puerh (written in red on the cake), I can’t tell anything more about it. But I wouldn’t pay a high price for an non-tastable ripe puerh cake aged in uncertain conditions.
Thank you for your help

For the orange tea, here are better pictures :
IMG_20191025_185621.jpg
IMG_20191025_185621.jpg (215.69 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
IMG_20191025_185552.jpg
IMG_20191025_185552.jpg (302.1 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
Even if I ignore the tea quality, it seems to me that my mystery tea uses better oranges too.
The first water is pure clear orange soup, no tea yet, and it already tastes yummy...

Thanks !
Ludovitche

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:15 am

DailyTX wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:30 pm
Ludovitche wrote:

Ludovitche
This maybe the company who made that cake. You can examine the cake to see the date. Based on the stamp, it should be after 2008. Good luck
http://www.ljypt.com/index.php?case=arc ... how&aid=41
Wow, you found it, I'm impressed !
I did try, before posting here (can't read or write Chinese though)

I don't think I will buy it.

Thank you very much for your help !