Tong-worthy teas

Puerh and other heicha
dfo

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:07 am

What are your tong-worthy teas? Which teas have you been such a fan of that you purchased by the tong, or strongly considered doing so?
pedant
Admin

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:11 pm

i'm inexperienced with puerh, but i have tonged, in chronological order:

2007 Yibang Cha Ma Si “Mansa Wild”
this was a tea from one of toby's curated box things. tasty with a distinctive animal musk aroma (like ferrets).
it wasn't that expensive, and it's a nice daily drinker. something i've come to notice that i don't like about it is it makes me feel kind of edgy sometimes. it's subtle though.

2001 TWL Zhongcha Huangyin
good, relaxing, easy drinking tea. nice lingering sweetness.

2007 YQH Huangshan Lingya
my most recent tong. all around good yqh tea. sweet, herbacious, i think pretty universally liked.

for me, circumstance plays a big role in tonging. opportunities sometimes just pop up, and it seems like a good idea.
i don't regret any of them so far, but it's good to slow down and not jump on every 'deal' that comes your way. especially when you're new.
even if a cake is a sample, a tong definitely isn't.
i'm realizing that it takes a long time to learn about what i like with puerh.
lopin

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:59 am

i have only xiaguan jiaji and teji tuo packs from 2007 and dayi v93 tuos from 2015. Considering buying mengku king arbor 2010 tong. and also some xiaguan cheaper tongs for long storage
Ken

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:32 am

I have a bunch of tongs from: YS, Bannacha, Dayi, Xiaguan, Liming, Mengku, … and …loads of tuos, mainly Xiaguan back to the 90s. Anyway, that selection is based on my individual preferences and don't necessarily mean anything to anyone else … 'One man's nectar … '. However, I've got some friends who like most of my teas just as well and should my preferences ever change they'd happily aquire some of my aged leaves - win, win :D
teasecret

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:51 pm

I have not tonged anything, but I have gotten multiple cakes of the 2003 YS Mengsong Qiao Mu Iron Cake. It's great and great value. That one comes in a paper tong though!
I have also considered CLT Daydream because it's good price/quality ratio, and the energy/taste was spot on for me.

Edit: JK, I've gotten a few tongs! Flapjacks, smoove cocoa minis....... :P
tingjunkie

Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:14 pm

teasecret wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:51 pm
I have not tonged anything, but I have gotten multiple cakes of the 2003 YS Mengsong Qiao Mu Iron Cake. It's great and great value. That one comes in a paper tong though!
I have also considered CLT Daydream because it's good price/quality ratio, and the energy/taste was spot on for me.

Edit: JK, I've gotten a few tongs! Flapjacks, smoove cocoa minis....... :P
Too funny, I just bought a tong of the Qiao Mu myself. Nice clean humid storage, thick mouthfeel, complex aromas in the faircup, and in my estimation the Qi feels like there is plenty of old arbor material in there- comforting and meditative. The tea really opens up past the 2nd infusion. For $0.15/g I can't imagine finding a better aged sheng "daily drinker."

The only other tong I ever bought was Tea Urchin's 2012 Zhang Jia Wan. Amazing tea for the price. There are lots of tong-worthy teas out there, but I do not have a tong-worthy bank account. :D
mrmopu

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:50 pm

I guess I could add a couple.
2011 Menghai Golden Phoenix.
2011 Menghai 100 year shou.
2013 YS Qing Mei Shan. Autumn but very nice.
2004 Hai Lang Hao Ba Ma Gong Chun
2015 Pin White2Tea
2016 Tea Don't Lie White2Tea
2014 BuLang tribute Crimson Lotus
Phatty cake Mandala tea
swordofmytriumph

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:10 am

White Crow shomei white tea from Bitterleaf. I would have bought a tong if I had the money, most I could justify getting was three cakes. Considering that I've never bought more than one cake of any kind of tea before that's pretty impressive.