What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
mbanu

Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 pm

mbanu wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 pm
Also it says something under the tea character besides "Zhongcha Brand".
That something being "勐海普洱茶" or "Menghai Pu'er Tea". This wouldn't seem like it would be useful, except for the fact that this phrase isn't normally printed on the front wrapper. So a tea with a yellow tea-character on the front with "Menghai Pu'er Tea" printed underneath, in Traditional Chinese characters using the old-style 80s English font, no QS or SC code, and an embedded ticket with a yellow mark that says 勐海出品 or "Product of (maybe produced by) Menghai". I don't know what that tea is, but I'm sure that there are enough things it isn't that someone out there could help you narrow it down. :D
belewfripp

Wed May 05, 2021 6:40 am

mbanu wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 pm
mbanu wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 pm
Also it says something under the tea character besides "Zhongcha Brand".
That something being "勐海普洱茶" or "Menghai Pu'er Tea". This wouldn't seem like it would be useful, except for the fact that this phrase isn't normally printed on the front wrapper. So a tea with a yellow tea-character on the front with "Menghai Pu'er Tea" printed underneath, in Traditional Chinese characters using the old-style 80s English font, no QS or SC code, and an embedded ticket with a yellow mark that says 勐海出品 or "Product of (maybe produced by) Menghai". I don't know what that tea is, but I'm sure that there are enough things it isn't that someone out there could help you narrow it down. :D
To my somewhat-ignorant eyes it would appear to be a replication/commemoration of the "Big Yellow Mark" teas originally produced in the 90's (also 80's? I don't know the timeline for this production). The actual thing doesn't, to my knowledge, have any of the pinyin or English writing on it and the Chinese characters are in a larger font (see here for a putative specimen). I'm not sure when Menghai Tea Factory (aka Dayi/Taetea) began producing this specific homage but I believe that is the general intent.

I'll leave it to someone more knowledgeable than I to fill in the rest of the blanks.

EDIT:

Text from the link i posted indicates the original original for the "Big Yellow Mark" is actually from the 1970's:
This Da Huang Yin (Grand Yellow Mark) Iron Mold tea cake has been stored in Guangdong province in natural storage warehouse since mid-1990's. This is a special edition of the famous Da Huang Yin cake from the 1970s by China Native Products Imp. Exp. (CNNP) in Yunnan Province.

The tea cake mainly uses medium/big arbor tree leaves in its recipe, which gives it a strong "Qi". It provides a clear, dark reddish-brown liquor when brewed. The woody, sweet taste of the tea gives one a very comfortable, yet stimulating mouth-feel.