SHINCHA 2019!

Non-oxidized tea
Chip
Admin

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:15 am

Insider News Flash.

According to Kevin at O-Cha, Kyushu (includes Kagoshima) shincha is a bit early this year! That is great news to me since I am out of looseleaf Japanese green.

So, Sae Midori will be tasted in a couple days. If approved, he would possibly have them bagged and ready to ship possibly later this week! I am extrapolating a bit.

He did not mention Yutaka Midori which is generally a bit later.

Shizouka and Uji are running a bit late this year. Looking like May 1st at the earliest.

Biggest news, as part of O-Cha's 20th anniversary celebration, they will be releasing a very special edition Sae Midori. Look for news on this any day. He seems genuinely excited about this one! Once it is gone, it is gone!
Victoria
Admin

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Very exciting news @Chip thanks for update. His limited editions are really very special.
Chip
Admin

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:19 am

Further O-Cha update ... both Sae Midori and Yutaka Midori could both be ready to ship in 2-3 days ...

The 20th Anniversary Special Edition Sae Midori ... should be pretty soon as well. I'll post as soon as I hear anything from Kevin. But keep an eye on their site as well since he might get too busy to let me know.
Chip
Admin

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Ippodo. I checked both the Kyoto and USA sites and determined to preorder from Kyoto to expedite delivery. It would be cheaper likely even with EMS shipping vs having it shipped from NY.

So I thought I was on the Kyoto site and ordered the shincha sencha, seemed a bit odd as I was doing it, paid for it ... then realized I was on the USA site ... so I am a bit bummed.
Chip
Admin

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Maiko ... it seems everything is really cheap, much more cheap than I am recalling.

I was not thrilled with the Kinari 2017 shincha, but after I amped it up it was ok.

I decided not to order from Maiko last shincha, 2018.

It is mostly a sentimental thing going way back in the early teachat days with friends I made there, most notably Iannon who died suddenly at 43 (I think).

Just think I should pass on Maiko ...
Victoria
Admin

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Chip wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:36 pm
Ippodo. I checked both the Kyoto and USA sites and determined to preorder from Kyoto to expedite delivery. It would be cheaper likely even with EMS shipping vs having it shipped from NY.

So I thought I was on the Kyoto site and ordered the shincha sencha, seemed a bit odd as I was doing it, paid for it ... then realized I was on the USA site ... so I am a bit bummed.
Upps...
and Yes, I was surprise Ippodo NYC prices are higher than Kyoto prices, but then I realize they are passing onto US customers their own shipping costs from Japan. If you then have to again ship from NYC to another location you’ll be paying double shipping essentially.
Chip
Admin

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:14 pm

... which is one primary reason I wanted to order from Kyoto. Plus I would receive it weeks earlier.

Of course the higher NY prices are both understandable and justified.

Seems they are shipping to the NY location via what we used to jokingly refer to as "the slow boat".

Having the NY location is great for the less adventurous tea buyers who would never consider purchasing direct from Japan.
Chip
Admin

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:11 am

More O-Cha news.

Both YM and SM are in stock and preorders are being fulfilled.

They also have the 20th anniversary special edition in stock ... but won't update their site to accept orders until preorders are done. So just have to be patient!

https://www.o-cha.com/20th.html
gatmcm

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:31 am

Chip wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:11 am

They also have the 20th anniversary special edition in stock ... but won't update their site to accept orders until preorders are done. So just have to be patient!
What do you mean? I ordered a bag of the 20th anniversary just now, or have they updated it since your post
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:13 am

Yes, it was updated since Chip's post. When Chip got up this morning, he saw it was priced and now available. It was on the site last night, but without a price and unavailable to order.

Kevin had also told Chip he wanted to get a handle on the preorders before offering it.
gatmcm

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:22 am

Ah thanks, went back to check if I had ordered the right thing :lol:
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:27 am

gatmcm wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:22 am
Ah thanks, went back to check if I had ordered the right thing :lol:
You are quite welcome😊!
swordofmytriumph

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:53 am

It looks so amazing. Lol I’m gonna be swimming in shincha.
Victoria
Admin

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:42 pm

I’m going to wait for that limited edition 20th anniversary Sae Midori to be available, before hitting buy button... the past limited editions he had were stellar, like Kyoto Sencha - Chadōraku.
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:10 pm

Victoria wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:42 pm
I’m going to wait for that limited edition 20th anniversary Sae Midori to be available, before hitting buy button... the past limited editions he had were stellar, like Kyoto Sencha - Chadōraku.
It is available now Victoria!!! :mrgreen: