Japanese Greens - Can’t Get Away

Non-oxidized tea
LuckyMe

Fri May 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Count me in a Japanese green tea enthusiast! Sencha is the first "real" tea I started drinking years ago before I really got into tea and it still my favorite. Since then, I've grown to love Taiwanese oolongs and Chinese greens but sencha remains king in my cupboard. Even the Chinese green teas I like such as Laoshan teas have characteristics similar to Japanese green tea.

Aside from sencha, I want to give a shout out to kamairicha which is a rare pan-fired Japanese green tea. I discovered it a couple of years ago and is right up there with sencha in my list of favorites. It's really fruity and delicious. I'm surprised at how underrated it is, even in Japan as its truly an amazing tea.
Baisao

Fri May 24, 2019 3:55 pm

LuckyMe wrote:
Aside from sencha, I want to give a shout out to kamairicha which is a rare pan-fired Japanese green tea. I discovered it a couple of years ago and is right up there with sencha in my list of favorites. It's really fruity and delicious. I'm surprised at how underrated it is, even in Japan as its truly an amazing tea.
I heartily agree. Kama-iri is one of my favorite genres and there's a large amount of variety within it depending upon cultivar and terroir. They can be fruity, floral, gamy, smoky, salty, etc. Really, the full range of Japanese tea flavors can be found in this genre of teas. While the sha qing is done in the Chinese style, they are uniquely Japanese in profile. I'm fond of them.
nasalfrog

Fri May 24, 2019 4:11 pm

LuckyMe wrote:
I'll second the kamairicha shout out. I'm still fairly new to it, but I tried an Ureshino benifuki from Thés Du Japon last year and was totally blown away. I brewed it for short times at boiling with less leaf than I typically use, and it was full of flavor for 6-7 brews. Kind of a floral/caramel flavor that I couldn't quite pin down exactly what it was similar to. It was unique, unlike any tea I've tried. I went back to order more, but it was sold out by then. You might keep an eye out for it. I definitely am.
LuckyMe

Sat May 25, 2019 11:41 pm

Glad to see other kamairicha fans here! :D @nasalfrog I bought mine from Yuuki-Cha and both the Organic Miyazaki Tokujo and Miyazaki Okumidori kamairichas were stellar teas.
nasalfrog

Sun May 26, 2019 1:57 pm

LuckyMe wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:41 pm
Glad to see other kamairicha fans here! :D nasalfrog I bought mine from Yuuki-Cha and both the Organic Miyazaki Tokujo and Miyazaki Okumidori kamairichas were stellar teas.
Thanks for the recommendations! I regret not adding the Tokujo to my shincha order, but hopefully it's available whenever I place an order again. My favorite that I've tried, is the Miyazaki Kuchinashi from Yuuki-Cha. They list it as an oolong, but the description says it's a kamairicha. I guess when brewed the flavor does resemble oolongs I've tried, though. I recall it having floral and almost sweet plum flavors and enjoying it quite a bit.