The next matcha?

Non-oxidized tea
beforewisdom

Thu May 10, 2018 4:09 pm

I will be buying matcha again very soon. Probably from O-cha.com ( I like their stuff, have an account, etc ). What is there to try with matcha? If you try something different, what do you get that is different? If you spend more money, what do you get for the extra money? What if you are not a super taster? So far, the only difference I have seen with matcha is the difference between decent matcha and the really crappy food grade matcha Republic Of Tea used to sell.
entropyembrace

Thu May 10, 2018 7:12 pm

What matcha have you tried so far?

Different matchas of similar grades have different balances of sweet/umami/bitter/astringent. They also can have different "notes" like one could remind you of cacao and another remind you of nori. Very high grade matcha is less harsh than lower grade matcha and can be used to make koicha (thick tea) the difference between koicha grade matcha and usucha only grade matcha is as clear as the difference between usucha and culinary matcha is.
beforewisdom

Fri May 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Well, I had that crap from Republic of Tea that thankfully the good people of the forerunner of this forum told me was not typical of decent matcha, so I didn't quit. I then had something good from o-cha.com a long time ago, but don't remember what. Lately I've been using something called Ujitawara from the company called Lupicia.

After what you wrote I think I might like to try something more toward the sweet side and of really high quality. Price isn't a problem as I have a low caffiene tolerance and can only use a little matcha at a time ( I usually just have the spoon thinly coated with the powder unless I had a short night ).
entropyembrace

Fri May 11, 2018 2:43 pm

You could give Matcha Manten from O-cha a try if you want to try koicha grade matcha.

I've been drinking pretty much only Matsu no Midori from Maiko tea for a while now it's a relatively affordable sweet balanced matcha. Kotobuki is a higher end relatively sweet matcha also from Maiko tea.
chofmann
Vendor

Fri May 11, 2018 3:40 pm

If you're interested in a sweeter matcha, I'd try the Gokou matcha from Obubu, which is solid and slightly sweeter than normal due to the cultivar used.
beforewisdom

Sun May 13, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks for the tip!

I just ordered some from obubutea.com

I'll post back how I like it.