2018 Shincha Ordering Topic

Non-oxidized tea
nasalfrog

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 pm

Chip wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:19 pm
I typically develop a personal fave 5 list of vendors.
What are your current fav vendors? I'm still stumbling upon different vendors and, while I would like to give them all a fair shot, there is unfortunately only so much tea I can afford and consume. I'd like to make my purchases a bit wiser!
Chip
Admin

Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:36 pm
Chip wrote:
Baisao wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:58 pm

That was also my favorite Japanese tea of 2017. The kama-iri cha made with Fuji-kaori was a close contender; it turned my notion of Japanese teas upside down despite its minor flaws. The Shizu-7132 sencha was perfectly balanced all the way around. My son said it best when I had him smell the tea: I want to crawl into the bag and just stay there.

I tried several teas from O-Cha in 2017, and while perfectly delicious, they were so impeccably well blended that a lot of the character of each varietal was lost. I would say that the teas I had from O-Cha (actually from Tsuen) are technically better than the teas I had from Thés du Japon but each company has philosophical differences that almost put them into different categories. One has teas that are masterfully blended with perfect structures, the other has single-estate teas of rare-ish processing types and varietals that will no doubt have structural flaws. Odd as it may seem, I enjoyed Thés du Japon's teas more.
I always say, drink what you like and like what you drink. That is the beauty of the free market and the vast vendor list and selections available today ... compared to say ... 12 or so years ago.

I agree, these two vendors have quite divergent philosophies in what they are going to offer. But they do also share gray zones if you look for it.

I have spent the last 12 years trying many selections from many vendors. I typically develop a personal fave 5 list of vendors. Not going to surprise anyone by saying that O-Cha is virtually always my #1 vendor. And as such, I have a fave 5 list of perennial fave selections from this vendor. Interestingly, my fave 5 selections are virtually identical ... unchanged ... for much of the last 12 years.

The du Japon is always on my fave 5 list of vendors, but I have never been able to develop a fave 5 list of their selections.
What are your top 5 favorite teas from O-cha?
Aoi
Sae Midori
Yutaka Midori
... hmmm, Asanoka
Likely Oku Midori but it has been unavailable for me to try this harvest

Those are my go to sencha from O-cha. I also have a gyokuro go to list.
Chip
Admin

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:08 pm

nasalfrog wrote:
Chip wrote:
What are your current fav vendors? I'm still stumbling upon different vendors and, while I would like to give them all a fair shot, there is unfortunately only so much tea I can afford and consume. I'd like to make my purchases a bit wiser!
You know, after I said that, I realized my list really has not been updated this harvest year which makes it rather ... obsolete.

I continued to think about this quite a bit throughout the day into evening ... it is like much of my Tea journey is completed ... and I have reached my tea destination.

I found this notion interesting and thought it would be an interesting new forum topic. :idea:

In recent harvests, my list included
O-cha
The du Japon
Dens
Hibiki-an
Zencha.net ... off my list
And I want to try Yunomi
d.manuk

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Chip wrote:
Aoi
Sae Midori
Yutaka Midori
... hmmm, Asanoka

I've had Aoi before (Tsuen) and quite liked it, it's been my favorite sencha so far. I found this out by accident, but it paired really well with red watermelon!
Sae Midori was less to my taste. I will try some of the others you've mentioned. :D
nasalfrog

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Chip wrote:
You know, after I said that, I realized my list really has not been updated this harvest year which makes it rather ... obsolete.

I continued to think about this quite a bit throughout the day into evening ... it is like much of my Tea journey is completed ... and I have reached my tea destination.

I found this notion interesting and thought it would be an interesting new forum topic. :idea:

O-cha
The du Japon
Dens
Hibiki-an
And I want to try Yunomi
Thank you! I have yet to try 3 of those vendors (4 if you count Yunomi). You've got me rethinking my Shincha plan.

I hadn't ever thought of there being a destination. The landscape seems so vast to me just beginning. A great topic, indeed!
entropyembrace

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:27 pm

Chip wrote:

I wonder why is Zencha off the list? It's been several years since I ordered from them though I remember liking their tea.
Chip
Admin

Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:59 pm

entropyembrace wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:27 pm
Chip wrote:

I wonder why is Zencha off the list? It's been several years since I ordered from them though I remember liking their tea.
Something changed ... I used to like several selections quite a bit, enough to keep Zencha on my watch list. But the last few times I was very disappointed to the point I have not ordered again.
Chip
Admin

Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:02 pm

nasalfrog wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:44 pm
Chip wrote:

O-cha
The du Japon
Dens
Hibiki-an
And I want to try Yunomi
Thank you! I have yet to try 3 of those vendors (4 if you count Yunomi). You've got me rethinking my Shincha plan.

I hadn't ever thought of there being a destination. The landscape seems so vast to me just beginning. A great topic, indeed!
How could I forget Maiko and Ippodo!!!
Chip
Admin

Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:05 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:41 pm
Chip wrote:
Aoi
Sae Midori
Yutaka Midori
... hmmm, Asanoka

I've had Aoi before (Tsuen) and quite liked it, it's been my favorite sencha so far. I found this out by accident, but it paired really well with red watermelon!
Sae Midori was less to my taste. I will try some of the others you've mentioned. :D
Maybe you are an asa kinda guy versus fuka. I tend to like each almost as much as the other.

I tend to alternate, opening an asa, then a fuka, etc.

That's how I roll ... :mrgreen:
Victoria
Admin

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:27 pm

David Glass just shared O-Cha’s preorder countdown, tick tick.. down to the second...
https://www.o-cha.com/shincha/
davidmarkglass

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:47 am

Tick tick tick tick.
chofmann
Vendor

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:57 pm

Chip wrote:
nasalfrog wrote:
Chip wrote:

O-cha
The du Japon
Dens
Hibiki-an
And I want to try Yunomi
What are your favorite teas from Hibiki-an? They have so many grades of each tea!
Chip
Admin

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:46 pm

chofmann wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:57 pm
Chip wrote:
nasalfrog wrote:

O-cha
The du Japon
Dens
Hibiki-an
And I want to try Yunomi
What are your favorite teas from Hibiki-an? They have so many grades of each tea!
It has been a few years, I usually stick with the "Premium" selections.

I avoid the "Superior" grades because they can be funky and avoid the higher grades because I never find the value in them.
ferg

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Victoria wrote:

David Glass just shared O-Cha’s preorder countdown, tick tick.. down to the second...
Thanks for notification David and Victoria. I've been on the look-out. Surprising the shincha offerings don't show up on the main page or as a loose-leaf category. I feel like I'm in on some secret. Maybe that's the point! :)
Chip wrote:

I avoid the "Superior" grades because they can be funky and avoid the higher grades because I never find the value in them.
Chip, which O-Cha shincha selections are you springing for? Do you find Tsuen's Kirameki worth the cost? I'm thinking of sticking with the usuals at the moment: Sae Midori, Yutakai Midori, and AOI.
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:26 pm

ferg wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:27 pm
Victoria wrote:

Thanks for notification David and Victoria. I've been on the look-out. Surprising the shincha offerings don't show up on the main page or as a loose-leaf category. I feel like I'm in on some secret. Maybe that's the point! :)
Chip wrote:

Chip, which O-Cha shincha selections are you springing for? Do you find Tsuen's Kirameki worth the cost? I'm thinking of sticking with the usuals at the moment: Sae Midori, Yutakai Midori, and AOI.
Hi Ferg, I sure believe Kirameki is worth it! Let's see what the Green Teamaan says. :mrgreen: