Non-oxidized tea
Chip
Admin

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:08 pm

ferg wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:27 pm
Victoria wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:27 pm

David Glass just shared O-Cha’s preorder countdown, tick tick.. down to the second...
https://www.o-cha.com/shincha/
Thanks for notification David and Victoria. I've been on the look-out. Surprising the shincha offerings don't show up on the main page or as a loose-leaf category. I feel like I'm in on some secret. Maybe that's the point! :)
Chip wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:46 pm

It has been a few years, I usually stick with the "Premium" selections.

I avoid the "Superior" grades because they can be funky and avoid the higher grades because I never find the value in them.
Chip, which O-Cha shincha selections are you springing for? Do you find Tsuen's Kirameki worth the cost? I'm thinking of sticking with the usuals at the moment: Sae Midori, Yutakai Midori, and AOI.
Kirameki ... I never feel that for me personally it is a good buy. I just never feel like I nail It brewing. It has been several years, so perhaps I should try it again.

I will certainly be ordering the SM, YM, Aoi trifecta. Beyond that ... I do not know yet.

I opened my last bag of 2017 sencha, Aoi. I am down to around 77 grams. I don't think I will make it. I do have some of O-cha's Uji teabags. Still going to come up short ... :(

I will likely preorder shincha for the first time in years in order to expedite delivery.
ferg

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:50 pm

And order placed...with less than an hour to go! 8-) Went for my standard go-tos: Sae Midori, Yutaki Midori, and Tsuen's AOI.

Instead of the Kirameki, I'm holding off for Maiko's Shincha Kinari. Can't beat the quality to price ratio on that one, regardless if '17 wasn't as good as previous years. Always order a handful of these at a minimum.

While I never had the chance to personally communicate with iannon, from reading past posts over the years on TeaChat, I know he was particularly fond of Maiko's Kinari. So I like to order this one in his memory.
Chip
Admin

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:22 pm

In days of yore, I would set a goal of 20 Shincha selections, often for sharing and TeaChat tastings (a LOT of work).

These days I seem to focus on perennially tried and true selections and personal faves. This is a lot more cost effective and ... less stressful.

How many will I order this year, I do not even know the answer to that question yet. But I do know it is not about a number. :mrgreen:

Ordering so far ...

O-cha
Kirameki
Aoi
Sae Midori
Yutaka Midori

Maiko
Kinari, although I am convinced this selection is much different than years ago (it was kabusecha last year, I don't remember that years ago) I am ordering in memory of iannon who i still miss dearly to this day.

Beyond this, I do not know.
ferg

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:19 pm

Ha, so you ended up springing for the kirameki anyhow? ;) I would've ordered for comparison sake. No worries, I know I'm safe with the three selections, as they always hold up well.

Just curious, how many of each did you order? I always lean on the heavy side due to base shipping cost. However, I opted for one of each to allow myself to try a wider variety from different vendors, if desired. And, more importantly, to make sure I drink it up before making my usual stockpile. :lol:
entropyembrace

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Chip wrote:

I will certainly be ordering the SM, YM, Aoi trifecta. Beyond that ... I do not know yet.

I opened my last bag of 2017 sencha, Aoi. I am down to around 77 grams. I don't think I will make it. I do have some of O-cha's Uji teabags. Still going to come up short ... :(

I will likely preorder shincha for the first time in years in order to expedite delivery.
I've just opened my last bag of 2017 sencha, also Aoi. At the rate I go through sencha it should last until shincha arrives without any problems though.

I'm thinking of ordering SM, YM, and Aoi as well, they're usually my favourites, however; Oku Yuaka, Miyabi, and Chiran have ranked highly before. Going for all of the above is a bit overkill for me.
pedant
Admin

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:33 am

first one at TDJ arrived: kondo-wase
http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... cts_id=182
tempting
Chip
Admin

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:44 pm

ferg wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:19 pm
Ha, so you ended up springing for the kirameki anyhow? ;) I would've ordered for comparison sake. No worries, I know I'm safe with the three selections, as they always hold up well.

Just curious, how many of each did you order? I always lean on the heavy side due to base shipping cost. However, I opted for one of each to allow myself to try a wider variety from different vendors, if desired. And, more importantly, to make sure I drink it up before making my usual stockpile. :lol:
Turns out, I missed the preorder ... again. So I will piece meal my O-cha shincha ordering ... again.

Kevin informed me the the SM is really stellar. I am ordering 5 bags, 2 for keeps and 3 for sharing.

I will likely stick to 2 each of YM, Aoi, Kirameki. I might expand my O-cha shincha order to other selections ...
Chip
Admin

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:53 pm

entropyembrace wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:49 pm
Chip wrote:

I've just opened my last bag of 2017 sencha, also Aoi. At the rate I go through sencha it should last until shincha arrives without any problems though.

I'm thinking of ordering SM, YM, and Aoi as well, they're usually my favourites, however; Oku Yuaka, Miyabi, and Chiran have ranked highly before. Going for all of the above is a bit overkill for me.
Can't go wrong with that trifecta!

Miyabi had always been an enigma for me. It has likely been a decade since I ordered it. I should try it again. Don't you think?

My emergency holdover order arrived today ... not a day to soon! Some gyokuro and a bag of 2017 SM.

I am guessing 2018 SM shincha will arrive next week. :mrgreen:

AND the dollar remains strong to the Japanese ¥. It is another good buy year and no late freezes or other ... complications ... so far.
pedant
Admin

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:55 pm

I preordered from o-cha an Aoi and a YM for sharing 8-)
ferg

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:43 pm

Chip wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Turns out, I missed the preorder ... again. So I will piece meal my O-cha shincha ordering ... again.

Kevin informed me the the SM is really stellar. I am ordering 5 bags, 2 for keeps and 3 for sharing.

I will likely stick to 2 each of YM, Aoi, Kirameki. I might expand my O-cha shincha order to other selections ...
4 more bags of SM ordered, not all for me either. Thanks for the heads up.

Probably a good strategy on your part ordering piecemeal, as you'll receive the tea quicker, albeit higher total shipping.

With the AOI and YM, I don't anticipate my order arriving until mid-May. Ok by me, but I know you'd be jonesing, waiting.
Chip
Admin

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 pm

My Sae Midori from O-cha is stateside in Jamaica NY. It SHOULD arrive Tuesday before 3 PM. :mrgreen:
Chip
Admin

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:37 pm

... and (first) shincha is in da haus!
Chip
Admin

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 pm

There is nothing like when you first cut open Sae Midori shincha. The aroma is so vibrant and sweet.

It is truly remarkable! An olfactory feast!
Chip
Admin

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Shincha shall pour first thing in the morning.

I will have a rare opp to sample and compare both shincha Sae Midori and previous harvest Sae Midori ... having both open at the same time ... but not tomorrow ... tomorrow will tell a new story about a celebration of a new harvest ... and that is sufficient for me. :mrgreen:
ferg

Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 pm

The Sae Midori impress? Better than last year's?