Palate for Green(er) Tea

Non-oxidized tea
Noonie

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:13 pm

I drink mainly Sencha, Matcha and high mountain Oolong. I recently placed a large order with a local vendor who was having a sale, so I bought some white tea (first time) and varieties of Wuyi. I’ve had Wuyi before, and generally like it. After several days of drinking Wuyi, I must say that my palette favours green tea, not to mention the aroma. I really appreciate the subtle flavours of green tea. And I guess the greener Oolong is similar in its subtle flavour profile. The more oxidized teas to me are overpowering. I figure it’s my palette?
Last edited by Noonie on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Have you tried any Dancong? They can be quite light and floral too!

Or Bazhong from Taiwan?
Noonie

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:34 am

I’ve had a lot of Dan Cong. Generally, I like it. Though after buying a large quantity last year I got tired of it. That tends to happen with teas other than my favourites mentioned above.

I have some Bazhong I’ve yet to open, but now I’m looking forward to it!
d.manuk

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 pm

What about Chinese greens?
Psyck

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:57 am

If you have mainly been drinking Japanese Greens and Taiwanese Oolongs, then you can explore Greens and Oolongs from other various countries before trying other tea types that your palate may not prefer. In spite of your not liking more oxidised teas, you could even try a black like Darjeeling which being only partially oxidised is closer in appearance and taste to an Oolong than a Black.
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Noonie wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:13 pm
I drink mainly Sencha, Matcha and high mountain Oolong. I recently placed a large order with a local vendor who was having a sale, so I bought some white tea (first time) and varieties of Wuyi. I’ve had Wuyi before, and generally like it. After several days of drinking Wuyi, I must say that my palette favours green tea, not to mention the aroma. I really appreciate the subtle flavours of green tea. And I guess the greener Oolong is similar in its subtle flavour profile. The more oxidized teas to me are overpowering. I figure it’s my palette?
I realize that I am picking at nits here, but the correct word is palate not palette.
Noonie

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:17 am

I’ve tried a lot if tea over the years, Chinese greens, Darjeeling, Dan Cong and varieties of black tea.

My point is that I’ve come to realize that I prefer greener teas, mainly Japanese but I like some Chinese greens as well. And I figure it’s what my palate 😉 prefers.

I still drink darker Oolong, and black tea on occasion...but recently I’ve come to realize I’m content with green!