Bottled tea

Non-oxidized tea
debunix

Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:15 pm

I have a very specific question for a friend, but I’m giving this topic a more general title, in case other people will be wanting to add to it over time.

The question for a friend is about a specific Ito en bottled tea, called “bold, green tea”. He’d like to start with tea leaves and prepare something that tastes similar. What I find on their website just says it is made with green tea and ascorbic acid and water. I’m assuming the ascorbic acid is added in quantity to minimize oxidation and not as a flavorant. Does anyone know about the green tea used in this, e.g., sencha, Matcha, Bancha, a mix?
Baisao

Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:29 pm

debunix wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:15 pm
I have a very specific question for a friend, but I’m giving this topic a more general title, in case other people will be wanting to add to it over time.

The question for a friend is about a specific Ito en bottled tea, called “bold, green tea”. He’d like to start with tea leaves and prepare something that tastes similar. What I find on their website just says it is made with green tea and ascorbic acid and water. I’m assuming the ascorbic acid is added in quantity to minimize oxidation and not as a flavorant. Does anyone know about the green tea used in this, e.g., sencha, Matcha, Bancha, a mix?
I’m going off of pre-pandemic memory here but iirc it has a roasted flavor. You’re correct regarding the ascorbic acid. I can’t detect it in any of their teas. I’d try a roasted bancha to get in the ballpark.
rdl

Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:07 pm

I may be confusing things here but I thought I once read that imported "sencha" is used, Chinese? possibly their South American gardens. I'm not sure bold is referring roasted as that is a distinctly labeled bottle.