2023 Chinese green tea thread

Non-oxidized tea
GaoShan

Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:39 pm

Japanese green tea seems to get all the love around here! Are any of you getting fresh Chinese green tea this year?

I caved and bought some Anji Bai Cha and pre-Qingming Bi Luo Chun from Teavivre. It's not the world's most ultra-premium tea, but it's good enough to bowl brew without breaking the bank. I'm also going to order some greens from Yunnan Craft in the next few days.

I'm curious to see whether those ultra-premium teas are worth the cost and what you'll be ordering in 2023!
Janice

Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:11 pm

I like to order from Seven Cups. I get some longjing, an ji bai cha (early & late) and Tai ping hou kui. I usually try at least one tea that’s new to me. Seven Cups generally offers the teas at a 20% discount the first weekend they’re up for sale.
LeoFox

Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:49 pm

GaoShan wrote:
Japanese green tea seems to get all the love around here! Are any of you getting fresh Chinese green tea this year?

I caved and bought some Anji Bai Cha and pre-Qingming Bi Luo Chun from Teavivre. It's not the world's most ultra-premium tea, but it's good enough to bowl brew without breaking the bank. I'm also going to order some greens from Yunnan Craft in the next few days.

I'm curious to see whether those ultra-premium teas are worth the cost and what you'll be ordering in 2023!
I would wait to order from yunnan craft until they have more 2023 greens. He is on sourcing trip until the 12th so no point in rushing the order right now
GaoShan

Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:24 pm

Janice wrote:
I like to order from Seven Cups. I get some longjing, an ji bai cha (early & late) and Tai ping hou kui. I usually try at least one tea that’s new to me. Seven Cups generally offers the teas at a 20% discount the first weekend they’re up for sale.
Thank you! I've considered ordering from Seven Cups, but the high shipping cost to Canada is a barrier. Can you order each green tea when it's on sale and have them shipped all at once, or do you need to make a separate order for each one you buy?
GaoShan

Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:25 pm

LeoFox wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:49 pm
GaoShan wrote:

I would wait to order from yunnan craft until they have more 2023 greens. He is on sourcing trip until the 12th so no point in rushing the order right now
Thanks! Maybe he'll get some more black teas as well.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:34 pm

TeaHabitat here in LA always has quite a few Chinese greens. Imen the owner has been posting some of this springs haul, and commented that Long Jing prices have give way up from her sources;
GaoShan

Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:13 pm

Victoria wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:34 pm
TeaHabitat here in LA always has quite a few Chinese greens. Imen the owner has been posting some of this springs haul, and commented that Long Jing prices have give way up from her sources;
I'd certainly call that ultra-premium tea! I'd love to try some eventually. Maybe next year I'll split an order with someone in the U.S. to take advantage of the free shipping threshold. Have you tried some of her greens?
Janice

Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:14 pm

GaoShan wrote:
Janice wrote:
Thank you! I've considered ordering from Seven Cups, but the high shipping cost to Canada is a barrier. Can you order each green tea when it's on sale and have them shipped all at once, or do you need to make a separate order for each one you buy?
I doubt that they’ll combine orders like that. Also, There could be several weeks between offers.

I’ve never understood why mail to our neighbors costs as much as mail to the other side of the planet. Even my cell phone plan doesn’t charge international rates to call Canada.
GaoShan

Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:29 pm

Janice wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:14 pm
GaoShan wrote:
Janice wrote:
I doubt that they’ll combine orders like that. Also, There could be several weeks between offers.

I’ve never understood why mail to our neighbors costs as much as mail to the other side of the planet. Even my cell phone plan doesn’t charge international rates to call Canada.
It looks like first class mail to Canada is around US$16, though first class priority jumps to $42! That actually isn't bad considering what others are charging, though I also don't know why it has to be so expensive. There are probably reasons, but as a customer, it's annoying.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:38 am

GaoShan wrote:

I'd certainly call that ultra-premium tea! I'd love to try some eventually. Maybe next year I'll split an order with someone in the U.S. to take advantage of the free shipping threshold. Have you tried some of her greens?
I saw a post from someone in the Longjing area just recently, ultra premium this year is like 5000USD per 500g if I recall correctly, lol Charcoal roasted by some sort of master.
GaoShan

Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:23 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:38 am
GaoShan wrote:

I saw a post from someone in the Longjing area just recently, ultra premium this year is like 5000USD per 500g if I recall correctly, lol Charcoal roasted by some sort of master.
:shock:

I actually saw pre-Qingming Longjing selling for more than $1,000 for 100 g on a vendor's website, so this shouldn't surprise me. Maybe Tea Habitat's tea is just premium. Do you drink any Chinese green tea?
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:46 am

@GaoShan not really into greens in general. Occasionally… a bit too one dimensional for my taste - compared to Oolongs.
GaoShan

Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:36 pm

Bok wrote:
GaoShan not really into greens in general. Occasionally… a bit too one dimensional for my taste - compared to Oolongs.
I don't drink a lot of green tea either, but I do appreciate some fresh greens in the spring. Still, my username is GaoShan for a reason. :P Do you know how the 2023 oolong harvest is going?
Bok
Vendor

Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:35 pm

GaoShan wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:36 pm
Bok wrote:
GaoShan not really into greens in general. Occasionally… a bit too one dimensional for my taste - compared to Oolongs.
I don't drink a lot of green tea either, but I do appreciate some fresh greens in the spring. Still, my username is GaoShan for a reason. :P Do you know how the 2023 oolong harvest is going?
Still some way to go for the higher altitudes… before Qingming, which was just now (still on holiday in tw actually) not much new tea comes out. But should be starting soon!
LuckyMe

Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:22 am

GaoShan wrote:

I love Teavivre's Anti Bai Chai! Last year, I purchased it from Yunnan Sourcing and while good, it didn't quite have the same vibrancy.

I'm also going to hit up Verdant for Laoshan green tea and maybe Dragonwell if I don't pick some up from Teavivre.