Chinese tea poor harvest year

Non-oxidized tea
Cassie
New user

Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:10 am

On the bus to work this morning, I saw an article shared by a public account about tea picking.
He said that they will go to to pick tea every White Dews, but this year is an exception, and basically no tea can be picked.
Because it's very dry this summer, and the tea tree could not grow up, and the tender buds basically did not grow.
So next year must be difficult for tea supplier.
Attachments
3.png
3.png (287.48 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
2.png
2.png (366.81 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
1.png
1.png (259.36 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
tolean

Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:10 am

Let's hope it's a click bate article)).
As i know dry years are good for tea: less tea, but better quality. Still if too dry, then of course it's not good...
aet
Vendor

Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:30 am

It has been lashing rain / pouring buckets in Yunnan over the summer. There are actually lines of water coming down now from the sky as I write this ;-)
I still haven't pressed our tea because the rain all over the summer and that's not good for drying cakes after pressing ( unless doing in drying chamber. but we prefer natural way ) .

So it really depends on location in China.
TeaZero

Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:55 pm

From what I heard the bigger challenge is about hiring tea pickers. Unless many countries where tea pickers are underpaid, in China it's hard to hire this year. Due to covid, many seasonal workers prefer to stay in their home town to avoid getting stuck.
Bok
Vendor

Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:33 pm

A teamaker once said to me: If you know what you are doing, you will always be able to make good tea. Maybe not as much as in a good year, but nonetheless good tea there will be.
aet
Vendor

Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:14 pm

TeaZero wrote:
From what I heard the bigger challenge is about hiring tea pickers. Unless many countries where tea pickers are underpaid, in China it's hard to hire this year. Due to covid, many seasonal workers prefer to stay in their home town to avoid getting stuck.
that was in Yiwu last year , when village ( and so the access to the mountain ) was closed . Other issue is that same time there is a harvest of other things which are mostly paid better than picking the tea leaves, so hard to find the workers.
TeaZero

Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:46 am

aet wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:14 pm
TeaZero wrote:
that was in Yiwu last year , when village ( and so the access to the mountain ) was closed . Other issue is that same time there is a harvest of other things which are mostly paid better than picking the tea leaves, so hard to find the workers.
Can confirm that. Tea pickers were hard to recruit in the past two years, that's what I hear from some friends in the tea industry. The pay is not that bad, actually really good to other tea exporting countries, but due to covid just less people interested in seasonal jobs. That said, I still managed to buy some really good teas from China though, so I guess it depends from region to region.