Japanese tea in the United States before World War 2

Non-oxidized tea
mbanu

Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:14 pm

For many years, the United States was essentially Japan's only major tea export market, as most other countries that drank green tea grew their own, and Japan did not enter the West African tea market until the 1930s. The U.S. had its own Japanese tea brands, its own methods of preparation, and its own tea-styles, so I thought a thread devoted to this topic might be fun. :)
Attachments
goldenseal-japantea-1882.jpg
goldenseal-japantea-1882.jpg (794.51 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
debunix

Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:36 pm

That’s a very fancy label. So curious now as to what that tea was like.....
Bok
Vendor

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:26 am

Might even have been grown in their Taiwanese colony, which did grow a lot of tea for their Japanese overlords. Some green tea varietals can be traced back to these times. In fact I just had a sort of Taiwanese Sencha a couple of days ago, made out of some half abandoned bushes from that period.
mbanu

Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:45 am

I was thinking of Oscar Wilde's observation from The Decay of Lying, which reminded me of this thread.
Oscar Wilde wrote:I know that you are fond of Japanese things. Now, do you really imagine that the Japanese people, as they are presented to us in art, have any existence? If you do, you have never understood Japanese art at all. The Japanese people are the deliberate self-conscious creation of certain individual artists. If you set a picture by Hokusai, or Hokkei, or any of the great native painters, beside a real Japanese gentleman or lady, you will see that there is not the slightest resemblance between them. The actual people who live in Japan are not unlike the general run of English people; that is to say, they are extremely commonplace, and have nothing curious or extraordinary about them. In fact the whole of Japan is a pure invention. There is no such country, there are no such people.
tea-kimono-1916.jpg
tea-kimono-1916.jpg (746.69 KiB) Viewed 2702 times

I was thinking of this quote due to a 1916 catalog photo from Vantine's Oriental, a New York shop that specialized in Eastern imports -- they were selling kimonos as tea-gowns that people could wear for tea parties! At first, the idea of special clothes for tea sounds a little strange, but I know a few Japanophiles today who would probably be tempted by an invitation to drink tea while dressed in a nice kimono that they picked up in Japan but never have an occasion to wear in the U.S.
.m.

Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:22 pm

What kind of green tea was it back then? Was it a steamed sencha of the kind one drinks today or something quite different? I know they produced a lot of black tea for export, using assamica bushes i think (?).
mbanu

Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:38 pm

.m. wrote:
What kind of green tea was it back then? Was it a steamed sencha of the kind one drinks today or something quite different?
The most popular type was sencha, but most was given an extra firing to help with the shelf life, which gave it a different taste than modern sencha. I suspect it was more similar to the roasted banchas made today, except with higher-quality base material.
.m.

Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:11 am

mbanu wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:38 pm
.m. wrote:
What kind of green tea was it back then? Was it a steamed sencha of the kind one drinks today or something quite different?
The most popular type was sencha, but most was given an extra firing to help with the shelf life, which gave it a different taste than modern sencha. I suspect it was more similar to the roasted banchas made today, except with higher-quality base material.
👍 Thanks. Makes sense.