Longjing: Sources and Brewing

Non-oxidized tea
Noonie

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:01 am

Over the years I’ve had Longjing now and then. I recently picked some up from Camellia Sinensis in Canada, after having a free sample in a previous order. I really like it! It’s fresh tasting like Sencha (my favourite), with a slight nutty/toasty flavour.

What are some other sources for this tea, that are medium quality and price (or that elusive lower price/higher quality source that happens now and then)?

How do you brew Longjing? I’ve been following Hojo’s recommendations, though I shave a third steeping at a higher temp and time (he doesn’t mention a third steeping).
Brent D

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Im not huge into Long Jing, but I always keep some around. Ive usually get it from Yunnan sourcing. Ive been pretty happy with quality to cost ratio. Maybe one day ill spring for some Hojo or Tea Habitat offering.
I make mine gongfu style with 175F water. I can squeeze 4 pretty good infusions out of it if I raise it to 185 after the first 2.
Seven cups and postcard teas are supposed to have pretty good mid range offerings as well. (a bit pricier than YS though)
Ive tried doing it in the tall glass like I see the "pros" doing it. It just doesnt appeal to me though :roll:
Victoria
Admin

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:31 pm

I have some excellent Long Jing from Tea Habitat, it is really fresh and rich, full of umami too. Sweet pea vegetal aroma on wet leaf.

Imen recommended boiled Fiji water, let rest.

3gr/150ml/off boil/1:35 in preheated O-Cha Shibo.

Here is a repost of my image from TC
tea habitat crystal white long jing green tea 2016sm.jpg
tea habitat crystal white long jing green tea 2016sm.jpg (338.08 KiB) Viewed 9835 times
Kupuntu

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:18 pm

I got a 50g bag from What-Cha once and I did it grandpa style mostly. Expensive but good, though I don't really have much to compare it to. I might get a bag or two from YS when I make my next order.

It was also decent gong fu'd but sometimes I was craving grandpa style tea and longjing seemed like a good choice.
Rui

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:14 am

In early spring every year I pre-order pre Qing Ming longjing and mao feng green teas from http://www.teavivre.com/.

They have various longjing teas to fit individual tastes and pockets.

Their green teas are excellent but my favourite is the Organic Nonpareil Ming Qian Dragon Well Long Jing Green Tea.
CWarren

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:21 am

Rui wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:14 am
In early spring every year I pre-order pre Qing Ming longjing and mao feng green teas from http://www.teavivre.com/.

They have various longjing teas to fit individual tastes and pockets.

Their green teas are excellent but my favourite is the Organic Nonpareil Ming Qian Dragon Well Long Jing Green Tea.
I second this. I really enjoyed their mao feng too. Not related to green tea but their Jin jun Mei was pretty happening too.
Kconv

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:18 am

I havent tried their mao feng or jin jun mei, but their nonpariel early dragonwell is the bomb! I just got YS's Dragonwell , will be drinking it wed!
pedant
Admin

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:14 am

in the past, i have gotten good longjing (and other cn greens) from www.lifeinteacup.com
also, lazycattea (octopus on this forum) is offering some that might be good:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tea/comments/878jlu/marketing_monday_march_26_2018/dwb0mtl/ wrote: side note unrelated to lazy cat tea:
Due to some requests I decided to help people to purchase two chinese teas sourced and sold by a teahouse in shanghai I consider a serious and passionate to find correct tea without compromises although. I am not an expert on these teas in any way so dont consider this related to lazycattea at all. Lazy cat tea only offers wuyishan tea and pottery at the moment,However as a person I simply like her attitude towards tea and since ive been asked to I would do this to share tea without taking any profit. The teas in question are Xihu longjing of grade1 from Wengjia shan picked on the 22nd of March and Baihao Yinzhen from Fuding also just made in March (the one described and pictured here). her prices are $40 for 50 of yinzhen and $80 for 50g of longjing. To which I would ask to add a 0.05% for the transaction fees i will be charged and euro 9.5 for shipping. If anyone is interested or has further questions let me know.
Teachronicles

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:55 pm

Bitterleaf teas is offering some higher grade longjing this year. It's crazy expensive tho, starts at 160$ for 100g. I was thinking of seeing if anyone wanted to group buy and split it up but I figured the price is mostly cause the demand is so high and its from one of the more famous regions. I opted for teavivre and yunnan sourcing this year, which were both significantly cheaper. I'm excited to try them as it will be my first time having fresh spring green tea.
Brent D

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:33 pm

Looking for a good source of Shi Feng in the $1=gram range.
octopus
Vendor

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:07 am

pedant wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:14 am
in the past, i have gotten good longjing (and other cn greens) from www.lifeinteacup.com
also, lazycattea (octopus on this forum) is offering some that might be good:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tea/comments/878jlu/marketing_monday_march_26_2018/dwb0mtl/ wrote: side note unrelated to lazy cat tea:
Due to some requests I decided to help people to purchase two chinese teas sourced and sold by a teahouse in shanghai I consider a serious and passionate to find correct tea without compromises although. I am not an expert on these teas in any way so dont consider this related to lazycattea at all. Lazy cat tea only offers wuyishan tea and pottery at the moment,However as a person I simply like her attitude towards tea and since ive been asked to I would do this to share tea without taking any profit. The teas in question are Xihu longjing of grade1 from Wengjia shan picked on the 22nd of March and Baihao Yinzhen from Fuding also just made in March (the one described and pictured here). her prices are $40 for 50 of yinzhen and $80 for 50g of longjing. To which I would ask to add a 0.05% for the transaction fees i will be charged and euro 9.5 for shipping. If anyone is interested or has further questions let me know.
if anyone was considering this she got only 10kg of that longjing 43 and is sold out already. i got some and was quite good. other possible preorders: more longjing from the 群体- qun ti bush style also from wengjia will be picked soon and can be preordered. other green teas that will be preordered soon: taiping houkui and a later pick of biluochun. prices will be out when tea is made so write me if you want to join me in a group buy. green tea goes fast and goes big, only serious applicants pls.

ps idk if this counts as spam, i make no profit out of this but if is spam pls mods remove it.

edit:
the qunti longjing arrived but she didn't consider it good enough for her standards and sent it back. with the way things go and the little time we have there isn't enough time to go source another one so preorders canceled and sadly no more longjing for this year.
Last edited by octopus on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brent D

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:26 am

Teachronicles wrote:
Bitterleaf teas is offering some higher grade longjing this year. It's crazy expensive tho, starts at 160$ for 100g. I was thinking of seeing if anyone wanted to group buy and split it up but I figured the price is mostly cause the demand is so high and its from one of the more famous regions. I opted for teavivre and yunnan sourcing this year, which were both significantly cheaper. I'm excited to try them as it will be my first time having fresh spring green tea.
Wow, that takes the grand prize for price ive seen. The highest end hits almost $500 for 100g!
I was looking at their other offerings and I saw they had shi feng last year for $1 a gram. Anyone try it?
Bok
Vendor

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:42 am

Brent D wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:26 am
Teachronicles wrote:
Wow, that takes the grand prize for price ive seen. The highest end hits almost $500 for 100g!
I was looking at their other offerings and I saw they had shi feng last year for $1 a gram. Anyone try it?
The reality of the premium Chinese tea market! I guess not many Westerners have that deep a pocket to even consider this... I hope this kind of crazy demand never comes to Taiwan! And peace to my soul, I do not fancy green tea anyways :)
d.manuk

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:46 am

Bok wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:42 am
I guess not many Westerners have that deep a pocket to even consider this...
:lol:
More for me
Brent D

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:11 pm

I saw jings tea shop has Shi Feng at around .50 a gram. I know their other teas are highly regarded.
Anyone every try theirs?