Is now a good time to try Japanese teas?

Non-oxidized tea

Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:18 am

After buying a tetsubin, I've felt a desire to try Japanese greens again, after being smitten with other teas for the last few years. That said, I know it's been quite a few months since plucking. Would I be better off waiting til spring to buy?
pedant
Admin

Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:24 am

no problem with trying now. whatever you buy has probably been cold stored and N2 flushed.
Balthazar

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:34 pm

Yeah, not an issue at all. Personally, I prefer my Japanese greens to have rested a couple of months before consumption.
Dresden

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:31 pm

As others have stated... No time like the present. If nothing else it will give you time to find what you like so that once shincha season rolls around you can narrow down your search.

Soooo much shincha.... Soooo little money. :mrgreen:
Baisao

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:15 pm

I agree with all of the above statements and double down on what @Balthazar said.

I may be in the minority but I find shincha novel but not especially good until it has rested, at which time it's probably not technically shincha any longer.

Tea, like wine and spirits, is best consumed after some resting. If you've ever made wine or even tried to blend your own vodka (Everclear and spring water) then you will have noticed that some time spent resting does wonders for texture and flavor.

@pedant mentioned NO2 flushing which helps. Further, it's not uncommon for Japanese teas to be refrigerated in bulk.

Even sashimi is better after some controlled resting.

In other words: there's no time like the present!
faj

Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:18 pm

Baisao wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:15 pm
I may be in the minority but I find shincha novel but not especially good until it has rested, at which time it's probably not technically shincha any longer.
This year was the first year I purchased schincha. Looking through my notes, out of those I purchased, there was only one I seemed to be relatively satisfied with. Though there was a fresh aspect to the teas, I did not find the aromas I like best to be magnified, and many were either weak or lacked balance. I have insufficient experience to express a general opinion, but I certainly did not come out of this schincha season with the Idea I would avoid purchasing sencha at other times of the year.
debunix

Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:01 am

If you are not supplied with Japanese greens, now is a good time to buy some....because better to enjoy the end of the sencha than be without....