Japan Post suspended all shipments to ...

Non-oxidized tea
Bok
Vendor

Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:43 am

@faj i don’t think the issue is with the Japanese postal system, rather with their us counterparts...

Service is taken rather seriously in Japan, compared to the US (and not based on the expectancy of Tipps).
faj

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:04 am

Bok wrote:
faj i don’t think the issue is with the Japanese postal system, rather with their us counterparts...
Service is taken rather seriously in Japan, compared to the US (and not based on the expectancy of Tipps).
I am located in Canada, the mail to which is still (supposedly) accepted by Japan Post. And unless I am mistaken, the 4 months delay was for those countries to which the service is not interrupted (yet?). Mail is flowing mostly normally inside Canada, and if packages make it to the other side of the ocean, they may travel a bit more slowly than usual, but they will be delivered in a reasonable amount of time (no more than a couple of days later than usual I would say).

Now, admittedly, I do not know who is actually responsible for the transatlantic movement of parcels, either the originating country or the destination country. The blame may be on the other country, but the communication was worded in a way that made me conclude otherwise: when blame can be assigned to someone else, it usually is.
aet
Vendor

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:15 am

our clients in Japan also can not receive parcels . JP is locked both ways.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:19 am

faj wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:04 am
Bok wrote:
faj i don’t think the issue is with the Japanese postal system, rather with their us counterparts...
I am located in Canada, the mail to which is still (supposedly) accepted by Japan Post. And unless I am mistaken, the 4 months delay was for those countries to which the service is not interrupted (yet?). Mail is flowing mostly normally inside Canada, and if packages make it to the other side of the ocean, they may travel a bit more slowly than usual, but they will be delivered in a reasonable amount of time (no more than a couple of days later than usual I would say).

Now, admittedly, I do not know who is actually responsible for the transatlantic movement of parcels, either the originating country or the destination country. The blame may be on the other country, but the communication was worded in a way that made me conclude otherwise: when blame can be assigned to someone else, it usually is.
Don’t forget that the proficiency in English is shockingly bad, even worse than Taïwan, so I wouldn’t judge any English announcement in the truest of sense and tone...
Bok
Vendor

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:20 am

Packages from Taiwan to Canada have been suspended weeks ago already by the way...
S_B

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:36 am

Bok wrote:
Packages from Taiwan to Canada have been suspended weeks ago already by the way...
Yikes...it may very well go the same way soon...
Bok
Vendor

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:47 am

S_B wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:36 am
Bok wrote:
Yikes...it may very well go the same way soon...
I think the connection is only held alive so far by the masses of overseas Taiwanese fleeing the mad house of doom and desperation :)))
S_B

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:50 am

I think the connection is only held alive so far by the masses of overseas Taiwanese fleeing the mad house of doom and desperation :)))
Lol very possibly. Our family is remaining a pillar in the storm! Fortunately, Taiwan is doing great, but planes may become in short supply sooner or later. Let's hope it can hold out as long as possible!
Chip
Admin

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Kevin from O-cha ran into a wall with Yamato/UPS. They will not accept food items bound for the USA ... including tea. Too much FDA paperwork.

Reading the The du Japon email newsletter, seems like they are shipping to only a few countries with Yamato/UPS.

Things seem to be seizing up.

DHL really sucks around here. As mentioned above Fedex is pricey.
thetealetter

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:55 am

I'm afraid of what all this portends for the tea farmers this year. I also hear the local market is shaking due to the cancellation of a number of events where producers typically sell large portions of their crop.