Shincha 2020, "the Year of COVID-19"

Non-oxidized tea
Balthazar

Sat May 09, 2020 3:19 am

How much was the shipping price difference (if you compare with similarly heavy order made with Japan Post)? Japan Post is usually super affordable (at least when I order from Thes du Japon, which is my goto-shop for all teas Japanese..) and reliable, at least to Europe. I have limited experience with FedEx, but they've been really pricey on the few occasions that I've used them.

In any case, congrats on getting the tea. Looking forward to read your impressions :)
Chip
Admin

Sat May 09, 2020 9:23 am

Balthazar wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:19 am
How much was the shipping price difference (if you compare with similarly heavy order made with Japan Post)? Japan Post is usually super affordable (at least when I order from Thes du Japon, which is my goto-shop for all teas Japanese..) and reliable, at least to Europe. I have limited experience with FedEx, but they've been really pricey on the few occasions that I've used them.

In any case, congrats on getting the tea. Looking forward to read your impressions :)
Thing w/ FedEx is they seem to have a flat base rate which means if you purchase 8 bags it might be a bit more expensive than Japan Post. My cost to ship this time was $23.76 for 8 bags. Japan Post EMS would be very similar for 8 bags.

If you purchase fewer than 8 bags, Japan Post rate decreases while FedEx stays the same.

I found the FedEx International Express experience to be completely seemless. Once in their system, the package was on the fastest track I have ever seen from Japan. No interuptions as is normal for Japan Post EMS.

The vendor has more paperwork up front w/ FedEx. So it might take a little more time to get the package out the door.

FYI, if you order more than 8 but less than 12 or 13 (can't remember which), the FedEx rate goes to $30 and change.
Victoria
Admin

Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 pm

Started off with O-Cha's Sae Midori, after four sessions over the past few days I'm finding it more delicate and elegant than past years. It is very good, just not an in your face Shincha explosion, more like a refined Tsuen Kyoto experience. Aromatics are also more subdued. Steeping so far at 5.2g/ 140ml/ 170f/ 55sec in preheated Gyokuryu (Mr. Umehara Jiro) sesame filter reduction kyusu, and 5.9g/ 135ml/ 170f/ 55sec in preheated shudei Yamada Sou wall filter kyusu. The results were primarily different because the wall filter on the Sou let out quite a few of the very finely broken up fukamushi leaves, so the brew was bolder but not better. Has anyone else tried it yet?
pedant
Admin

Thu May 14, 2020 1:47 pm

hooray, sae midori from o-cha arrived. thanks, @Victoria!
Rickpatbrown

Thu May 14, 2020 8:41 pm

Just put in my order for 5 bags.

Sae Midori Sencha
Kirishima Organic Sencha
Yutaka Midori Sencha
Chiran Sencha
Uji Shincha Kirameki

I was going to order 2 last night, but was greated with $23 shipping for $45 of tea. I couldn't stomach that, so I twisted a couple of friends arms 😁

$27 shipping.

Cant wait for some fresh Shincha!
Noonie

Fri May 15, 2020 1:01 pm

Ordered 8 bags of Shincha from Thes Du Japon. I’m in Canada and shipping via EMS was both affordable and available. It shipped last night so we’ll see
Victoria
Admin

Fri May 15, 2020 1:27 pm

Noonie wrote:
Ordered 8 bags of Shincha from Thes Du Japon. I’m in Canada and shipping via EMS was both affordable and available. It shipped last night so we’ll see
Very tempted to order from Thes du Japon, he has so many Shincha available. I wonder how shipping to USA is?
Noonie

Fri May 15, 2020 4:09 pm

Victoria wrote:
Noonie wrote:
Very tempted to order from Thes du Japon, he has so many Shincha available. I wonder how shipping to USA is?
Maybe go through the ordering process and look at the shipping price quoted, restrictions and then decide. I have about 7 bags from 2019 still to work through but I figured I can alternate between 2019 Sencha and 2020 Shincha. I’ll be well stocked with Japanese greens and Pu’erh
teaformeplease

Fri May 15, 2020 5:19 pm

I've preordered some things from Yunomi but they may not be ready to ship until June. Placed my first order with Kettl to hold me over and they got to me within a few days since they are shipping from NYC. I am looking forward to digging into their Mebuki and Hachiju Hachiya Shincha (plus some matcha chocolate that I couldn't resist). :lol:
Noonie

Fri May 15, 2020 5:33 pm

teaformeplease wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:19 pm
I've preordered some things from Yunomi but they may not be ready to ship until June. Placed my first order with Kettl to hold me over and they got to me within a few days since they are shipping from NYC. I am looking forward to digging into their Mebuki and Hachiju Hachiya Shincha (plus some matcha chocolate that I couldn't resist). :lol:
I’ve always wanted to try Matcha chocolate but never remember to order any. Enjoy the tea and the chocolate!
vuanguyen

Sat May 16, 2020 12:02 am

Victoria wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 pm
Started off with O-Cha's Sae Midori, after four sessions over the past few days I'm finding it more delicate and elegant than past years. It is very good, just not an in your face Shincha explosion, more like a refined Tsuen Kyoto experience. Aromatics are also more subdued. Steeping so far at 5.2g/ 140ml/ 170f/ 55sec in preheated Gyokuryu (Mr. Umehara Jiro) sesame filter reduction kyusu, and 5.9g/ 135ml/ 170f/ 55sec in preheated shudei Yamada Sou wall filter kyusu. The results were primarily different because the wall filter on the Sou let out quite a few of the very finely broken up fukamushi leaves, so the brew was bolder but not better. Has anyone else tried it yet?
I tried this tea today. Not the best but not the worst. It tasted...very mediocre to me. For my taste buds, the best fukamushi tea year in and year out has to be the "Organic Kagoshima Sencha Saemidori" from Yuuki-cha (https://www.yuuki-cha.com/organic-shinc ... order=DESC). Some people say Japanese organic teas taste worse than the regular senchas. I have to respectfully disagree but again I'm no Japanese green tea expert :D

Looking forward to try the Tsuen asamushi "Uji Shincha Kirameki" from O-cha tomorrow.

IMG_2437.jpg
IMG_2437.jpg (203.32 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
Tor

Sat May 16, 2020 1:30 am

Victoria wrote:

Japan Post shipping to US is still suspended. You can check its status here.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/infor ... ex_en.html
Victoria
Admin

Sat May 16, 2020 1:33 pm

vuanguyen wrote:

I tried this tea today. Not the best but not the worst. It tasted...very mediocre to me. For my taste buds, the best fukamushi tea year in and year out has to be the "Organic Kagoshima Sencha Saemidori" from Yuuki-cha (https://www.yuuki-cha.com/organic-shinc ... order=DESC). Some people say Japanese organic teas taste worse than the regular senchas. I have to respectfully disagree but again I'm no Japanese green tea expert :D

Looking forward to try the Tsuen asamushi "Uji Shincha Kirameki" from O-cha tomorrow.
In the past I found the Uji Shincha Kirameki asamushi to be on the lighter side, like a delicious sweet pea liquor. I haven’t tried Yukki-Cha yet, did you order this years 2020 Shincha from them? They have a huge Shincha selection, did you order any others as well? How are they shipping from Japan? Reading the ‘info’ page sounds like the owner is quite combative and has had issues with tea community at large. Ouch.

I’ve also had many very good organic sencha, one in particular I enjoyed all last year into this one too, a Kabusecha from Kagoshima Seicha. The issue discussed with organic teas is that just because it’s organic doesn’t guarantee it will taste better. Regarding O-Cha’s Sae Midori, I’m sipping on it right now and find it very good, elegant and sweet with a few savory notes, it’s just more delicate than past years, very good though imo 🍃. How are you steeping yours?
Victoria
Admin

Sat May 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Just noticed Zencha has several Shincha up on their site. Last time I had a very good gyokuro from Zencha during a Gyokuro OTTI #17 Chip did back in 2013. I see though their web site hasn’t updated shipping methods yet. Anyone order from Zencha is past few years?
LuckyMe

Sun May 17, 2020 6:52 am

Victoria wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:33 pm
vuanguyen wrote:

In the past I found the Uji Shincha Kirameki asamushi to be on the lighter side, like a delicious sweet pea liquor. I haven’t tried Yukki-Cha yet, did you order this years 2020 Shincha from them? They have a huge Shincha selection, did you order any others as well? How are they shipping from Japan? Reading the ‘info’ page sounds like the owner is quite combative and has had issues with tea community at large. Ouch.

I’ve also had many very good organic sencha, one in particular I enjoyed all last year into this one too, a Kabusecha from Kagoshima Seicha. The issue discussed with organic teas is that just because it’s organic doesn’t guarantee it will taste better. Regarding O-Cha’s Sae Midori, I’m sipping on it right now and find it very good, elegant and sweet with a few savory notes, it’s just more delicate than past years, very good though imo 🍃. How are you steeping yours?
@VictoriaI’ve been ordering from Yuuki-Cha for years and the tea has overall been very good quality. As you noted, they have a huge selection that seems to keep growing. Last year I got Chiran Sencha and Yakushima sencha Kuriwatse for shincha. Both were solid though not the best ones I’ve gotten from there.

My favorite Yuuki-Cha sencha has to be Kirishima Asatsuyu. It was incredibly fruity (for a sencha), sweet, and just the right balance of umami. That was a couple of years ago, hopefully it’s still as good this year. I also loved their kamairichas and am waiting for the ones from the new harvest before I place my order.

I’m curious about the new Shimofuri senchas this year and may pick up one of them along with the Ureshino sencha which is Tamaryokucha, another style of Japanese green I’ve interested in trying.