Shincha 2020, "the Year of COVID-19"

Non-oxidized tea
Chip
Admin

Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:18 am

Just discussing with Kevin ...

"Just say that we’re going to start shipping those three teas on Friday by FedEx to the USA.

And that the SM is especially good.

Because it is."

3 teas being SM, YM, & Chiran improved.

Shipping is simply going to be different from Japan this year. My least fave expression sums it up, "it is what it is."

So you either get on board w/ all the weirdness of it or sit it out. I am on this Shincha train.

Kevin ... and I suspect other vendors are stressed out over all this but simply do not want to cancel Shincha. They are going above and beyond for their customers!

Be thankful, show appreciation, and CELEBRATE Shincha during these challenging times!

Things to note ...

1. Shipping is more $$$. This is a reason everyone uses Japan Post. But it is off the table for most of us now. Figure, likely paying a flat rate for up to 8ish bags.

2. Shipping is a lot more work for vendors ... be patient. There is a lot more paperwork for each order!

3. No shipping on weekends.

4. May 3-6 is Golden Week, no shipping.

5. Delivery will likely take longer ... remains to be seen.

... lastly, hopefully nobody has packages enroute previously that got caught up in the Japan Post delays and cancellations. Kevin has customers whose packages had been shipped a month ago, and it is impossible to say where they are. They will likely be returned to vendors.
faj

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:32 pm

Chip wrote:
"Just say that we’re going to start shipping those three teas on Friday by FedEx to the USA."
Thanks a lot for keeping us informed @Chip. Do you have an idea when their website will be updated to accept orders for schincha?
Chip
Admin

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:55 pm

faj wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:32 pm
Chip wrote:
"Just say that we’re going to start shipping those three teas on Friday by FedEx to the USA."
Thanks a lot for keeping us informed Chip. Do you have an idea when their website will be updated to accept orders for schincha?
He told me no newsletter, no preorder ... when he has it, he will post it. Should be Friday.

Very small window to potentially beat the weekend - no shipping and Golden Week (May 3-6) - again no shipping.

Sooo ...

"When he posts it, will they come ... " Tea Field of Dreams 2020 :mrgreen:
S_B

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:19 pm

He told me no newsletter, no preorder ... when he has it, he will post it. Should be Friday.

Very small window to potentially beat the weekend - no shipping and Golden Week (May 3-6) - again no shipping.

Sooo ...

Not trying to be cheeky at all here, but I assume that must mean our Thursday? (Stateside)
Chip
Admin

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:30 pm

S_B wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:19 pm

Sooo ...

Not trying to be cheeky at all here, but I assume that must mean our Thursday? (Stateside)
I was just allowing readers to figure that part out ... 😉

Bottom line, he did not give any indication of time whatsoever.
S_B

Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:06 pm

Did I just voluntarily lose my edge up here? :lol:
Chip
Admin

Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:56 pm

S_B wrote:
Maybe ... I remember an incident on TC years ago where a member was discussing on the IM a limited "buy now" one-off Korean teaware item offering. Another member ... just so happened to buy it right at that moment.

Similar. In a sense, buyers are often competitors for limited resources. In this case, I was giving the information but a little bit of thought was required by the reader. :mrgreen:
S_B

Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:29 pm

Chip wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:56 pm
S_B wrote:
Maybe ... I remember an incident on TC years ago where a member was discussing on the IM a limited "buy now" one-off Korean teaware item offering. Another member ... just so happened to buy it right at that moment.

Similar. In a sense, buyers are often competitors for limited resources. In this case, I was giving the information but a little bit of thought was required by the reader. :mrgreen:
I'm like the dummy that explains the joke and ruins it...please don't judge me too fiercely :oops:
Chip
Admin

Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:51 pm

S_B, no problema ... :mrgreen:
Chip
Admin

Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:46 am

Like everything else touched by COVID-19, this is a fluid situation as I share what I can from one vendor who I have dealt with since ... hmmm ... around 2003.

For Kevin at O-cha, this has been a rollercoaster ride. He is doing his utmost best to bring ... deliver Shincha as he has done for 21 years now to aficionados around the world.

And now a short delay. The Shincha will not reach O-cha on time to get it on its way before the weekend and Golden Week. Remember no Fedex pickups over weekends and Golden Week.

USA will have to wait a week, but he will likely begin taking orders for USA customers on Tuesday! Orders will go out beginning May 7th.

However, Canadians and Europeans will get a head start on USA orders. He thinks he will begin taking orders and possibly ship on Monday May 4th.
Chip
Admin

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:59 am

Kettl arrival today! First package of the Year of COVID-19 Shincha. Hopefully more to come asap!
20200430_124340.jpg
20200430_124340.jpg (488.75 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
I have 2 pairs ... what do you have?
20200430_124422.jpg
20200430_124422.jpg (449.63 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
Perfect timing as I just emptied a bag of 2019 Kabuse-cha from O-cha just prior to its arrival. I'll open 1 bag ... Mebuki or Chiran?

It is noteworthy that Kettl opts for non nitro flushing of their sencha. Opting instead for oxygen free packaging. Not 100% sure what that means but will surely find out.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:08 pm

Exciting news @Chip in da house, in da hand, let the good time roll. Looking forward to your tasting impressions. I’ve sort of come to the conclusion the nitrogen flushing preserves the freshness of fresh Shincha longer than simply removing oxygen. That’s coming from my long term refrigeration ‘experiments’.
Chip
Admin

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:28 pm

... kettl uses de-oxygenator packets.
faj

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:31 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:08 pm
I’ve sort of come to the conclusion the nitrogen flushing preserves the freshness of fresh Shincha longer than simply removing oxygen.
Air is about 78% nitrogen, and 21% oxygen. Removing 100% of oxygen and nitrogen flushing are very close to being the same thing, in theory, at least. I assume nitrogen flushing and oxygen removal with packets are both not perfect, but I have no idea if there is a significant discrepancy.

Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_scavenger) has interesting information. The article states that most oxygen remover packets are simply based on oxidizing iron (rust!) with salt as a catalyst, and can remove up to 99,99% of the oxygen. One gram of iron can absorb up to 300ml of oxygen once fully oxidized, so you don't need much for bag of tea.

I would not be surprised if, in the end, the main factor in preservation ends up being the leak-tightness of the package, while the oxygen removal method has little impact. This is just a hunch, not based on direct knowledge or tests.
S_B

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:13 pm

Chip wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:59 am
Kettl arrival today! First package of the Year of COVID-19 Shincha. Hopefully more to come asap!

I have 2 pairs ... what do you have?

Perfect timing as I just emptied a bag of 2019 Kabuse-cha from O-cha just prior to its arrival. I'll open 1 bag ... Mebuki or Chiran?

It is noteworthy that Kettl opts for non nitro flushing of their sencha. Opting instead for oxygen free packaging. Not 100% sure what that means but will surely find out.
Awesome! Looks like mine will be here by Monday. Looking forward to trying the Sae Midori(s)!
Last edited by S_B on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.