Shincha 2020, "the Year of COVID-19"

Non-oxidized tea
S_B

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:06 pm

I had a quick chat earlier tonight while browsing on their website, during which the said they were shipping from the US, and receiving their deliveries through Fedex, which they seemed cautiously confident would deliver to them the tea they will be shipping in the next few days.
Awesome, thanks for the info, Faj!
Chip
Admin

Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:27 am

Kevin from O-cha just messaged me that it appears he has alternate shipping arrangements! :mrgreen:
S_B

Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Chip wrote:
Kevin from O-cha just messaged me that it appears he has alternate shipping arrangements! :mrgreen:
woohoo! I eagerly await the email updates :D
Chip
Admin

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:36 pm

S_B wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:44 pm
Chip wrote:
woohoo! I eagerly await the email updates :D
I may have spoken too soon in my enthusiastic optimism.

As I mentioned in the Japan Post topic, Kevin ran into a major problem w/ best alternate Yamato/UPS. Seems they will not accept shipments containing food including tea bound for the USA. Possibly due to too much FDA paperwork.
Noonie

Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:24 am

My plan with Shincha this year...

I have about 8x100g bags of Sencha from 2019 in my tea fridge. Once I’m close to finished these I’ll order 2020 Shincha if still available, or Sencha if not. So long as I always have some Sencha on hand I’m a happy guy.
thetealetter

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:51 am

I grabbed a bag of Mebuki from Kettl. I had Chiran last year and it was REALLY good. Trying not to over-order this year so I figure one bag of the new stuff. I may grab a couple things from Yunomi as well. Their Ubugoe (2019 link) Marushige Shimizu from last year was exceptional and I also quite enjoyed the kuritawase + asatsuyu blend from Hachimanjyu.

Ippodo now has a US/CA store and I may consider a bag from them. Though I generally don't expect to be gobsmacked by their tea, they can provide solid drinking material.
LuckyMe

Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Shincha is starting to roll in at Yuuki-Cha. I was about to order some Saemidori Sencha but hit the brakes when I saw the shipping cost: $36 through Special Express. :o Quite a sticker shock since shipping for one packet of tea is usually $4 and some change.

However it appears this is a flat rate price. Shipping remains the same when a couple of extra teas are added. I’m going to hold off until all of their teas are in stock and I can order a bunch of items including other stuff like kamairicha, matcha, hojicha, etc. in a single order.
S_B

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:21 pm

I grabbed a bag of Mebuki from Kettl. I had Chiran last year and it was REALLY good. Trying not to over-order this year so I figure one bag of the new stuff.
Nice! I'm curious if Kettl actually has their Shincha in hand stateside yet. I placed an order last week too but haven't seen anything ship. I'm happily sipping away at other stuff with no hurry but I wasn't sure it if was "preordering" or if they may just be super slammed.
faj

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:41 pm

S_B wrote:
Nice! I'm curious if Kettl actually has their Shincha in hand stateside yet. I placed an order last week too but haven't seen anything ship.
I have received a notice Today that the label had been created for my order, but it is not in USPS's possession yet. I would take this to mean my order was actually prepared and is about to be shipped. Based on a quick chat I had with them prior to ordering, they had more than one shipment coming in from Japan, and my order was not part of the first one which was sold out before I ordered. I know there were at least two batches, but cannot say if there were more than that. If I remember correctly, the first shipment they already had on hand, the second one was due to arrive last Friday.
thetealetter

Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:03 pm

S_B wrote:
I grabbed a bag of Mebuki from Kettl. I had Chiran last year and it was REALLY good. Trying not to over-order this year so I figure one bag of the new stuff.
Nice! I'm curious if Kettl actually has their Shincha in hand stateside yet. I placed an order last week too but haven't seen anything ship. I'm happily sipping away at other stuff with no hurry but I wasn't sure it if was "preordering" or if they may just be super slammed.
I got my shipping notification today and I ordered around a week ago, so we'll see how things go!
Chip
Admin

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:55 am

thetealetter wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:03 pm
S_B wrote:
I got my shipping notification today and I ordered around a week ago, so we'll see how things go!
Slow go from Brooklyn as anticipated. My package has not advanced either.
Chip
Admin

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:57 am

Finally Kevin has things worked out with Fedex and negotiated best rate possible.

I am relieved that he is not using DHL whose service has been horrid in good times.

He expects to have Shincha in hand and ready to roll in a day or two!
Victoria
Admin

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:24 am

Chip wrote:
Finally Kevin has things worked out with Fedex and negotiated best rate possible.

I am relieved that he is not using DHL whose service has been horrid in good times.

Yeah 💥 exciting news. I’d better hurry up and finish my 2013 Shincha :)
S_B

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:16 pm

Chip wrote:

Alright! Here we go!
Chip
Admin

Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:38 am

Kettl package is now in PA Dutch Country ... Lancaster. One county over, so hoping for delivery tomorrow.

Watching O-cha closely.