Matcha Tea Newbie...

Non-oxidized tea
Baisao

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:07 pm

TripleB67 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:33 pm
I guess you can have however may infusions until the flavor runs out of the leaves or the time you have to steep them gets ridiculously long? So if I leave them in the kyusu for say a day...will they dry out or will they stay wet until I use them again the next day?
We're happy to help. The leaves of sencha will stay wet all day in a covered kyusu or hohin. I probably wouldn't steep them after 8 hours, to be more precise. It seems to me that tea steeped in quick succession tastes better than tea that's been left out. I think some oxidation takes place and begins to hurt the flavor and fragrance of the tea. Essentially, you brew the tea until it looses its flavor. The times I submitted above are estimates that work well for me. Eventually you will get good enough that you won't need to time it, especially if you get into oolong teas.
TripleB67 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:33 pm
No worries on the metric measurements. I modify tennis racquets in my spare time so I'm used to working with grams because I can be more exact with my modifications to the racquets. I bought this scale to use with my tennis racquets (although I only paid $25 for it): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CM6TVI/r ... =UTF8&th=1. It's really accurate but obviously won't fit into my pocket to take with me. I'm teaching from home now because of Covid-19 so luckily I can experiment with various teas within the comfort of my home. Edit: of course now that I look at the scales you mention, they are accurate to .01 gram and mine is only accurate to 1 gram - I guess I better invest in a more accurate scale :D
I'm happy to hear you are familiar with using metric. It makes things so much easier. Most people will give whole gram units for weight but I know that the grams feature on my large kitchen scale is off by +-1 gram. When measuring tea, it helps to have an accurate gram measure, especially with matcha. Being off by a gram will make a significant difference.

There are ways to guess the weight of oolong by eye but it is nearly impossible to do this with sencha and matcha, in my opinion. I know that two scoops to approximately 70 ml of water is what's recommended for making usucha (the more typical matcha preparation) but I have found that the weight scooped to matcha to be inconsistent because the powder can have more or less air in it. While it lacking in sophistication, I use a scale for these two teas to be consistent. My Japanese tea has improved quite a bit since then.

Cheers!
TripleB67

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:40 pm

Baisao wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:07 pm

We're happy to help. The leaves of sencha will stay wet all day in a covered kyusu or hohin. I probably wouldn't steep them after 8 hours, to be more precise. It seems to me that tea steeped in quick succession tastes better than tea that's been left out. I think some oxidation takes place and begins to hurt the flavor and fragrance of the tea. Essentially, you brew the tea until it looses its flavor. The times I submitted above are estimates that work well for me. Eventually you will get good enough that you won't need to time it, especially if you get into oolong teas.

I'm happy to hear you are familiar with using metric. It makes things so much easier. Most people will give whole gram units for weight but I know that the grams feature on my large kitchen scale is off by +-1 gram. When measuring tea, it helps to have an accurate gram measure, especially with matcha. Being off by a gram will make a significant difference.

There are ways to guess the weight of oolong by eye but it is nearly impossible to do this with sencha and matcha, in my opinion. I know that two scoops to approximately 70 ml of water is what's recommended for making usucha (the more typical matcha preparation) but I have found that the weight scooped to matcha to be inconsistent because the powder can have more or less air in it. While it lacking in sophistication, I use a scale for these two teas to be consistent. My Japanese tea has improved quite a bit since then.

Cheers!
Thanks for the clarification on the time you can steep the sencha leaves. Can you steep them in succession and then save the tea to drink later? Is sencha to be consumed warm only, or can you put the extra tea in the fridge?

Oolong? Wow, I cannot wait to dive into all of these flavors I've never experienced before. I've lived in North Carolina all but one year of my life so up until I tried the matcha two days ago about the only tea I've known is "sweet tea"...which I assume is just black tea with a ton of sugar added.

How does the flavor profile of matcha, sencha, and oolong differ from one another? I guess I'll really have to find out for myself but would love to hear your thoughts. Is one type of oolong better than the other? (I only ask because I did a quick search and saw darjeeling and nilgiri)

I'll look into getting a scale that measures weights down to .01g.

Again, I apologize for all the questions...I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and offer your expertise with teas. I find your input much more valuable than watching videos.

Have a fantastic day!

TripleB67
Baisao

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:08 pm

I’d consider drinking it immediately and warm. You might consider taking the spent leaves and cold steeping them overnight in a pitcher placed in the fridge.

Yes, Southern iced tea is from Camillia sinensis-assamica, which give it a bitter and twangy/malty edge. Matcha, sencha, and oolong are made from Camillia sinensis-sinensis, which is generally less bitter and lacks the twangy/malty edge of the other. Camillia sinensis-assamica is what is used for British-style tea and in my opinion benefits from sugar and/or dairy to make it palatable. That said, I drink my Southern iced tea sans sugar and always have.

Oolongs. That’s a huge topic as there are countless variations. One of the things that makes it different from green tea is that the leaves are crushed and their juices are allowed to oxidize* more or less before the process is stopped with heat. The more it is allowed to oxidize* the darker and generally fruitier the result.

Green, yellow, oolong, red/black, heicha are all descriptions of the processing the leaves have had rather than the type/species of leaf used.

I love matcha, sencha, and some Taiwanese greens and yellows but my favorite tea is oolong. There are so many varieties from so many distinct terroirs that it’s impossible for me to get bored with them. From floral high mountain tea to fruitier dong ding and medium oxidized Tieguanyin.

* The leaf isn’t really oxidized, the juices darken as part of an enzymatic process but people often call it oxidation.
S_B

Thu May 28, 2020 11:49 pm

Nis wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:42 am
Whenever someone asks me about the health benefits of tea, my answer is that it's not bad for you, probably good in fact, but that they should drink it because they like it and consider anything else a (slight) bonus.
TripleB67 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:34 am
So after a good bit of reading and searching I stumbled onto a site talking about this "super tea" called matcha.
Matcha is a prime example of things getting blown out of proportion by headline-focused media and others.
TripleB67 wrote:
- Are there other types of powder teas that offer excellent health benefits that are fixed and drank like matcha tea? If so, what are they?
You can find other powdered teas, but as far as I know, none of them taste good. In fact, most of them probably just exist to cash in on the matcha fad. And a lot of the cheap "matcha" is actually Chinese green tea that has been powdered.
TripleB67 wrote:
- What other advice can you give me when it comes to matcha tea...or any other teas for that matter - whether it be things to look for, ways to fix it, websites to help me, where to order in the future, or anything else?
The following two videos are probably the best I have seen on how to prepare it. The German has subtitles.

This video series is a good primer on everything matcha: https://www.the-tea-crane.com/free-matc ... ni-course/

Where to buy it? Rarely in your local shops, unfortunately. Matcha requires some care to not go stale - and most shops simply don't know enough.

O-Cha is good value and the selection is small enough that you won't get lost.
The Tea Crane seems to be very good.
Nio Teas I have also heard good things about.
These videos are really interesting, but both offer different temperature suggestions for water. I see most vendors and blogs around almost exclusively recommending 80C, both for taste, and to achieve proper foam, but I am assuming that lower temperatures must also be possible? I'd be interested if like Sencha that temperature can be played with a bit...Are any experienced matcha drinkers able to chime in here? As a Matcha novice, I'd love to hear more~
pantry

Fri May 29, 2020 12:57 am

S_B wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:49 pm
These videos are really interesting, but both offer different temperature suggestions for water. I see most vendors and blogs around almost exclusively recommending 80C, both for taste, and to achieve proper foam, but I am assuming that lower temperatures must also be possible? I'd be interested if like Sencha that temperature can be played with a bit...Are any experienced matcha drinkers able to chime in here? As a Matcha novice, I'd love to hear more~
I typically brew mine at higher temperature than that. Probably around 85-95C. Foam-wise, it's also something that you can play around with. Proper matcha doesn't have to be fully foamed. (Some tea ceremony school strives for full foam; some prefers partial, leaving a single 'pond' in the middle, etc.) Depending on the shape/material of the tea bowl, you may have to adjust your whisking techniques. The best way to learn is to experiment with it. The most important thing I'd say, is making sure you strain the matcha before brewing ;)
Baisao

Fri May 29, 2020 10:48 am

@S_B, I’m not obsessive about the temperature of water for Japanese teas, especially matcha, except to note that most react poorly to water that’s too hot.

I usually have my kettle going at around 85° then remove from heat. I pour some of that water in to my chawan to warm it, pour it out. By this time the water in my kettle has probably dropped to 80° or so. I then add my matcha, then add the water to prepare the matcha. The temperature probably drops again even in the warmer chawan because the bowl is warm but not as hot as the water, therefore the chawan absorbs some of the heat of the water. Because of this additional and rapid heat loss, I’m guessing that the water is actually around 65° by the time I begin whisking. What I am getting at is that there is a delta between the temp you begin with and the temp you end up with because of time and the chawan acting as a heat sink.

I have an IR thermometer for measuring temps but never want to intrude on the moment by taking measures, if that makes sense.

With this process the matcha is pleasantly, soothingly warm but not steaming. It’s texture is like hot chocolate and is not bitter. Goldilocks matcha.
Studiocasa
New user

Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:50 am

Thanks a lot for the post! It was very useful to me while getting properly informed before doing my blog entry

https://www.studiocasamag.com/en/post/w ... -sensation